_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Soviet Camo
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 - 05:17 PM UTC
The Hong Model Shilka calls out Gunze C133 Earth, C313 Yellow and C70 Dark Green(for Iraq). I have the AK Modern Russian Colors Vol 1. The paints included are Black Grey 4008, Greyish Yellow 4131, Mustard Yellow 4132, Pale Grey 4133, Green Khaki 4134 and Base Greeen 4135. Can I use the AK set for all of the colors on the illustration? If so, which colors are which? TIA
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 401 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 05:40 AM UTC
For a model, sometimes it's more important for it to look nice than to get the real color spot-on. If the colors are close enough, and they look good to you, I'd say go with them. I spent years trying to match exact colors, and it's not worth it. There are dozens of factors affecting the way a color appears, and the "real" color isn't always what it seems.

When I do models now I always lighten up the colors because weathering tends to darken things a little.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 11:24 AM UTC
i agree with Krupp,and you have also the Scale factor,if you paint a real tank in OD and you put exactly the same OD on a 1/35 model of the same tank it looks a lot darker then the real becose is smaller and a lot less light "touch" the model and this make you eyes see the color darker then the reality
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 03:24 PM UTC
Thank you for the advice. I understand color variance. And, I found the Iraq Afghanistan set from AK has the colors I am looking for. I wanted to give AK a try. The colors diverge slightly from what you see on your monitor. This is why I was looking for specific colors that should match real life. I believe hobby paints usually take into account the scale factors, but stand to be proven wrong.
 _GOTOTOP