_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Air Compressor
EMT5911
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hey Guys,
Me again. I have gotten my actual airbrush quick connects, MAC valve, and moisture traps all situated but now the real dilemma has reared it's ugly head....I need a compressor. It needs to be quiet (not silent) enough to run in the basement with no ceiling, just joists and sub floor, and not cost $500, my budget is around 200. I bought a regular compressor that is a Husky which is pretty quiet but not enough. I was looking at the Badger Aspire Pro, but now I see the company TCP has a house brand called Master AB. The compressors look pretty good at reasonable prices. Anyone have any input or experience with the Master brand? Thanks again guys....
Lokis_Tyro
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 06:53 AM UTC
To start airbrushing I bought one of tcp's packages. I got a master airbrush and their single cylinder compressor with tank. The airbrush is okay. I've since replaced it with a paasche vl. The compressor is quiet but it will overheat without a fan on it and I've had to wait for it to catch up with me many times. And you will most likely have to redo the lines and connections with new teflon tape, the majority of mine leaked.
I'm looking for a new compressor as well. In the other compressor thread on the page someone suggested a california air which has nice specs if you're doing other things besides airbrushing, quiet too and in your ballpark. I think it's offered at HD. Another cheaper option I'm looking at is the Senco pc1010 for about 100 buckaroos.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 08:23 PM UTC
Hey Z-Man!

For price, performance, and quiet, I can recommend the Grex AC1810-A compressor http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/grac18hppopi1.html It's about as loud as a fish tank when it runs, it only runs when you push the trigger of the airbrush, and it's a high quality compressor. It's $200 and mine has been running faithfully for 8 years.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 01:52 AM UTC
If you want to buy a TCP single cilinder buy this one

http://www.tcpglobal.com/MASTC-40T_4.html#.VwV2Fnrwx94

is the new improve model with the cooling fan already on it and 5 year warranty
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 02:17 AM UTC
I ordered a California air tools, nice and quiet (60 dBA), 3 gal reservoir. I didn't want a dedicated airbrush compressor because I need it for some of my smaller air tools and hauls it up to the lake.
http://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-oil-free-air-compressors/1-0-hp-air-compressors/cat-3010/
I ordered mine from Home Depot, I see it for US$219 right now,
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 09:03 PM UTC
Also check this thread "Quiet Airbrush Compressor" on the same page as your thread.
IPLawyer
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want to buy a TCP single cilinder buy this one

http://www.tcpglobal.com/MASTC-40T_4.html#.VwV2Fnrwx94

is the new improve model with the cooling fan already on it and 5 year warranty

I just bought this as I posted on the "quiet compressor" thread and it really does run cooler than the TCP I started with that did not have the fan (or the tank0. At $119 from Amazon with a 5 year warranty, it seemed pretty hard to go wrong with this one.
RobBye
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:38 AM UTC
Mike, since you mentioned interest in the Badger Aspire Pro, I'll tell you I'm extremely happy with mine, I believe it'd suite your requirements perfectly, and match your price point.

I relied on several reviews on YouTube when making my choice, but since getting my TC-910, I've discovered Badger has made numerous refinements to the design. I shot my own video review, which I believe is the only one featuring the current model. Check it out if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOLzNUnmhCs

Cheers,
Removed by original poster on 04/08/16 - 02:44:36 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 04/08/16 - 02:30:25 (GMT).
EMT5911
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 08:04 AM UTC
Hey guys,
Thanks for the assistance. I have ordered the Master TC-40T from TCP, well Amazon but.... It's supposedly the quietest, 47dB, and with a 5 yr warranty, and rave reviews about their customer service when there is a problem really sold me; plus it's 119 bucks with free shipping. I'm actually thinking about getting their best airbrush as well just to see if it's any good for 55 bananas.
EMT5911
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 08:10 AM UTC
I bought the discontinued one for $98 a few weeks ago, it's a Husky Silent Flow, 5 gal aluminum tank compressor. It's actually the exact same as the California but half price. It is very quiet but no good for a sleeping toddler upstairs. I'm still gonna keep it because I mean it was only a hundred bucks and is quieter than my others. Thx for the help.

EMT5911
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 08:31 AM UTC
Going to day shift starting May 1st Matt....I will finally attempt to make 4 meetings in a row!!!! And the fact that Iain is having the next at his house is all the better because I'm literally 10 min away. Bring that resin Semovente next month....C U there.
Z-Man
EMT5911
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 - 04:54 AM UTC
Hey guys....I got my air compressor last week and although I haven't actually used it, I did plug it in and run it a little....WOW!! Hardly any noise. Noone could hear it upstairs, especially in my sons room where it counts. I can't wait to be done with the workshop to use this bad boy. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics when it's all done. Again thanks for the help and advice.
 _GOTOTOP