_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
how do I paint a captured T 34
caireparavel
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 07:08 AM UTC
I want to paint a T34 . First in its original Russian green then make it look like it had been through hell. Heavy weathering chipping faded paint etc. Then paint a German 3 color cammo on top of that then make it look like it had been through the same hell again. To the extent that the original faded paint scheme would be exposed in large areas. Put it in a small Diorama and call it " two careful owners"

Does anyone know if I could get away with using the hairspray method twice on the same model ? or is there a better way to attempt to do this. thanks
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I want to paint a T34 . First in its original Russian green then make it look like it had been through hell. Heavy weathering chipping faded paint etc. Then paint a German 3 color cammo on top of that then make it look like it had been through the same hell again. To the extent that the original faded paint scheme would be exposed in large areas. Put it in a small Diorama and call it " two careful owners"

Does anyone know if I could get away with using the hairspray method twice on the same model ? or is there a better way to attempt to do this. thanks

Hang on a second and think. Have you seen pictures of Beutepanzer (captured tanks) with massive discoloration and chipping, or just photographs of models showing massive discoloration and chipping? I ask because it's a fad, courtesy of "The Spanish School," and while it looks really cool, it doesn't look especially real. The fact is, most tanks lasted just weeks in combat (some just days), and never had time to fade. And paint manufacturing in the 1940's was a mature technology. Enamels were durable, and manufacturers added massive amounts of white lead to their paint specifically so it wouldn't chip easily.

Still, you might show some chipped paint in the German cammo and markings. Field applied paints could chip if they were applied over a dirty surface, as they would adhere to the dirt, not the paint beneath, which is why the first German tanks to arrive in North Africa chipped rather badly. Later vehicles that got their tropical paint in Europe fared much better in service.

Still, even here, how long did your tank survive in German service? Captured equipment was a mixed blessing at best. Spare parts would be a problem, and the danger of "Blue on Blue" fire was extreme. A withdrawing German T-34 returning to its lines could be mistaken for a Russian T-34 advancing on their lines, and at 800 meters, no markings would be visible. At least one German division banned the use of captured tanks after one such deadly "friendly fire" incident.

As for how to achieve chipping in multiple layers, assuming you still want to go that route, I'd suggest using masking fluid (rubber cement or latex in a bottle, basically), and create your chips in advance, rather than trying to use the hairspray method. That way, each layer of paint damage would be permanent. You can get small, random flecks by stippling the masking agent on with a coarse sponge.
PuddlePirate
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 09:30 AM UTC
I did a captured t 34 a while ago and did some extensive research. Most of the pictures I found had the dukelgelb and tri-camo painted on with non of the green showing underneath. I think the ones that were painted dunkelgelb were taken to a factory to be painted (correct me if i'm wrong)

P.S here's the video of how I painted mine 2 years ago for a group build. It's probably not of much help for what you're trying to achive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgKBfKxd960
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:52 AM UTC
if you seal every layer with some future or stuff like that you can make how many layers you want

Base-Hairspray-2°color-future or other cote-and so on....

historically i dont think is possible a Beutepanzer in that condition ,but if you like it .....do it!... and have fun!!...
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 01:15 PM UTC
I cannot agree more with Gerald, he is absolutely right. Russian tanks did not last long and even less in German hands. There was simply no time for heavy chipping, and not at all for paint fading.

Anyway if you want to go ahead, it is possible to use the hairspray twice. If I remember correctly Michael Rinaldi uses it for scratches showing red primer beneath, and then for the winter wash on top. As said, a protective coat in between is advisable.
caireparavel
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:14 PM UTC
I read an article that in 1941 the Germans captured 30 or so T34's that were undergoing maintenance/repair. So they shipped them off to Riga to be updated the link below is an article showing some examples of regiments that used them. So maybe there is a possibility that " two careful owners" may have existed.

A month ago I took the plunge and bought an airbrush and compressor( paasche talon) . I have painted a jagdpanther with it which came out ok after several re-sprays . So for my second vehicle I wanted to try something a bit more challenging that would help me learn hence this concept.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzerkampfwagen-t-34r-soviet-t-34-in-german-service.htm

caireparavel
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:17 PM UTC
Thank you very much Gerald I think the masking fluid and sponge , will be a better option.
caireparavel
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:31 PM UTC
Thank you Conrad enjoyed the video, Great paint job.
 _GOTOTOP