_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Recommended Upgrades for M4A1
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 08:58 PM UTC
I have Dragon's M4A1 Op. Cobra. I plan on building it as part of the 2nd Armored Division, pushing south through the bocage. Other than a cullin and stowage, are there any other upgrades I should consider?
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:05 PM UTC
One thing I can tell you that you will need to change is the front fenders,which are wrong for the M4A1 Sherman.Formations makes resin updates for those fenders.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 10:29 PM UTC
Formations also makes excellent replacement tools, tow cable brackets and clamps, and other do-dads applicable to Shermans, and most WWII US tanks.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 01:06 PM UTC
Thanks, guys. I have an sky's the limit cap on the Sherman. Expect many more questions to follow.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 02:14 PM UTC
Are there any online walk arounds for this tank?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 03:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have Dragon's M4A1 Op. Cobra. I plan on building it as part of the 2nd Armored Division, pushing south through the bocage. Other than a cullin and stowage, are there any other upgrades I should consider?

Hi, Matt!

Besides the suggestions from the two previous posts, graciously supplied by Biggles and Jason, you might also try THE NEW TMD (TIGER MODEL DESIGNS).

The DRAGON "COBRA" M4A1 VVSS 76mm (Wet) is based on the old "Big Hatch" 47-degree Hulled ITALERI/TESTORS kits, which were OK for their time, but these were soft on detail, and the Upper Hull was erroneously tapered towards the top when viewed from the front and/or back, and some wonderful sink marks were also included in the right and left Upper Hull Sponsons at no extra cost.

You will want to check your references carefully against what you get in the The DRAGON "COBRA" M4A1. This kit was tweaked here and there, when it was first released by DRAGON, which was a marked improvement over the ITALERI/TESTORS kit. You may want to invest in some ASUKA/TASCA Bogies and Road Wheels, (These are marketed with or without vinyl Tracks) or if you can find them, the older CYBERHOBBY Mid-Late M4 Suspensions. I suggest replacing the DRAGON "Indy" Tracks with suitable aftermarket replacement T49 (Rubber Chevron) or T51 (Rubber Block) Tracks. You will also want to replace the plastic Track Skids with Metal ones for a more "true-to-scale" appearance. These are also available from aftermarket sources.

The plastic Suspension components from ASUKA/TASCA are superb, so I really can't see any advantage in buying resin ones. A note on the M4A1 Support Roller Trailing Arms- Both styles of Support Roller Arms were seen on "COBRA" Shermans; the "early-mid production" types, which were horizontally oriented, and the "late production" types, which were canted upwards towards the rear. ASUKA/TASCA make both types of Bogie systems, along with the "initial production" types which didn't use a Trailing Arm- the Support Rollers were centrally located atop the Bogie, similar to the M3 Lee/Grant-type Bogie, only the M3's Bogies were a little bit shorter in height.

You'll want to replace your Air Filters and Exhaust parts as well; both FORMATIONS and THE NEW TMD supply these, and both suppliers offer a real treasure trove of GREAT resin replacement parts and upgrades that will make ANY Sherman fan happy- Hatches, Periscopes, Radios, Tools, CORRECTED Turrets, Final Drive and Transmission Cases, you name it, they have it!!!

Metal Barrels for the 76mm Main Gun, along with the .50 and .30cal MGs are available from various sources, such as ARMORSCALE, ABER, RB MODELS, DEF, LION ROAR, etc. PE sets to detail your Sherman are also available from ABER, VOYAGER, EDUARD, and a host of others, as well as some really great stowage sets from the likes of BLACK DOG, VERLINDEN, BLAST, LEGEND, and others, as well.

A GREAT reference source for the M4A1 VVSS 76mm (Wet) is the Osprey Modelling book, "Modelling the US ARMY M4 (76mm) Sherman Medium Tank", by Steven J. Zaloga. In this book, Mr. Zaloga models US Tank "Ace" Lafayette Poole's "Operation COBRA" M4A1 "In The Mood", from which you can gain a lot of inspiration, and additional information pertaining to your subject Tank.

"Walk-Arounds" of the M4A1 76mm can be found both on CD-Rom, and in the various SQUADRON "Walk-Around" books. I believe the CYBERMODELER website also has an M4A1 76mm "Walk-Around", along with color references...

I'll be following your progress with great interest!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 04:35 PM UTC
The hull on my kit appears to be a good cast. I had already planned on using the Tasca vvss suspension, with T48 tracks(sourced M&M Models), which means I will be using the straight arms. I will be using the LionMarc skids(sourced Soga). Thanks for the heads up about the exhaust. However, I do not believe it will be prominent enough to warrant replacement. On that note, I can not warrant replacing the upper hull for a few degrees. It would be just as easy to sand and putty it to the correct angle. I wasn't aware of there being any problem, with the kit's barrel. As I stated, I will be using Legend's stowage. I will be replacing the 50cal. There are a few other small bits I will be replacing. While the sky is the limit, I am not aiming to touch it. I also have Hunnicut's book in my sights.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 04:58 PM UTC
M4A1 76W
http://www.modellismopiu.net/m+gallerie/main.php?g2_itemId=24637
http://maquettegarden.free.fr/Vehicules/Sherman%20M4A1/index.xml
http://svsm.org/gallery/m4a1-76-flamethrower

Here's a walkaround of a later HVSS style suspension.
http://www.modellismopiu.net/m+gallerie/main.php?g2_itemId=369200
http://www.primeportal.net/m4a1_walk.htm
http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/don_pics/m4a1_sec_walk_1.htm

Interior, if you're so inclined: http://www.modellismopiu.net/m+gallerie/main.php?g2_itemId=24965
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 05:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The hull on my kit appears to be a good cast. I had already planned on using the Tasca vvss suspension, with T48 tracks(sourced M&M Models), which means I will be using the straight arms. I will be using the LionMarc skids(sourced Soga). Thanks for the heads up about the exhaust. However, I do not believe it will be prominent enough to warrant replacement. On that note, I can not warrant replacing the upper hull for a few degrees. It would be just as easy to sand and putty it to the correct angle. I wasn't aware of there being any problem, with the kit's barrel. As I stated, I will be using Legend's stowage. I will be replacing the 50cal. There are a few other small bits I will be replacing. While the sky is the limit, I am not aiming to touch it. I also have Hunnicut's book in my sights.

Maybe I didn't express myself properly as regards to the ITALERI Upper Hull Sponsons versus the DRAGON Hull Sponsons- the ITALERI Upper Hull's shape is not as good as DRAGON's; I was just making a comparison between the two kits, as DRAGON did tweak their kit a bit. The rest of my comments are mainly observations on what could be done to improve an already decent kit. I took your request for additional info on the "COBRA" M4A1 to mean that you may have needed some pointers that might have come in handy for you, but I see now that you have matters pretty well in hand.

Re: the DRAGON kit's Main Gun Barrel- I don't remember if DRAGON included a metal Barrel, and if so, is it rifled? I know that the aftermarket manufacturers provide the rifling in theirs. I have three or four un-built DRAGON "COBRA" -A1s on my shelves, but I'm just too darned lazy to go check at the moment.

Anyway, good luck with your build!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 05:32 PM UTC
Roy: Thank you for the links. I was unable to find photos of the Sherman 76, with the early style vvss suspension.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Maybe I didn't express myself properly as regards to the ITALERI Upper Hull Sponsons versus the DRAGON Hull Sponsons- the ITALERI Upper Hull's shape is not as good as DRAGON's; I was just making a comparison between the two kits, as DRAGON did tweak their kit a bit. The rest of my comments are mainly observations on what could be done to improve an already decent kit. I took your request for additional info on the "COBRA" M4A1 to mean that you may have needed some pointers that might have come in handy for you, but I see now that you have matters pretty well in hand.

Re: the DRAGON kit's Main Gun Barrel- I don't remember if DRAGON included a metal Barrel, and if so, is it rifled? I know that the aftermarket manufacturers provide the rifling in theirs. I have three or four un-built DRAGON "COBRA" -A1s on my shelves, but I'm just too darned lazy to go check at the moment.

I apologize for being a bit short. I have lost most of the feeling, in my right hand and am a little upset over it. You drew my attention to a few details that could be replaced or modified. The reason it seems as though I had everything in hand, is that I went through TMD and Formations with a free hand. Some details I have decided to set aside, in lieu of those you brought up. I am very grateful for your input. I'm still somewhat new to olive drab. I promised myself I would build another Sherman, after placing one at regionals. Prior to that, I was a panzer nut. This project will allow me to tap my two, main genres. Ah! I was confused on the hulls. I see your point, on the barrel. And, yes, a metal barrel is provided. I may try to rifle it, with a file. With a little a little cutting, I think I can get some .05mm styrene to replicate rifling.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 07:04 PM UTC
Tasca makes an EXTREMELY good .50 cal. - 2 per kit. The best I've seen in injected styrene, and much cheaper than resin kits. That and Edouard PE mount and ammo box, but the Tasca mount is also very good.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tasca makes an EXTREMELY good .50 cal. - 2 per kit. The best I've seen in injected styrene, and much cheaper than resin kits. That and Edouard PE mount and ammo box, but the Tasca mount is also very good.

Thank you. I will try and source one.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 04:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Roy: Thank you for the links. I was unable to find photos of the Sherman 76, with the early style vvss suspension.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I apologize for being a bit short. I have lost most of the feeling, in my right hand and am a little upset over it. You drew my attention to a few details that could be replaced or modified. The reason it seems as though I had everything in hand, is that I went through TMD and Formations with a free hand. Some details I have decided to set aside, in lieu of those you brought up. I am very grateful for your input. I'm still somewhat new to olive drab. I promised myself I would build another Sherman, after placing one at regionals. Prior to that, I was a panzer nut. This project will allow me to tap my two, main genres. Ah! I was confused on the hulls. I see your point, on the barrel. And, yes, a metal barrel is provided. I may try to rifle it, with a file. With a little a little cutting, I think I can get some .05mm styrene to replicate rifling.

Matt- No offense taken, at all. I can be a bit short myself, sometimes. So SORRY that you're having physical problems- I empathize with you. I'm a diabetic myself, and sometimes, getting my hands to work properly can be a real bear, between my arthritis and diabetic neuropathy. Add to that my right leg having been amputated below the knee back in 2010, I have difficulties with that, as well. Pain can be a great distraction...

Now, rifling- Wouldn't it be easier for you to just get a pre-rifled metal barrel? I may even have a spare one in my parts bins, somewhere. The US 76mm RB Barrels are cheap enough on ebay, usually going in the $5.00-$6.00 range.

Just a few side comments on OLIVE DRAB, being that you mentioned that you're pretty new to it, and I don't mean just the color, itself- I think that you just may find that there is a a wide, AND GROWING, variety of US/Allied subject matter that begs attention.

A Few Notes on OLIVE DRAB:

Since various US paint manufacturers supplied paint to the myriad of production plants and outside contractors during WWII, there was NO SUCH THING as a uniform color for OD.

Even though the US Mil. Spec. stated that "OLIVE DRAB" was to be mixed by adding "Carbon Black" to "Yellow Ochre" in order to achieve a color-match to "PULLMAN GREEN, (a RAILROAD color), there were quite a few variations in the end results. Add to that the fact that many components, even in the same factory, would be painted in separate locations, SOME variation in color, however slight, would be in evidence, even on the SAME VEHICLE! Once the vehicles left the plant and went on to ultimately reach their unit destinations, there could be further variances in color vis-a-vis the original paint color(s), due to repairs, "sprucing-up", eventual field/battle experience, etc. Also taking weathering into account, the original OLIVE DRAB's actual color would have faded in some places, while staining and discolorations would be evident in others-

This would seem to be fairly obvious within our modelling community, my whole point being that OLIVE DRAB is really A LOT more colorful than what it may be upon first impressions, even on a relatively clean vehicle. By and large, a lot of modellers prefer the WWII German stuff just because of the seemingly endless variations of the "three-color" German camouflage schemes- Nothing wrong with that, but I think that OD hasn't been given a fair shake by many modellers because they think that OD is "too boring", visually...

My personal opinion is that if done properly, OLIVE DRAB can be made to be just as visually interesting as any WWII German camo scheme. That goes for British BRONZE GREEN and Soviet 4BO GREEN, as well...

As for Shermans, I love 'em, as is evidenced by my ARMORAMA "call-sign", "m4a1sherman"... If one takes the time to REALLY "fine-tooth-comb" the Sherman's history and mechanical virtues, we realize how important and really GOOD the Sherman actually was, both as a vehicle and a fighting machine, as compared to the "competition"...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 05:14 PM UTC
I am aware of how well the Sherman performed. Too many people judge it by its thinner armor and usual lack of a high velocity gun. The tank performed exceedingly well, as it was meant to be used. I believe it was Zaloga that addressed the purpose of different tank designs. They were a great boon for British, when deployed in North Africa. As far as the actual color variance of olive drab, I understand the difference in shades. Not only is it apparent in color plates, but I am also lucky enough to have had several of my relatives serve. I usually go with Life Color or Tamiya paints.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 03:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am aware of how well the Sherman performed. Too many people judge it by its thinner armor and usual lack of a high velocity gun. The tank performed exceedingly well, as it was meant to be used. I believe it was Zaloga that addressed the purpose of different tank designs. They were a great boon for British, when deployed in North Africa. As far as the actual color variance of olive drab, I understand the difference in shades. Not only is it apparent in color plates, but I am also lucky enough to have had several of my relatives serve. I usually go with Life Color or Tamiya paints.

Sure- Agree with everything you've just posted.

Yeah, the TAMIYA and LIFE COLOUR paints are great stuff! Me, I'm old fashioned- I still like my TESTORS MODELMASTER II Enamels. I custom-mix all of my colors, the exceptions being the basics like WHITE, BLACK, RED, etc, except where some weathering, staining or ageing is necessary to convey the "proper" impression. I like the TAMIYA and LIFE COLOUR Acrylics with SOME figure-painting applications, but I still custom-mix them on a palette, as I do my Enamels and Oils.

I find that paint colors "straight out of the bottle" don't match the real article, especially where uniforms are concerned. I was lucky enough to amass a lot of original WWII Uniform articles, (in better times, that is), so I mix my uniform colors to match the real thing on my palette, waiting for my "test-sample" to dry properly, before I match the color with the article in question. I like to "adjust" the color with a tiny bit of appropriately-colored Weathering Powders, (Ochre, White, Brown, etc) added to the very tip of my paint brush, also taking into account that the powder itself helps to "flatten" any sheen that the paint may have developed. I like to use pristine thinners to thin the color mixes on my palette, since the addition of the Weathering Powders tend to thicken my colors. You'd be surprised how well this little system of mine works...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeah, the TAMIYA and LIFE COLOUR paints are great stuff! Me, I'm old fashioned- I still like my TESTORS MODELMASTER II Enamels. I custom-mix all of my colors, the exceptions being the basics like WHITE, BLACK, RED, etc, except where some weathering, staining or ageing is necessary to convey the "proper" impression. I like the TAMIYA and LIFE COLOUR Acrylics with SOME figure-painting applications, but I still custom-mix them on a palette, as I do my Enamels and Oils.

I find that paint colors "straight out of the bottle" don't match the real article, especially where uniforms are concerned. I was lucky enough to amass a lot of original WWII Uniform articles, (in better times, that is), so I mix my uniform colors to match the real thing on my palette, waiting for my "test-sample" to dry properly, before I match the color with the article in question. I like to "adjust" the color with a tiny bit of appropriately-colored Weathering Powders, (Ochre, White, Brown, etc) added to the very tip of my paint brush, also taking into account that the powder itself helps to "flatten" any sheen that the paint may have developed. I like to use pristine thinners to thin the color mixes on my palette, since the addition of the Weathering Powders tend to thicken my colors. You'd be surprised how well this little system of mine works...

I'm still fairly new to figures. I do enjoy them, so far. My biggest weakness are faces. Some mixing is in order for me to capture a reflection of reality. As this diorama will be comprised of several figures, I need to get to practicing. Although, I may have to wait until after surgery on my hand(which is getting worse by the day). Worst case scenario, I sell my entire set up and find a hobby that requires less dexterity.
highpoint
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 07:59 AM UTC
Hey Matt,

Here is what I did for my Dragon Op Cobra. Make sure and use the horizontal return rollers. You can fix the fenders without having to replace them by getting rid of the bolt heads that run next to the hull, scribe a 90 degree line from where fender stops curve on outside over to tranny then add 3 equal spaced bolts on hull side of scribe. Get rid of 2 fuel filler caps inside splash rail next to air intake on rear deck. Make sure and use the filler cap and splash rail that is on 2nd plate of engine deck (the big deck with nothing on it). Other than that the hull is ok.

Turret needs more help. Fill in cast numbers behind hatches. A fillet needs to be added between the hatches both front and rear. Get rid of ventilator cover on rear of turret and fill. Drop the angled bars that stow the mg about a 1/3 down. New Tiger Models makes the cross pin loader's hatch you need to replace kit part. Add lastly if I remember is adding new casting marks. If I can figure out how to post i'll try otherwise you can go to theshermanshop, click on Sherman build forum and look for my M4A1 Op cobra by highpoint.

Jeff
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 01:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm still fairly new to figures. I do enjoy them, so far. My biggest weakness are faces. Some mixing is in order for me to capture a reflection of reality. As this diorama will be comprised of several figures, I need to get to practicing. Although, I may have to wait until after surgery on my hand(which is getting worse by the day). Worst case scenario, I sell my entire set up and find a hobby that requires less dexterity.

Hi, Matt! One of the best sources that I've run across for figure-painting is Bill Horan's "FIGURE PAINTING MASTERCLASS" published by OSPREY. I don't have the book right in front of me as it's in my other house, so I'm not 100% sure of the title. But anything close to that title and author under "OSPREY" should help you in obtaining it. It's expensive, but well worth it in the long run...

This book features beautiful COLOR photography and simple instructions throughout, including figure-conversions, painting, blending colors, and makes for a pleasant read, even if you never attempt to paint a figure again for the rest of your life! (Just kidding)
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 06:43 PM UTC
Hey Matt: What jeff Brooks said about the fuel caps and the rear ventilator is not, across the board, correct for all M4A1s with 76W. Those features were cut-in to the production of the M4A1 76W. If you go to Sherman Minutia website, for a full description of what appeared when and where:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/maunfacturer/m4a1largehatches/m4a1_largehatches.html
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hmmmm. try this instead

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4a1largehatches/m4a1_largehatches.html

After reading through the narrative, I'm inclined to follow Jeff Brooks' advice -- the early M4A1s (76W) would not have had the rear ventilator nor the additional 2 fuel ports. Sorry for doubting you Jeff!
stevieneon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 02:35 AM UTC
Also, if youre ordering from Asuka, you could order their Cullin hedgerow cutter too?
Removed by original poster on 04/01/16 - 00:48:35 (GMT).
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 05:40 PM UTC
Jeff & Roy: Lots of good information, here.

Dennis: I have been relying on Youtube, for figure painting and conversion techniques. I will attempt to acquire the mentioned book.

Stevie: Good catch, on the Cullin device.

Due to life, I am taking a sabbatical from the hobby. I will pick up what I can, where I can. Hopefully, I have enough or can find enough free references to keep me busy researching this build. Right now, I am a one-finger typist and have some problem turning pages. Let me tell you, coffee filters are a pita.
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 06:24 PM UTC
On the TMD front, I just picked up a couple sets of cable clamps which look great. Those might be a nice addition for your build.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 06:09 PM UTC
What is the correct barrel for an early M4A1 76mm?
 _GOTOTOP