_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Airbrush articles?
PRH001
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 603 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 01:16 AM UTC
Would people find it useful to have articles which evaluate and use some of the popular airbrushes on the market using standard format, procedures and paints?
There seem to be quite a few locations on the internet that review airbrushes, but none that are really focused on how they work from a modeling perspective.

PH
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 01:22 AM UTC
I would read them, that's certain at 100%
oliver
Visit this Community
Beersheba, Israel
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 03:03 AM UTC
Would also read them to learn how to work better with my ones
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 08:26 AM UTC
Fine Scale Modeler some years ago did an article on airbrush artists(Modelers). The article had pictures of their work, described the air brushes they used and the air source. It went on to tell what type of paint they use and the types of models they prefer to build. I found it quite informative and it was interesting what equipment they preferred. It was not all high end equipment.
PRH001
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 09:50 AM UTC
My idea would be to show parts breakdowns, key features and spray patterns of the brush being discussed in the article, while specifying things like paint brand, thinning ratios and pressures used to produce those patterns.

Obviously, subjective things like balance, smoothness, finish, ease of cleaning, price etc would be discussed, but the main main focus would be to let people see what the brush they are looking at will do with common modeling products on plastic.

I have quite a few different airbrushes on hand so if there's enough people who'd find the data useful in our online community, I would be willing to put the pieces together.

TFrancoM5A1
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:24 AM UTC
https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

He's pretty much reviewed every popular airbrush there is and there are many useful tips also.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There seem to be quite a few locations on the internet that review airbrushes, but none that are really focused on how they work from a modeling perspective.

I disagree. Just look here at Kitmaker. F'instance:

Sparmax Max-4 Airbrush
http://kitmaker.net/features/6830

Review: Neo Side-feed Trigger Airbrush
http://kitmaker.net/features/5205

Airbrush Triple Treat Comparison
http://kitmaker.net/features/2365&page=1

Grex® Tritium. TS3
http://kitmaker.net/review/5312

There are over 30 articles about airbrushing on this page: http://kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showreviews&secid=15

11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 11:24 AM UTC
Reading is tedious. Videos man, it's the 21st century!!
varanusk
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 07:46 PM UTC
Yes, I would be interested also. Although there are many reviews here, if all are done by the same person it will be easier to compare.

As for the videos, I can find what I need on a 30 second scroll of text, or jump directly to conclusions. Try to do that with a 15 min. video.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 08:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Reading is tedious. Videos man, it's the 21st century!!

Several videos in the above URLs. One by me - prepare for stuttering and stammering!
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 08:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...many reviews here, if all are done by the same person it will be easier to compare.

Hi Carlos,

True but as my ol' art director used to say, "It takes more than one pony to make a horse race." Personally, I like to compare views by different people; what I value in an a.b. or model can be different from what others like. Airbrushes are, like automobiles, essentially the same although most are designed to emphasize certain qualities that others lack. Some are more refined, some have unique engineering features, yet all spray paint (some better than others).

That Triple Threat challenge (above) is interesting.
PRH001
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 09:41 PM UTC
All,
I'm not talking about being the only one to do evaluations. I would not presume to put myself in that position. My question was whether or not people would find a set of standardized articles done by one person, using consistent criteria and methods a useful tool. If so, I can put the pieces together, if the consensus is that it wouldn't be beneficial, I won't.

PH
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:01 PM UTC
I believe both text and video are important.. For example, if you want to show different ratios of dilution along with different pressures, then having all that in a table would be best.. but if you want to talk about the airbrush spitting.. or about flooding the paint.. or about tip dry.. or how to do freehand camo... then I think a video would be best.. especially for a beginner who needs to actually see what goes on.

JMHO of course

Hisham
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All,
I'm not talking about being the only one to do evaluations. I would not presume to put myself in that position. My question was whether or not people would find a set of standardized articles done by one person, using consistent criteria and methods a useful tool. If so, I can put the pieces together, if the consensus is that it wouldn't be beneficial, I won't.

PH

Paul, I remember that it was you that did that great feature article on soldering, if you want to go ahead and do something like you're suggesting, I feel sure that it would prove popular. There is a continual stream of requests for airbrush info on this site in the painting forums... There is your demand, I believe. If you want to do it, go for it.
 _GOTOTOP