Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Leopard 2A4M CAN
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 03:55 AM UTC
Rrrrrrolllllll up the rim to win!
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I dig some digging and I can confirm that the tank as depicted in the kit existed.

Yes, a Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN with the Velcro strips, no Barracuda MCS, ECM boxes, carbine rifle box, and hull and turret slat armour mounted.

Sorry folks, I won't be posting an image.

So, if you want to build the kit completely out of box it would be correct.

And wont it be funny if HobbyBoss will also release a normal version without Slat armor? it is always welcomed that more brand new leopard kit can be done from HB

If you leave off the slat armour you have the current version. Just consider this new kit a 2-in-1 and all will be good.
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 08:38 AM UTC
Is Meng gonna do one too?
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think so. They seem to be going another Leopard route.
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 03:36 PM UTC
Well, it looks a great kit even if the rear error is quite a problem.

For an Afghanistan one my question is: with the existing PE baracuda nets is it really difficult to do our own accurate Leopard???

A kit to add to my two dozens of kits to buy!
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 07:04 PM UTC
I'm wondering how much of a base kit is actually seen under PSM's Barracuda conversion? Does it even matter if we use Hobby Boss 2A4 or 2A4 CAN under the PSM conversion?

Mario
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 08:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm wondering how much of a base kit is actually seen under PSM's Barracuda conversion? Does it even matter if we use Hobby Boss 2A4 or 2A4 CAN under the PSM conversion?

Mario

I did their 2A6M CAN conversion and it was basically the kit's lower hull and wheels plus a few odds and ends. I haven't built their 2A4M CAN yet, but it is very similar.
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 10:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks for the review.

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean about the slat armour. Is there some issues with it for build a real vehicle in Afghanistan ?

At the current time with current reference images the slat armour was only observed attached to the five Leopard 2A4M CAN tanks that were deployed to Afghanistan. When the tanks were in Afghanistan they were also fitted with the Barracuda Mobile Camouflage System (MCS) panels on the hull and turret. They also had a tan painted Carbine stowage box and two tan painted ECM boxes on the turret top.

Neither the Barracuda or the slat armour or the ECM boxes are mounted on current Leopard 2A4M CANs in Canada. They were delivered with the ECM boxes and carbine box attached. The ECM boxes were removed to prevent damage. The carbine box is still attached. The T antenna mounts are standard on all 2A4M CANs. In Afghanistan there were four antennas attached (two on each). In Canada current 2A4M CANs have two antennas attached. One antenna is mounted on each T shaped mount. The antennas can be seen on the front position or the rear position on the T shaped mounts.

For detailed digital reference images of Canadian Leopard 2A4M CANs and Canada's other Leopard 2s my DVD set is exactly what you need.

Thanks for your answer.
Hellrabbit
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 01:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I dig some digging and I can confirm that the tank as depicted in the kit existed.

Yes, a Canadian Leopard 2A4M CAN with the Velcro strips, no Barracuda MCS, ECM boxes, carbine rifle box, and hull and turret slat armour mounted.

Sorry folks, I won't be posting an image.

So, if you want to build the kit completely out of box it would be correct.

And wont it be funny if HobbyBoss will also release a normal version without Slat armor? it is always welcomed that more brand new leopard kit can be done from HB

If you leave off the slat armour you have the current version. Just consider this new kit a 2-in-1 and all will be good.

the standard A4M need redesign the turret top so that the storage box wont be there for sure and fit the "accurate" request. BTW: got some good news from Trumpeter..If any of you feel the back grill is a big big big problem. the replacement sercive for the correct part will also be arranged when the fix is ready.(and if you dont want wait for a long time for a replacement part and afraid of the postal cost from China....the furture release of other new variant will add an extra back plate just in case) For me it wont be a big deal because the area will be hidden by the slat armor. it is fine for me. just my 2 cents. so be happy. the only flaw is gone for once.
Hellrabbit
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Where is the A7? the countless waiting......so slow and too many tease....not funny
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Where is the A7? the countless waiting......so slow and too many tease....not funny

Countless waiting? They just announced the Leopard 2A7 about 50 days ago!
Hellrabbit
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Countless waiting? They just announced the Leopard 2A7 about 50 days ago!

i dont think they even have ability to get the A7 done..first is scud. then chieftan. pfff..
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 03:38 AM UTC
Squadron has the kit in stock, FYI
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 04:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mario

Thank you for asking this question! I have built the PSM Leopard 2A4M CAN Barracuda conversion and I used the basic Hobby Boss Leopard 2A4 kit. You hardly use any of the actually kit with the conversion. The lower hull and suspension, some detail parts on the upper hull, and some detail parts on the turret. With the Barracuda MCS many details are covered or supplied in the conversion.

That being said I am not discounting the use of the new Hobby Boss kit. The new Hobby Boss 2A4M kit provides the lower hull side add-on armour panels...the PSM kit does not. The Hobby Boss kit includes the reinforcing bars on the bottom rear hull...the Hobby Boss kit and the PSM conversion do not.

In building the 2A4M CAN Barracuda PSM conversion I can confidently say that you can see literally none of the lower hull sides where the add-on armour panels would be located. If you can live without that detail then simply stick with the basic Hobby Boss Leopard 2A4 kit for the base kit with the conversion.

I hope that helps you and other modellers out.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 04:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For an Afghanistan one my question is: with the existing PE baracuda nets is it really difficult to do our own accurate Leopard???

It is difficult. The Barracuda MCS is not just camouflage nets draped over the tank. They are constructed of solid panels that vary in size and shape with the camouflage netting attached to the panels. Some of the panels overlap and some of the panels fit edges of other. Some have tight edges and others appear to have flexible loose edges.

If a producer was to create an aftermarket Barracuda MCS set it would have to be AFV specific. Likely along the same way the thin resin sets of Zimmerit have been produced. The producer would need to have the proper technical diagrams showing the layout on the rear tank in order to create it in 1/35. Even then they would have to get the look of the Barracuda correct. So far, PSM is the only company to get it looking very close to the real thing.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW: got some good news from Trumpeter..If any of you feel the back grill is a big big big problem. the replacement sercive for the correct part will also be arranged when the fix is ready.(and if you dont want wait for a long time for a replacement part and afraid of the postal cost from China....the furture release of other new variant will add an extra back plate just in case) For me it wont be a big deal because the area will be hidden by the slat armor. it is fine for me. just my 2 cents. so be happy. the only flaw is gone for once.

Well done Trumpeter / Hobby Boss!
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mario

Thank you for asking this question! I have built the PSM Leopard 2A4M CAN Barracuda conversion and I used the basic Hobby Boss Leopard 2A4 kit. You hardly use any of the actually kit with the conversion. The lower hull and suspension, some detail parts on the upper hull, and some detail parts on the turret. With the Barracuda MCS many details are covered or supplied in the conversion.

That being said I am not discounting the use of the new Hobby Boss kit. The new Hobby Boss 2A4M kit provides the lower hull side add-on armour panels...the PSM kit does not. The Hobby Boss kit includes the reinforcing bars on the bottom rear hull...the Hobby Boss kit and the PSM conversion do not.

In building the 2A4M CAN Barracuda PSM conversion I can confidently say that you can see literally none of the lower hull sides where the add-on armour panels would be located. If you can live without that detail then simply stick with the basic Hobby Boss Leopard 2A4 kit for the base kit with the conversion.

I just looked at the online copy of the directions at Hobbysearch. Doesn't look like the add on armor would be too hard to make, if one really wanted to add the detail. Same goes for the three reinforcing strips. I was thinking that PSM included those, but now I remember it was in the Storm Miniatures conversion. Since I ordered one of the new kits, I probably will just use those kit parts as a template for the PSM kit/old HB Leo. (I am one of those "if I know it's missing, I feel like I need to add it" people) I have one of their Leopard 2Es to use and since that kit is useless for anything else, I might as well get some use out of it.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 08:08 AM UTC
Just a few of my favourites to wet your whistle, I am really looking forward to this kit. I'm trying to get a quick build of my Y-Modelle conversion done first though!:

Notice on the last photo this tank is missing the rear left tail light cluster and mudflap.

Cheers,
Jim
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 09:06 AM UTC
Excellent pics Jim.

Are the first two pics at the Ralston Rodeo?
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 09:49 AM UTC
Hey Jason, yep, Ralston Rodeo 2012, first time got a good look at the beastie!

Cheers,
Jim
terminators
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 10:48 AM UTC
Nice pics. The tank looks a bit stange with only the velcro strips.

Question about the tank. What is the function of those parts with a cross on the rear of the turret ?

Are they removed when the MCS Barracuda is applied ?

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 11:14 AM UTC
They are snow grousers. They replace individual track pads to provide better track grip on snow and ice.

They are not removed with the Barracuda in place. The Barracuda covers the six grousers on the rear of the turret. The grousers on the turret bins are not covered by the Barracuda panels so they remain exposed.
DAR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 250 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 12:38 PM UTC
Thanks for posting the pictures Jim.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 02:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the answer Jason. Very much appreciated.

Mario
terminators
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They are snow grousers. They replace individual track pads to provide better track grip on snow and ice.

They are not removed with the Barracuda in place. The Barracuda covers the six grousers on the rear of the turret. The grousers on the turret bins are not covered by the Barracuda panels so they remain exposed.

Thank you Jason.