_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Tamiya M-1 "Thunderbolt" paint scheme
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 808 posts
Armorama: 479 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 07:27 PM UTC
Hello All,
A question about the paint scheme for Tamiya's M-1 Abrams "Thunderbolt". I've read where the early M-1's were painted in overall Forrest Green, but in Tamiya's kit instructions it calls for Olive Drab for the Thunderbolt color. Anyone know what the color should be for Thunderbolt?
Thanks & God Bless You,
Joe
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 07:47 PM UTC
Joe,
I've sat on this tank; it's dark green.
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 08:50 PM UTC
Hello Matthew,
Thanks for your response. Do you have any idea what Model Master color would be close to the dark green you are referring to?
Thanks & God Bless You,
Joe
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 09:12 PM UTC
Sorry, I don't know the Model Master range. It's pretty close to the current CARC green. I'll have to defer to others who know the MM colors or FS colors, or who have also seen this tank at Aberdeen.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, I don't know the Model Master range. It's pretty close to the current CARC green. I'll have to defer to others who know the MM colors or FS colors, or who have also seen this tank at Aberdeen.

Please take into account that this tank has been out in the open for many years, so the color today looks different (probably much lighter) from how it was 35 years ago - if it even is the same paint at all.

EDIT: I just checked some photos of the Aberdeen tank and compared them to photos of Thunderbolt from early 1980s and the tank has certainly been repainted (if it really is the same tank?) - Thunderbolt drawing is noticeably different from the original.
qcarr1
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 11:25 PM UTC
Hi Joe,

When I was an M1 Slick tank crewman back in the early 1990s, our tanks were painted in a Woodland pattern like these:

I was in the Vermont National Guard at the time and the tanks were hand-me-downs from the Regular Army. I'm not sure when they would have started using the camo vs. the green.

Question for you - is that Tamiya kit still available? Wouldn't mind building one since I used to serve on one!
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies.
Anybody have any information on different schemes used? I'm referring to some info in the Squadron Abrams book where it shows some tanks at the training center in California in what appears to be a brown over sand with black and or yellow as secondary colors. The book also has a color plate showing one in what appears to be a sand, brown and green scheme.
Q,
Yes, I have seen the kit available on E-bay on occasion. You might also find one through this or another swap site if you post that you are wanting to buy.
I also have a friend that has a couple for sale and can contact him to see what he wants for one if you want me to.
Thanks & God Bless You,
Joe
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 02:47 AM UTC
Thunderbolt was in US Forest Green the base color of the MERDC four color scheme. Not as yellow as the CARC NATO tricolor dark green and looking more like the the USAF Vietnam camouflage scheme color.

So for Model Master paints I would go with the USAF Forest Green. Pre-production M1s were tested under all kinds of conditions and appeared in most of the MERDC schemes during testing. The sand scheme is one of the desert MERDC schemes. There is also the Yukon Jack snow scheme. But when finally deployed to actual units they were overall forest green with many ending up winter verdant (forest green, field drab, black and sand)
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 03:01 AM UTC
Bravo 1102,
Was there a standard pattern for the MERDC scheme on the early M-1's. The reason I ask is because the picture/color plate doesn't look anything like the MERDC scheme I've seen on the M-60's.
Thanks & God Bless You,
Joe
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bravo 1102,
Was there a standard pattern for the MERDC scheme on the early M-1's. The reason I ask is because the picture/color plate doesn't look anything like the MERDC scheme I've seen on the M-60's.
Thanks & God Bless You,
Joe

Every MERDC scheme was uniquely developed for that vehicle so all were quite different. Many of the manual diagrams are on line but I have never seen the M1 scheme diagram except on a model kit instruction sheet. The one on the Tamiya sheet matches the photos I've seen.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello All,
A question about the paint scheme for Tamiya's M-1 Abrams "Thunderbolt". I've read where the early M-1's were painted in overall Forrest Green, but in Tamiya's kit instructions it calls for Olive Drab for the Thunderbolt color. Anyone know what the color should be for Thunderbolt?
Thanks & God Bless You,
Joe

The base Forest Green used in the MERDC Scheme was FS 34079. It's is sold as such in the Testors Model Master line. I located a basic MERDC template for the M1 online at this link: http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/TeamYankee/MERDC-Templates-Abrams.pdf
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 05:01 AM UTC
Hey Stephen/Gerald,
Thanks for the information. It's much appreciated.
God Bless You,
Joe
 _GOTOTOP