_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Asuka Jumbo problem
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 03:39 AM UTC
I've been working on my Asuka Jumbo Sherman (35-021) M4A3E2 and there's a very serious problem that I'm having. In step 8 where you start combing the lower hull, upper hull and the differential (transmission) subassemblies together the differential (transmission) assembly is not aligning correctly. There's a gap between the front upper hull and where the differential suppose to come together. I am hoping that someone else may have encountered this problem if they've built this kit. I have gone back over and there's nothing I have missed. I am at a complete loss and I hope I have explained this and you can understand what the problem is that I'm having. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 03:56 AM UTC
Not familiar with Tasca/Asuka Shermans, but is there a bolted strip supposed to be between glacis and transmission cover? Maybe it's this that covers the gap.
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 04:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not familiar with Tasca/Asuka Shermans, but is there a bolted strip supposed to be between glacis and transmission cover? Maybe it's this that covers the gap.

Yeah, unfortunately that's on there. I'm telling you, I am at a complete loss on this one. I have no clue whatsoever. But I certainly appreciate you replying back.
IPLawyer
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 04:55 AM UTC
This builder had a problem with the extra armor plate for the Tasca M4A3E2 fitting over the front hull; I wonder if that is your issue:

http://armorama.com/forums/180369&page=1

"The only fit problem so far was the front armor plate. It’s hollow on the back side so it will go over the headlight mounts on the front hull. It didn’t sit flat, so I filed away the mounts so it will sit flat. "

SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 04:59 AM UTC
Mine had a gap, too, but it wasn't huge. Just when I was considering how to fill it, I dry fit the applique armor and it covered the problem.
highpoint
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 06:29 PM UTC
Hey Tony,

I've built 3 of them and if I remember correctly I had issues with the bolt strip on the bottom of the hull. The tranny housing slides into it and if not careful it won't align with the upper hull. Maybe???
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 07:34 PM UTC
Can you post a picture of the problem? I built the Jumbo and I don't recall a fit issue that you've described.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 08:21 PM UTC
I thought Tasca/Asuka Shermans were the epitome of Sherman kits. I built a few Dragon Shermans and never had such fit problems.
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 01:53 AM UTC
Without seeing pictures, my guess would be your not getting the transmission assembly far enough back on the lower hull. This maybe due to incorrect alignment of the small bolt strips on the bottom.

Tasca/Asuka Shermans are all I build now and have never had such a problem.
Removed by original poster on 04/04/16 - 21:45:08 (GMT).
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hm. I'll be watching this thread as I have a Jumbo in my stash that I've been itching to build but haven't had the time or motivation to start yet.
highpoint
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 04:32 AM UTC
Don't have a photobucket so cant post. Hell, I still have a flip phone. Looked at underside and my original guess is still good and it matches what bigjohn thinks as well. One other quick note on kit...if you leave loader's hatch open, the locking mechanism and pad are reversed on kit. Flip em around.

Jeff
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 06:22 AM UTC
Yes, I will post some pictures of what I have. Actually, I thought about that last night that I should have done that. Stay tune guys and thanks for all the replies so far.
phantom8747
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 04:01 AM UTC
I am not sure where the problem you were having was.I had a problem aligning the back of the transmission housing to the main hull on the bottom.I was advised by a friend not to use part J13 to the bottom hull plate.
 _GOTOTOP