_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Vallejo Satin varnish Question
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 401 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 08:53 AM UTC
Hello all,

I am using Vallejo premium airbrush satin varnish. It's of a rather thin consistency and says it's meant for the airbrush, but when I spray it on it has a very slight texture.

Is it supposed to be perfectly smooth or is some texture normal? What I'm seeing isn't quite orange peel, but it is a little rougher than a perfectly smooth coat of paint. I see this regardless of whether I spray it on in a thin layer or wet.

Thanks!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 01:50 AM UTC
The Satin Varnish can be airbrushed and is thicker than the Gloss version...just like the Matt version is thicker than the Satin.

I suggest adding a drop of Vallejo airbrush thinner to 4 to 5 drops of varnish. This should smooth things out for you.

Just so you know, with the matt, I thin close to 50/50. You will get a dead flat finish with a couple of thinly applied light coats.
Onkos1
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2016 - 12:26 AM UTC
I have sometimes the same problem. Not always. I try to thin the varnish with Tamiya acrylic thinner in random proprsions. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't...
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 401 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2016 - 12:55 AM UTC
I've managed to smooth out the model to a great extent with an 800 grit sanding stick, but I'd rather not have to do that on every model. I guess I'll try thinning the varnish with either water or Vallejo thinner.

Side note: be careful when using tamiya thinner with Vallejo products, as they are completely different solvent systems. Tamiya is propanol based and Vallejo has their own mix. X-22A does not mix with Vallejo paints.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2016 - 01:28 AM UTC
I agree ... use Vallejo thinner when using their products.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2016 - 04:06 AM UTC
Tamiya is a solvent based acrylic...when dealing with water-based paints, you will want to stick with thinners made for them. Water will work, but it will not break the surface tension like the thinners will.

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 08:37 AM UTC
I know it,s not so popular but I really try to use the same thinner as the paint brand. I've had fewer problems. It takes just a kit or two to have painting issues before you realize the additional cost is worth it.
 _GOTOTOP