_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Abrams Squad: Modelling the Gulf War
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 12:40 PM UTC

The fourth Abrams Squad Special is coming, commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the Gulf War. The special issue contains nine stunning articles of models in 1/35 scale.rn

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 06:51 PM UTC
I still don't get the name of this magazine. Why Abrams Squad when it talks about all military modeling?

Also, just by looking at the pics, the MLRS has lots of issues - wrong end caps, M26 launch pods should not be sand, bumper numbers(?), etc...

M60A1 on the cover is no better - wrong (modern) MRE boxes, what is holding the tracks together on the front glacis (no end connectors) and what is holding it there, etc., etc...

Leaves me wondering what else is off? Definitely not the level of accuracy that I would expect in what is supposed to be a world-class builder's magazine.
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:21 PM UTC
Abrams Squad because it's only about Modern military modelling, not WWII. I think it's quite creative - do we really need another magazine titled Military Modelling, Military Illustrated Modeller, Model Military, etc.? It's damn confusing. As for the modelling, every magazine typically has modellers of varying skill levels - your comments could be said for any magazine out there. They can only publish what they have. Send them an article - I'm sure they would be happy to have it!
Davidstingray
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 09:48 PM UTC
I really enjoy Abrams Squad magazine. I renewed my subscription about a week ago and just pre-ordered the Gulf War special. I have all three of their other special editions and find them very insightful. I have noticed some inaccuracies in a few of their builds, but I tend to overlook them and enjoy the creative liberty modeling allows each of us.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 11:37 PM UTC
I thought the MLRS looks really nice. Besides the what was mentioned being inaccurate. I'd be really happy with the model. Lol
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 03:28 AM UTC
A bit disappointed that the only UK vehicle is a Challenger, what about a warrior or a scimitar or perhaps some resin vehicle offerings from AA?
ULIX-VM
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 834 posts
Armorama: 649 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 05:05 AM UTC
this special edition of abrams squad is so good.8/10
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:38 AM UTC
I prefer detailed steps and interesting techniques and subjects over accuracy. That helps more in achieving great results that screw-head-exact models, IMHO... Details are more important when it comes to reference material (e.g. battle filed vehicles vs. museum/exhibition objects).
jakijem
Visit this Community
Hamburg, Germany
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 03:24 PM UTC
Well, IMHO, A.S. is state of the art in modeling mags

Complete detailed building processes, comprehensive explanations about painting methods, tons of references, full list of aftermarkets and materials used, exhaustive bibliography... And a exquisite care in layout and edition small details.

I have my shelves loaded with lot of mags I´ll never have a look at again, but Abrams Squad is a constant reference to check since issue#1 for me. Not to mention the Special editions which are going to become an "Osprey class" collectable.

I´m looking forward to put my hands on it.
Nacho_I
Visit this Community
Andorra
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 03:42 PM UTC

Abrams Squad is a serious magazine, and its creators are very professional and love our hobby.
They have an original name for their magazine, which is also inspiring for modelers who love modern stuff.
They are careful about the quality of their product and published models are "state of art" certainly.
Maybe we should flee from the facile and superficial criticism and encourage these guys to continue their work.
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:13 PM UTC
Fantastic magazine. I look forward to the next issue.

Mike
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 11:04 PM UTC
I've gotta throw in here..... the finishing techniques, processes and such that go into a "model" are becoming more and more emphasized in hobby literature now, and that's fine and dandy, being such a large part of the hobby to so many people. But I tend to lose interest when accuracy as far as obvious technical things are passed over as being part of the "art", specifically things like stowage blocking vision devices or weapons, floating stowage, and major evidence of paint deterioration when none should be evident.
Granted, it's all part of a hobby, and we all have our preferences, but there are times when I'd like to see a little more thought given by the builder to: "could or should that really look like that?".
I'm also very much interested in the assembly process, something skated over in most any article these days, but that's just me.
"Abrams Squad" is a fine mag, don't get me wrong, and given that a few mags that used to be top shelf seem to be lagging or losing momentum, it's good to see the hobby in print, and I wish them a long and profitable run.
 _GOTOTOP