_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Ultrasonic bath for airbrush cleaning
fidgeh
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 01:54 PM UTC
I use a cheap ultrasonic bath to clean my airbrush components after use. Whilst they do seem to get the parts scrupulously clean I was wondering if there could possibly be any long term damamge to the parts from this cleaning method?

Has anyone any experience with this?

Edit apologies for typo in title line, can't seem to edit it.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 02:46 PM UTC
Hi Phil. I have been using an ultrasonic cleaner and lacquer thinner for a few years. The only side effect I know of is a meticulously cleaned brush.
nakpadon
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 03:40 PM UTC
If the airbrush has rubber or plastic washer/gromits, they the should be taken out if possible, before using the ultra sonic cleaner, as it can perish them over time.

Paul.
fidgeh
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 03:50 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies. I do strip down to component level to clean and usually only put the needle,nozzle and air nozzle (?), ie just the metal parts in.

The reason I'm asking this question is that I've noticed that the finish on the parts (a vintage Paasche) has started to discolour. I only use warm tap (faucet) water in the bath.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 04:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the replies. I do strip down to component level to clean and usually only put the needle,nozzle and air nozzle (?), ie just the metal parts in.

The reason I'm asking this question is that I've noticed that the finish on the parts (a vintage Paasche) has started to discolour. I only use warm tap (faucet) water in the bath.

Maybe I'm not "with it", but I've been "meticulously" cleaning my airbrushes (4 of them, and I ALWAYS break them down and clean them between color-changes) without an ultrasonic cleaner for 49 years... Without any adverse effects, and saving money, to boot. I bought my first "real" airbrush, a PAASCHE H-1 Single Action, in 1967, when I was 14- I still use that same airbrush today...
fidgeh
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 04:45 PM UTC
That's the one I've got
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 04:45 PM UTC
I have a H&S Infinti airbrush and will report that an ultrasonic cleaner WILL strip the chrome finish off the air nozzles.

Otherwise, zero problems with it.

fidgeh
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 04:52 PM UTC
That's interesting...as long as that's all it does I guess it will be alright
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 08:25 PM UTC
Phil,
I corrected the thread title for you.
I've been using an ultrasonic cleaner for years without any damage at all to my airbrushes.
edklingon
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 194 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 08:45 PM UTC
I have been using an ultrasonic cleaner with my airbrushes, and no problem, aside the chrome finishing in some AB.

And it's very good to cleaning by wife's eyeglasses too!
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 08:48 PM UTC
I mean NO disrespect in what I am going to say to anyone or any manufacturer. I have had Iwata and Babger airbrushes and have never had any noticeable effect to the airbrushes due to using an ultrasonic cleaner. I use acrylic paint and use windex as a cleaning solution in the ultrasonic cleaner followed by a distilled water cleaning. Maybe the nozzle's chrome plating was defective. I assume anything not firmly attached might be subject to coming loose. I have also seen airbrushes with a thin chrome layer that starts to wear. The grommets do not have a lifetime guarrentee and as with all rubber products tend to harden over time.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's the one I've got

I have 2 PAASCHE H-1s with Fine Tips, 1 BADGER 200 with a Fine Tip, and a BADGER 200G with an Ultra-fine Tip, all of which I use for different tasks...
PRH001
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 603 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:28 AM UTC
I have heard of airbrushes with chrome plating exhibiting areas where the underlying brass is exposed when lacquer thinner is used in them constantly. Cleaning constantly with that chemical is also a factor. This has normally been in the automotive and custom worlds and has been discussed with most major brands of airbrush. The place most commonly discussed as losing it's coating is the color cup, but other areas have had the same issue.

Airbrushes typically use brass as the main material and it is susceptible to damage from cleaners containing ammonia.

I can tell you that I have seen the trigger or an expensive Iwata brush corroded through at the base pin due to improper cleaning and care. I have no way of knowing what the user had sprayed and left in the brush to get to that point. I just inspected the rest of the brush and replaced what was needed to get it back in service.

As to whether an ultrasonic cleaner would accelerate the process, I would not hazard a guess. My recommendation would be to try your process and monitor closely to see if you get the results you hope for.

Clean and lube at the end of a spraying session and you will be miles ahead. If you clean in a solvent then lubricating the brush is essential for a long service life.

PH
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:53 AM UTC
I want one. But back at my old house, I used various pascches, badgers and Aztecs; I painted out of my garage and between colors, I'd shoot some solvent, then stick the siphon tube onto my garden hose sprayer and blast water through it. Never failed me, and you can look at my models and decide if it degraded my airbrush.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have heard of airbrushes with chrome plating exhibiting areas where the underlying brass is exposed when lacquer thinner is used in them constantly. Cleaning constantly with that chemical is also a factor. This has normally been in the automotive and custom worlds and has been discussed with most major brands of airbrush. The place most commonly discussed as losing it's coating is the color cup, but other areas have had the same issue.

Airbrushes typically use brass as the main material and it is susceptible to damage from cleaners containing ammonia.

I can tell you that I have seen the trigger or an expensive Iwata brush corroded through at the base pin due to improper cleaning and care. I have no way of knowing what the user had sprayed and left in the brush to get to that point. I just inspected the rest of the brush and replaced what was needed to get it back in service.

As to whether an ultrasonic cleaner would accelerate the process, I would not hazard a guess. My recommendation would be to try your process and monitor closely to see if you get the results you hope for.

Clean and lube at the end of a spraying session and you will be miles ahead. If you clean in a solvent then lubricating the brush is essential for a long service life.

PH

As you do not use a solvent cleaner in an ultrasonic bath it should be kinder all round.
PRH001
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 02:35 AM UTC
I have heard of people using lacquer thinner, alcohol, simple green, windex and many other solvents in ultrasonic cleaners. I'm not saying that it's the way most people use the machine or that these processes are appropriate, but I wanted to make sure hazards where known before someone damaged their brush.

Cheers,

PH
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 02:59 AM UTC
I am surprized to hear that Paul as the ultrasonic cleaners; at least the ones I purchased specifically warn against using such liquids.
PRH001
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 04:38 AM UTC
I have found that manufacturer instructions and recommendations don't seem to be major considerations for many people in the modeling community.

Maybe that's why update sets and conversions are popular and why people spray water based acrylics like Ammo of Mig with lacquer thinner and have great success ...

Cheers
PH
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:28 AM UTC
G'day all

I use an ultrasonic cleaner for my airbrushes with just water. However, before doing so I use a Pikster with cleaning fluid of some description to loosen up the gunk.

What's a Pikster? Very fine brush (comes in several sizes) made for cleaning the gaps between your teeth.

Regards

Rob
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 06:08 AM UTC
My 30 odd year old paasche developed discoloration on the nozzle many years ago. Since I shot mainly enamels and have used various solvents to clean it, some high quality and some not, I figured it was a chemical reaction with the metal. Since the paint was removed and it didn't affect the performance of the airbrush I wasn't worried about it. It looks kind of like rifle bluing or heat treated metal.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Maybe I'm not "with it", but I've been "meticulously" cleaning my airbrushes (4 of them, and I ALWAYS break them down and clean them between color-changes) without an ultrasonic cleaner for 49 years... Without any adverse effects, and saving money, to boot. I bought my first "real" airbrush, a PAASCHE H-1 Single Action, in 1967, when I was 14- I still use that same airbrush today...

I too got my first AB around the time you did. For me getting a ultrasonic cleaner was for one motivational reason, I was getting lazy. I took my cleaning to the next level. I use water as the main medium but I put a bottle in filled with some evil harsh chemical (lacquer thinner in this case in my attached pic). With enamels it rocks. For acrylic I usually us some generic acrylic thinner/cleaner. In my pic I am giving my old Testors (Aztec) a final clean after a session. So far I have not blown up or burn the house down.

The wonders of technology

Cheers

fidgeh
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:25 PM UTC
Interesting replies...thank you. I'll keep going with it and see what develops, hopefully nothing!
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting replies...thank you. I'll keep going with it and see what develops, hopefully nothing!

I have 2 Badgers and 2 Iawatas never had a problem ! Windex and water
 _GOTOTOP