_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Wilder washes
bgcmd59
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 08:49 AM UTC
I have a question about (problem with) a Wilder Dark Shadow wash. I painted the model with Tamiya and coated with Future and waited over a day. Business as usual before the first wash. I applied the wash and went back after the excess with mineral spirits. The wash won't budge with staining and tide marks. I have tried Mig white spirits and Turpenoid with no luck. Do Wilder products require a special thinner? As is, the finish is ruined, and given the scale of the project, the expense of the kit and conversion and my hopes to have it ready for a show in 2 weeks, I am quite distressed. I am hoping to salvage this. I can't overstate my disappointment with this product.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 09:23 AM UTC
Do you have a photo of the problem?
bgcmd59
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 09:57 PM UTC
I will try later...limited success with posting photos in the past. It is just the wash staining the underlying finish in blotches that I cannot subdue the way I have with other brands of washes and with oil paints. Should have stuck with the brands I know.
cesar
Visit this Community
Santander, Spain / España
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 11:51 PM UTC
If nothing else works, you can try physically removing it using a fiberglass pen or other light abrasive, like ultrafine wet-and-dry paper or polishing cloths and compounds (even toothpaste).

Try it in a hidden area so not to make the problem worse if it doesn´t go well.

Regards,

César
rinaldi119
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 01:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a question about (problem with) a Wilder Dark Shadow wash. I painted the model with Tamiya and coated with Future and waited over a day. Business as usual before the first wash. I applied the wash and went back after the excess with mineral spirits. The wash won't budge with staining and tide marks. I have tried Mig white spirits and Turpenoid with no luck. Do Wilder products require a special thinner? As is, the finish is ruined, and given the scale of the project, the expense of the kit and conversion and my hopes to have it ready for a show in 2 weeks, I am quite distressed. I am hoping to salvage this. I can't overstate my disappointment with this product.

Sounds like you left them on too long and they dried before you got back to wiping the excess away? Not sure that's a problem with the washes themselves.

It's not a hard fix, tedious maybe. As suggested, you lightly sand the edges of the tidemarks down a bit to even the surface out, and then just respray your paint colors on top of those areas in very thin layers. It should cover without too much trouble.
ANPWilder
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hello
It sounds like you let them sit for too long but you should have plenty of time to remove the excess before they set.
We have a video about adding that wash here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsk9Tn33a5g

You might be able to simply apply a few more light coats of the base over everything, add another layer of future, than start with the washes again.

Let us know how it goes.
ANPW
bgcmd59
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 06:59 AM UTC
Thank you gentlemen. I am back on track. Good practice with precission airbrushing as a bonus.
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:09 PM UTC
I watched your tube channel Wilder........great stuff and well produced, big help!
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I watched your tube channel Wilder........great stuff and well produced, big help!

I concur. Awesome videos in terms of production and good content!!
 _GOTOTOP