_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Iwata HP Plus
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 03:15 AM UTC
If I went for an HP-CP, I think that would pretty much cover most of my airbrushing needs.

Is there a need to go finer. If so what with, would HP-BP make sense.

My gut feel is that they are too similar to make the BP worth buying if you already have a CP.

Cheers,

Nigel
PRH001
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 603 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 04:16 AM UTC
Nigel,
You can do a lot of relatively fine work with the .30 tip, but it will be more sensitive to trigger movements at the finest levels. You will be moving more paint volume with the .30 than with the .20 of the BH assuming the paints are thinned at the same ratio and pressure as the same. Because of the size difference, control will be harder to achieve. Can you do it? Probably. Will it be as easy to control as the .20 tip for delicate work? Probably not.

With that said, my bet is that your results will be based on your paint choice, practice and patience more than tip size...

Enjoy your new brush!
PH
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 08:19 AM UTC
You will want the cup size of the HP-C+. So buy an additional .2 nozzle and needle. Issue is then cured.
PRH001
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 09:20 AM UTC
Nigel,
Greg is right, you can convert the HP-C+ to a smaller tip. You would however, also need the nozzle cap that's the correct size for the .2 which would come from an HP-B+. That, in addition to the .2 nozzle and needle would to convert the HP-C+ to the equivalent to the HP-B+. It may work without the cap change, but not as well as it should.

If you go that route in the future be very careful. Most tips are damaged on the Iwatas during tip changes or cleaning.
Cheers,

PH
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 11:28 AM UTC
Thanks,

The reason for my dilemma is that I want to buy my first proper brush and a lot of advice is suggesting either the HP-C Plus or the HP-CS Eclipse.

Now the Eclipse is a bigger nozzle so it is easy to imagine that the need for a finer brush once my skills improves.

This is where it gets a bit weird. The RRP of the Eclipse is the cheaper but in reality when it comes to street prices I can by the Plus for less.

You are absolutely right I need the size of the C paint cup for general work.

So I'm thinking if the C Plus is the better airbrush and I can get it cheaper than the Eclipse then buying the C Plus makes sense. And for all I know it might be the only AB that I ever need.

But if I got the Eclipse I can more easily imagine getting a B Plus in the future to compliment it.

So C Plus or CS Eclipse now - that is the question.

And then in the future a B Plus or nothing.

Cheers,

Nigel
PRH001
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 05:34 AM UTC
Nigel,
The Eclispe CS is a very good brush regardless of suggested retail price, it was just intended to spray thicker media than the HP-C+. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as the first brush if you are willing to come back later to the HP-B for fine detailing should you feel it's needed.

Again, you can't make a bad choice here, but I'd be very interested to know what you decide.

Cheers,
PH
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 11:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nigel,
The Eclispe CS is a very good brush regardless of suggested retail price, it was just intended to spray thicker media than the HP-C+. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as the first brush if you are willing to come back later to the HP-B for fine detailing should you feel it's needed.

Again, you can't make a bad choice here, but I'd be very interested to know what you decide.

Cheers,
PH

Yes getting an eclipse now and an HP B in the future does make a lot of sense as I can imagine how they would compliment each other.

And the decision would be quite easier in the UK because the elclipse is about $60 cheaper than the plus.

But what is causing the confusion is that I have the opportunity to buy in the US and there I can get the plus cheaper than the eclipse (weird) - this is really skewing my thinking.

Cheers,

Nigel
 _GOTOTOP