_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Polyvinyl tracks paint adhesion
styrenesnake
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 - 10:23 PM UTC
Im looking for answers on this, as im struggling to keep the paint actually stuck on the tracks, mainly the inside where the roadwheels would roll.

Ive tried priming with Vallejo, humbrol aerosol primer and even stynlres.
Ive tried forgoing primer and basecoating in normal acrylic.
Ive tried Mig, Vallejo, tamiya and Even craft acrylic paint.

The issue dosnt rear its head until later on in the build, when the tracks are fitted, or i add weathering powders or other techniques to the finished model for a dio.
Then i find that the paint will separate from the track, and looks ugly.

I ve tried washing the tracks in soapy water, ive tried using paint prep liquid for garage spraybooth work.
Ive tried a thin mist coat of primer,or paint and thick coats neither are worse or better.

Is there something im missing? I appreciate any help. Thanks
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 02:47 AM UTC
Darwin,

The tracks get stretched when you install it, thus any paint on it will separate over time, if not while you were mounting it. In my case, I install the vinyl tracks prior to painting. Surely, it makes painting a bit of a challenge, but doing it this way avoids having to handle, fiddle with it later on. I prime it, put on the base coat, then have a coat of Future on. Do the weathering next and put on a final coat of Future mixed with Tamiya Flat Base to take off the sheen.

Cheers,

Tat
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Im looking for answers on this, as im struggling to keep the paint actually stuck on the tracks, mainly the inside where the roadwheels would roll.

Ive tried priming with Vallejo, humbrol aerosol primer and even stynlres.
Ive tried forgoing primer and basecoating in normal acrylic.
Ive tried Mig, Vallejo, tamiya and Even craft acrylic paint.

The issue dosnt rear its head until later on in the build, when the tracks are fitted, or i add weathering powders or other techniques to the finished model for a dio.
Then i find that the paint will separate from the track, and looks ugly.

I ve tried washing the tracks in soapy water, ive tried using paint prep liquid for garage spraybooth work.
Ive tried a thin mist coat of primer,or paint and thick coats neither are worse or better.

Is there something im missing? I appreciate any help. Thanks

I always used enamels with no primer on vinyl tracks, without major problems. The paint is actually rather flexible when it first dries, so the track can be installed in that time frame without a lot of flaking, and minor flakes are simple to touch up. Once the paint is hard all the way, through, though, any stretching of the track will cause flaking, so do all of your painting in one session, install the tracks, and than only treat them with washes, afterwards. Note: Do NOT use enamels on glueable vinyl-styrene blends, (i.e. Tamiya or Dragon DS tracks), as the thinners can cause the blended plastic to dry out and crumble within days. Academy still uses conventional, indestructable vinyl, though.
styrenesnake
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2016 - 02:19 AM UTC
Thanks all
Im beginning to understand why folk like workable tracks so much!
 _GOTOTOP