_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Japan Based Amazon Traders
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hi,

Looking at Iwata airbrushes on amazon.com and there are some pretty good prices.

Can these be trusted, selling 100% genuine Iwata products.

Are there any that you have used that you could recommend.

I should, before anyone suggests eBay, that I am a UK resident but I make business trips to the US frequently and have plenty of friends and colleagues in the US that can take deliveries for me. This has worked well for Amazon and credit card purchases in the past but PayPal is problematic because my verified address is in the UK - so that rules out eBay.

Cheers,

Nigel
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 05:52 AM UTC
PayPal is not a problem at all,without change your main adress you can easy ad other 2-3 sipping adress on your account easely and change shipping adress when you need,i live in Oz but when a purcese stuff from Europe and the shipping cost is to expensive i make send to my family in Switzerland in this way,few time i forget to change the shipping adress on my account and i contact directly the seller to send to another adress and never have any problem...
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 05:55 AM UTC
Hi Nigel,
I have purchased model kits and other things (tools and baby things for my son) from Japanese vendors on Amazon many times without any issues (takes about a month in shipping to the U.S.) last couple of years. I have never ordered an airbrush however.
My experience with Toy Shop Japan Hobbyone has been very positive - ordered 5 times from them. I've also ordered from Super Japan Style as well. Personally, I certainly trust Japanese vendors on Amazon over Chinese vendors on Ebay in terms of selling authentic stuff.
jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 05:58 AM UTC
I've had good amazon and eBay experience regarding returns. Paypal also is an added layer of security and peace of mind.

As to japanese retailers, I have bought 1 item non-model related that went through without any problems. Iwata airbrushes really are WAY cheaper in japan (I bought all my iwata's in japan during my visits).
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 06:11 AM UTC
I've purchased a load of Bandai Star wars kits from Japanese trades recently with no issues via Amazon / Paypal. The only thing I would say is don't expect it to arrive the same week, some arrive within 5 days but most almost a month after ordering via 'Standard' delivery.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 08:53 AM UTC
I bought my Iwata Revolution through a Japan based Amazon seller.. excellent service.. nothing to worry about there.

Hisham
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 09:05 AM UTC
Later in the year when I do get me a new airbrush,I might order mine through Japan then.
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

PayPal is not a problem at all,without change your main adress you can easy ad other 2-3 sipping adress on your account easely and change shipping adress when you need,i live in Oz but when a purcese stuff from Europe and the shipping cost is to expensive i make send to my family in Switzerland in this way,few time i forget to change the shipping adress on my account and i contact directly the seller to send to another adress and never have any problem...

I have personally experienced problems. I think it is more down to the sellers than PayPal. A good number of them say that they will only ship to the verified address. My understanding is to be verified, an address must be associated with a bank account.

As it happens I don't even have my UK bank account attached to my UK PayPal, just a credit card. So despite years and hundreds of problem-free transactions my PayPal account is not verified. Even if it was, if I added a US address tgat would not be the verified address so some sellers would not send to it.

Last year, I was in the US and I tried an online order from the Geek Store - this was with credit card, not Paypal. The order was accepted fine but after an hour rejected it. Spoke to Geek Store who claimed it was my bank. So to my bank who said that they hadn't even received the request. Spoke to Geek Store again and they said to retry the order. Did so and it was accepted and cancelled an hour later. Spoke to Geek Store again and spoke to a manager who admitted that they were cancelling it because it was a UK credit card with the order being sent to a US address. He took the order over the phone and manually forced it through the system. It worked then.

Cheers,

Nigel
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 03:04 PM UTC
Sorry but thats sound pretty funny to me,becose is my "story",i live in Australia were the 95% of my purcese is sendt the other 5% goes to my mather Swiss adress,but my Credit Card and Paypal is still Swiss related to my old adress in Switzerland and to a Swiss Bank were i dont have any account anymore,and also for stuff buy in Italy some time i make send the goods to my cusin there....never have problem with or without PayPal!!

The only place regect my card is Telstra the Aussie Phone Company...but they hare morons!...
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 06:39 PM UTC
Remember to add 20% VAT if customs intercepts your delivery into the UK.

That might wipe out any savings
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 03:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Remember to add 20% VAT if customs intercepts your delivery into the UK.

That might wipe out any savings

Absolutely plus the £15 (ish) courier handling fee.

I wasn't thinking of ordering it to be delivered to the UK - as you say there is little benefit.

I travel to the US on business frequently, so I would have it delivered to a US friend's address and pick it up on my next visit.

Cheers,

Nigel
j76ljr
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 03:48 PM UTC
I never had a issue with pay - pal but recently had a email from a scam pretending to be pay pal ! They send you a very official looking email ,stating you have suspicious activity on your acct! they used a very old card # and bank , that I havent used in years . they requested for me to update all my info . Just a heads up !
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 03:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I never had a issue with pay - pal but recently had a email from a scam pretending to be pay pal ! They send you a very official looking email ,stating you have suspicious activity on your acct! they used a very old card # and bank , that I havent used in years . they requested for me to update all my info . Just a heads up !

Me too same stuff more then few time...bastards!
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 05:37 PM UTC
Yeap, I have the same email from "paypal".

I only check the status and so on, from the web site.

Regards from the south
Alvaro
 _GOTOTOP