_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Quiet Airbrush Compressor?
Rampenfest
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hi all,

I am wanting to buy a good quality airbrush to paint camo schemes with. I have been noticing that all the high wuality ones require aconpressor. From my understanding, these are quite loud. I live in an apartment and I don't think the neighbors would approve of a loud conpressor going off all the time. Are there any that are quiet? Everything I have looked up so far seems too loud so far Thank you.

GaryKato
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 09:22 AM UTC
I have an Iwata Smart Jet Pro. I tried it out as soon as it arrived and I thought it was broken. But when I pressed the button on my airbrush, it wasn't! Mine doesn't have a storage tank as I don't use it often. I heard that you shouldn't operate them for a long painting sessions. It works for me so far.
PRH001
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 603 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 09:44 AM UTC
Joe,
There are definately very quiet compressors out there. Just Google silent airbrush compressors and you will turn up quite a few. Most super quiet compressors are expensive though, so your budget really decides how quiet you can get. I've heard that Iwata oil-free compressors are pretty quiet, and provide good service but I've never used one. The last oil-free compressor I used was the Paasche D-500 and it was loud enough to wake anyone in the house within 5 seconds of startup...

I currently have one made by Silentaire for Badger and it is about as loud as your refrigerator when it's running. It has a small it tank to eliminate pulsing and comes with a pressure regulator and moisture trap as part of the unit. The only real noise I get is when the pressure shutoff releases. I can spray at any hour of the night and none of my family even hears it.

Good luck in the hunt,

Paul H

varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 12:35 PM UTC
If you are on a budget you can also try to build one yourself using an old refrigerator's compressor and a tank. There are many sites with instructions on internet and it is absolutely silent, I have been painting often with the kids sleeping in the other room and doors open
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 03:08 PM UTC
Many companies,few are Italian,use refrigerator's compressor to build professional very good and quiet compressors, you can build your own ,or must quiet way is the CO2,for few $ you can make refill a gas bottle,diving tank or similar with CO2,Zero noise and a tank can last months or even year before refill,you dont need the water trap have just to fit the gauge with reguletor and adapter for the hose...a fart make more noise!..
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 04:46 PM UTC
Hi, 15 years ago I buy a loud 25 liters compressor and just try it my wife almost kill me. So I replaced the compressor with a new 1/8 hp refrigerator one.
Today still work.
Maybe a bit expensive at once but last a lot.
HTH
Álvaro
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 05:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

I am wanting to buy a good quality airbrush to paint camo schemes with. I have been noticing that all the high wuality ones require aconpressor. From my understanding, these are quite loud. I live in an apartment and I don't think the neighbors would approve of a loud conpressor going off all the time. Are there any that are quiet? Everything I have looked up so far seems too loud so far Thank you.

Just a suggestion: You might try to find a "Silent" Air Compressor by checking on ebay- There are quite a few Silent Compressors that are already paired with an Air Storage Tank that you can choose from on ebay. I suggest buying from a large retailer, as they provide Guarantees and Warranties, PLUS "Money Back, If Not Satisfied" features, and also PARTS if you should need them. I STRONGLY SUGGEST buying a unit which has both an Air Pressure Regulator and a Moisture Trap included.

For added protection from moisture, I utilize TWO EXTRA Moisture Traps in each of my Air Hoses; I use FOUR different Airbrushes with TWO Compressor/Airtank Units, incorporating a Double Air-Line Adapter fitted to accommodate two Airbrushes per Air-Supply Unit. Perhaps this is overkill, but I use each of my Airbrushes for different purposes. This set-up has served me quite well over the years. In no way do I imply that you should do the same. One Silent Air Compressor w/Air Tank, Air Regulator & Moisture Trap should serve you quite well for a long time. Hope this helps!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 07:39 PM UTC
Joe,

For price, performance, and quiet, I can recommend the Grex AC1810-A compressor http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/grac18hppopi1.html It's about as loud as a fish tank when it runs, it only runs when you push the trigger of the airbrush, and it's a high quality compressor. It's $200 and mine has been running faithfully for 8 years.
IPLawyer
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 08:23 PM UTC
I just picked up this compressor from Amazon for $119:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/MASTC-40T_4.html#.VwKBd9T3aK0

Like you, I'm an apartment dweller. This compressor replaces a previous Master compressor that worked fine, except it did not have a tank, so it was constantly running and it would grow hot within 30 minutes or so. This compressor addresses both those issues. It's pretty simple to operate and includes a moisture trap.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 10:57 PM UTC
Check out Silentaire. Expensive but mine has been a dream for over 10 years - I check the oil level once a month, but have never needed to add any, and it is as clean as the day I added it. I have the 20A and I cannot hear it running at all if the radio is on quietly.

http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/index.asp
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:52 AM UTC
I can also vouch for Silentaire. I've had a Scorpian II for years and it runs flawlessly. Decent prices on Amazon.com.

Quoted Text

Check out Silentaire. Expensive but mine has been a dream for over 10 years - I check the oil level once a month, but have never needed to add any, and it is as clean as the day I added it. I have the 20A and I cannot hear it running at all if the radio is on quietly.

jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 05:13 AM UTC
almost all the diaphragm airbrush compressors will produce a bit of noise. For the really silent ones, they can be quite pricey. I wouldn't suggest building your own using a ref compressor if you are not familiar with the fabrication methods that have to be done.

Lastly, the most quiet option you can have for apartment painting would be an air tank. You can get a pair of CO2 or a scuba tank and fill it up with CO2. The adverting is that it is the most silent option you have and you wouldn't have too much water problems (or at all). disadvantage is that you have to sent it to be filled when you run out hence I suggest getting two tanks.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 05:38 AM UTC
I too can vouch for Silentaire, but it's considered "The Ferrari of air compressors" as a friend said. Even the parts to repair it are expensive.

However, it's extremely quiet and as many have said, just sounds like the purr of a refrigerator running. The loudest thing is the air pressure safety switch releasing which sometimes sounds like a little cap gun firing. Also, it's oiled which means it doesn't generate (much or any) heat.

The problem with diaphragm compressors is that eventually the bushings lose their gears and it gets louder and louder over time. Also, some air compressors have a tendency to "walk" around the floor or table when running (notice the suction cups at the bottom of feet to hold them in place).

Silentaire doesn't "walk" or grow louder over time. It is heavy though. Mine weighs in at around 45 pounds with oil, but most of it is all metal. I've had mine for over 10 years. The pressure stays steady with the tank and the oil keeps it quiet.

Best of all, it's smart too because the control unit will only turn the compressor on to fill the air tank to that required pressure (as seen on the dial gauge), meaning the control unit will turn the compressor OFF once the air tank is filled to that required pressure (and it doesn't take long to get to the required pressure to airbrush since the Silentaire is powerful). Therefore, you won't have an air compressor running all the time (making noise) just to keep feeding your airbrush air (like a diaphragm compressor). One can airbrush for quite some time before the control unit will turn back on to get that dial rock steady and it's like the dial hardly ever falls from the mark. It's really cool...dial reads 15 PSI and it's like it'll stay at 15 PSI (off and on pumping) until you're finished and you turn it off and relieve the air pressure to zero. Want 18 PSI? Turn the dial and it'll hold it steady at 18 PSI with hardly any dips to 16 or 15 PSI when you're airbrushing.

Mine came with a dial gauge and a built-in water trap.

Made in Italy with service in the USA.
MikeM670
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I second this! Expensive but almost totally silent. Unlike my old pancake compressor that would give me a heart attack when it started up! I've also burned up a few of the cheaper models you can get online so just decided to spend the money and get one that should outlast me!
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 08:09 AM UTC
I use a 20lbs CO2 cylinder with regulator. No sound (except the hiss of the air from the airbrush as you spray), No water in the line so no water trap needed, no power needed so I can paint any where I want to. Refill it every year or two for a few dollars and basically there are no moving parts to wear out and no issues with oil.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

I am wanting to buy a good quality airbrush to paint camo schemes with. I have been noticing that all the high wuality ones require compressor. From my understanding, these are quite loud. I live in an apartment and I don't think the neighbors would approve of a loud compressor going off all the time. Are there any that are quiet? Everything I have looked up so far seems too loud so far Thank you.

I didn't buy an Airbrush specific compressor. It's a small job-site compressor and it is quiet. Not super quiet, but enough that I can use at night, in the house, without my wife complaining of noise. It has an Aluminium tank so I don't have to worry about draining it every day.

It is a California Air Tools 1610A. It's served me well and i got it on a special sale from HD for 40% less than current value.

Lokis_Tyro
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 04:22 AM UTC
[/quote]

I didn't buy an Airbrush specific compressor. It's a small job-site compressor and it is quiet. Not super quiet, but enough that I can use at night, in the house, without my wife complaining of noise. It has an Aluminium tank so I don't have to worry about draining it every day.

It is a California Air Tools 1610A. It's served me well and i got it on a special sale from HD for 40% less than current value.

[/quote]

Looks and sounds like a great product right there. Great specs.
I too am in the market for a new compressor. The pos AB specific one I bought overheats without a fan on it. I'm looking at the Senco pc1010. I think it's rated at 69 decibels IIRC.

You could always use a portable air tank with a manual pump or a muffler box for a compressor (carpeted/sound deadener inside a box the AC goes in).
 _GOTOTOP