_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Handbrushing Vallejo's Gloss Varnish
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 08:03 AM UTC
Hello fellas,

Recently bought vallejo's acrylic-resign Gloss and Satin. I was hoping to handbrush both in order to prep and seal decals (and other weathering done) on my models. I applied a light coat of the gloss on the bottom of a Panzer IV I was working on to try it out. However, looking at the result after 12 hours - I noticed that one part of the model dried smooth while the other dried a bit wrinkly looking. I didn't thin the varnish.

Does anyone have experience using these varnishes? Any tips on how to use em (preferably by handbrushing) Also, is the result I got because I only put a light coat and it would even out if I put another? Thank you.

Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 01:17 PM UTC
It sounds like you developed runs because you got too much on the model or brushed it as the surface was drying. Thin them a little with water (I thin 10-25%)and brush on several light coats. Let each coat dry for a couple of minutes first and you should have no problems. A new coat may hide some of the wrinkles, the best thing would be to try and remove the high points with very fine sand paper after letting the varnish cure for a day or two then applying another coat. If you have Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner handy, you might also try to gently wipe down the high points with a cotton bud moistened with the cleaner, then wipe down the areas with water and add new varnish.

Kimmo
jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 05:07 AM UTC
Agree, and I find the satin is also more forgiving than the gloss

try doing it in very thin coats and let it dry well.
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 11:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips guys
 _GOTOTOP