Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New Book- The Sherman Tank Scandal of WWII
AUSTanker
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 04:48 AM UTC
Major new book (500 pages, nearly 500 color and B x W photos of vintage tanks and gear for modellers) on the way called "For Want of a Gun: The Sherman Tank Scandal of WW II," by Christian M. DeJohn, through Schiffer Publishers, by an old Army CAV tanker who was granted access to the world-class Nat'l Museum of Cavalry and Armor collection. The true story behind "FURY."

New sneak preview video is just up on the AMAZON website! Search for the book, Go to author page, updates, and click PLAY where you see the color photo of the TIGER tank on the left.

Tags: M4 Sherman , panther , Sherman Tank , tiger
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:28 AM UTC
And here I was thinking that most of Cooper's BS had been finally staked in the heart and buried under running water with garlic in its mouth. I'm rather inclined to go with "Armored Thunderbolt" as the definitive word on the subject but perhaps the publisher's blurb is more sensationalistic than the book itself.
saurkrautwerfer
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:47 AM UTC
I think at this point people expect the Sherman to be terrible which makes it by far easier to write mass media that works into that fact. Then it's not helped by shallow analysis that just lines up gun to gun and armor to armor and calls it quits.

It does get rather tiresome though. Certainly no worse a tank than the Panzer IV, or T-34 of similar vintage, and certainly a better tank in the wider strategic picture than anything out of the Fatherland.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think at this point people expect the Sherman to be terrible which makes it by far easier to write mass media that works into that fact. Then it's not helped by shallow analysis that just lines up gun to gun and armor to armor and calls it quits.

It does get rather tiresome though. Certainly no worse a tank than the Panzer IV, or T-34 of similar vintage, and certainly a better tank in the wider strategic picture than anything out of the Fatherland.

THANK YOU, MATT and PAUL!

I'm thinking that this new title will need to be taken with a grain of salt. I think that the facts will ultimately win out against all of the Sherman's detractors in the end. Yes, the Sherman was under-gunned and under-armored. Many of the Sherman's critics forget that the Sherman possessed much better Mechanical RELIABILITY in the field than ANY enemy Tank. The Sherman's Hydro-Electric w/Mechanical Backup Turret Traverse System could bring it's gun to bear against ANY enemy target quicker than ANY enemy Tank, as well. If a Tiger wound up ditching itself, it's Mechanical Gun Traverse System would not be able to traverse it's heavily-armored Turret, if the Tiger had situated itself in anything less than in the horizontal plane. In short, if Allied Armor came upon a Tiger stuck in this precarious position, that "invincible" Tiger was DEAD MEAT.

Consider also, that the Sherman's "live" Tracks were designed to last 2500 miles (and DID) before needing replacement- Your average German Tank's Tracks, (and that includes those "invincible" Tigers I & II), could only manage 500 miles, at BEST. Those "superior" German beasts were famous for throwing Tracks, and within the German Army, they were notorious for Transmission, Final Drive and Engine failures. Engine Compartment fires in Tigers were quite common. On the other hand, American Military Engines and Mechanical Components are known for their reliability, world-wide- That is a FACT.

The later Sherman's "new" 76mm Gun, which was supposed to be far superior to the old 75mm Gun, turned out to be only slightly better than the old 75. The 75's HE and AP Rounds were actually superior to the 76's. The Sherman, and indeed all American Tanks up to the M26, which didn't see action until the last few weeks of the war in Europe in 1945, were supposed to be used as "Breakthrough" vehicles, in SUPPORT of US Infantry, according to US ARMY doctrine during WWII, and was NOT to be used in "Armor vs. Armor" engagements. The Sherman's whole concept and design was centered around this flawed doctrine, and it's relative inadequacy against Heavy German Armor can be attributed to this line of near-sighted thinking. STILL, the Sherman managed to rack up "kills" against supposedly superior enemy Armor- The FACTS speak for themselves.

Steven Zaloga has done an excellent job in his book "Armored Thunderbolt", and brings much information to light, to be thrown right into the teeth of the Sherman's spoilsport detractors. The vaunted German Panthers' and Tiger I & II's overblown, over-rated history proves to be more bunk than the Sherman's supposedly bad record as a fighting machine, and that IS a fact...
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 08:38 AM UTC
Dennis: What are you talking about? The M1's AP shell could penetrate 50% more armour than the M3 at 100M.
saurkrautwerfer
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:58 AM UTC
I think we tend to measure tank success not by the metrics that matter, but instead by gun length and armor thickness. These are important but will not win a war alone.

I'd contend the Sherman gets a rough go simply because it was ridden hard and put into some of the toughest fighting of World War Two. It was virtually always on the offensive, traveling across Europe against a capable and well armed enemy. This will generate a lot of tank losses.

When backing up and looking at loss rates for German, or Soviet equipment all of which is generally considered "better" than the Sherman, the loss rates remain fairly comparable, if not worse for medium tanks. Indeed, Shermans in Red Army usage are lost at a rate similar to T-34s in the same battles, indicating at least some level of technical parity. When the Germans went on the offensive, the various big cats and lesser Panzers all were roughly handled by "inferior" Sherman tanks and similar platforms.

The only real "scandal" I'd content was the continued support of the Tank Destroyer as a separate branch and doctrine well after it was apparent the anti-armor mission was part of the tank mission*. The continued intrusion of non-armor personnel into the tank design process (see the shortening of the M1 76 MM) also left a mark.

In reality the Sherman was the right tool for the right job, just it could have been better with some more tweaks (updated armor, longer 76 MM gun, HVAP in quantity etc).

*This should not be confused with "tank destroyers are useless," there's certainly a place for dedicated anti-tank equipment where tanks are uneconomical or unfeasible. But the doctrine of the collective Tank Destroyer Battalion crushing panzers never came to fruition, and in practice the tanks and tank destroyers wound up doing the same missions with varying degrees of succsess
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:00 AM UTC
If you want to read something that is puts most of these Sherman bashing books to shame are a couple of reviews of Cooper's Death Trap by authors who have definitely proved that Cooper was wrong. The shame is I see time and time again people who quote Death Traps as gospel on the Sherman. The Sherman had issues but so did every tank in the war. I tried to read Death Traps but half way thru I gave up because a lot of what he said just wasn't accurate or tainted with personal issues. Yet people love sensationalism and sensationalism sells, look at the National Enquirer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R30CDHXKY2SS5H/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0891418148

http://tankandafvnews.com/2015/01/27/zaloga_interview/

SPOILER ALERT! It wasn't Pattons fault.
casailor
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we tend to measure tank success not by the metrics that matter, but instead by gun length and armor thickness. These are important but will not win a war alone.

I'd contend the Sherman gets a rough go simply because it was ridden hard and put into some of the toughest fighting of World War Two. It was virtually always on the offensive, traveling across Europe against a capable and well armed enemy. This will generate a lot of tank losses.

When backing up and looking at loss rates for German, or Soviet equipment all of which is generally considered "better" than the Sherman, the loss rates remain fairly comparable, if not worse for medium tanks. Indeed, Shermans in Red Army usage are lost at a rate similar to T-34s in the same battles, indicating at least some level of technical parity. When the Germans went on the offensive, the various big cats and lesser Panzers all were roughly handled by "inferior" Sherman tanks and similar platforms.

The only real "scandal" I'd content was the continued support of the Tank Destroyer as a separate branch and doctrine well after it was apparent the anti-armor mission was part of the tank mission*. The continued intrusion of non-armor personnel into the tank design process (see the shortening of the M1 76 MM) also left a mark.

In reality the Sherman was the right tool for the right job, just it could have been better with some more tweaks (updated armor, longer 76 MM gun, HVAP in quantity etc).

*This should not be confused with "tank destroyers are useless," there's certainly a place for dedicated anti-tank equipment where tanks are uneconomical or unfeasible. But the doctrine of the collective Tank Destroyer Battalion crushing panzers never came to fruition, and in practice the tanks and tank destroyers wound up doing the same missions with varying degrees of succsess

In 1943 the Sherman was the best tank in the world. It's gun was as good as a T-34's, it's armor was almost as good, it had superior fire control to the T-34 and as good as a Panzer III, and it was easily the most reliable tank of WWII. In 1943, the Germans had Panzer IIIs with short 50mms and a few with long 50mms, Panzer IVs with short 75s and a few with L-43 75. The Sherman just gets a bad rap. Put any other tank in its place (allied or axis) and they would have been total failures.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dennis: What are you talking about? The M1's AP shell could penetrate 50% more armour than the M3 at 100M.

Hi, Timothy- That's on paper- In actual combat, the 76mm AT round had just as MUCH trouble penetrating the Panther and Tiger I and II's Frontal Armor. Ike was LIVID when he found out that the "cure-all" M1 76mm Gun COULDN'T PERFORM AS ADVERTISED, because many of his Ordnance people had convinced him to order the incorporation of the M1 76mm into M4A3 thru M4A3E8-series and M4A1E3 production, using the new T23 Turret in order to fit the larger gun. All of these mods had cost A LOT of time, money, re-tooling, and most importantly, US Tankers' LIVES...

BTW, "AP" is an Anti-Personnel Round, i.e Canister- You're probably thinking of the 76mm "HVAP" Anti-Tank Round. The "AP" is a part of the new "HVAP" nomenclature, which was a "Hyper-Velocity Armor Piercing" Round. This is the round that was intended to be distributed to the Tank Destroyer units, only. When US tankers found out that the TDs had been equipped with these HVAP Rounds, they became very perturbed that they had been by-passed by the Army hierarchy in favor of the TDs. Eventually, US Armor units received some of the new rounds in dribbling quantities, but these didn't become plentiful, even for the TDs until the final weeks of the War in Europe...

Again, short-sightedness on the part of the AGF and US Ordnance Deparment...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

In 1943 the Sherman was the best tank in the world. It's gun was as good as a T-34's, it's armor was almost as good, it had superior fire control to the T-34 and as good as a Panzer III, and it was easily the most reliable tank of WWII. In 1943, the Germans had Panzer IIIs with short 50mms and a few with long 50mms, Panzer IVs with short 75s and a few with L-43 75. The Sherman just gets a bad rap. Put any other tank in its place (allied or axis) and they would have been total failures.

Re: "Tank Destroyers are useless"- Let's put it this way: If Tank Destroyers, both Towed and Self-propelled were SO GOOD, why doesn't any Modern Army have any use for them since the Korean Conflict?

Because today's Tanks make use of EXCELLENT Armament, Armor and Ammunition, negating the need for TDs, PLUS Modern Infantry are equipped with EXCELLENT Portable Anti-Tank weapons, such as the Stinger and RPGs, just to name a couple. Of course, Supply & Logistics, Artillery and Air Support play a HUGE ROLE in Ground Support, as was so ably demonstrated to the Germans in Normandy, France, Belgium, Italy and finally, in Germany. That goes for the Pacific Theatre, as well. ALL of our subsequent wars have shown the great value of having EXCELLENT Ground & Supply Support...

BTW- The HVAP Round, (which was meant for TD use), was in such short supply, that US Tank Units had to beg the US Army Command & Supply organizations to divert said HVAP Rounds from the TDs to their own Armored units.

Also: We could have had the M26 (90mm Main Gun) in service by early Autumn of 1944, had not the Army Ground Forces and Ordnance Department, supported by General Leslie McNair, put the M26 on the back burner. This establishment INSISTED on a separate, dedicated Tank Destroyer Force, and the misbegotten doctrine of designing a Tank (the M4) around the Infantry Support Mission, resulting in many needless casualties and deaths. THAT was the REAL SCANDAL...
qcarr1
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 07:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also: We could have had the M26 (90mm Main Gun) in service by early Autumn of 1944, had not the Army Ground Forces and Ordnance Department, supported by General Leslie McNair, put the M26 on the back burner. This establishment INSISTED on a separate, dedicated Tank Destroyer Force, and the misbegotten doctrine of designing a Tank (the M4) around the Infantry Support Mission, resulting in many needless casualties and deaths. THAT was the REAL SCANDAL...

It's perhaps possible that M26 development could have been a little further along by Autumn, 1944 but not much. The small number that were deployed to the Western front in early 1945 did okay, but were still not really ready for front line service. The fully developed/upgraded version of M26 turned was the M46 Patton that went into production in 1949.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It's perhaps possible that M26 development could have been a little further along by Autumn, 1944 but not much. The small number that were deployed to the Western front in early 1945 did okay, but were still not really ready for front line service. The fully developed/upgraded version of M26 turned was the M46 Patton that went into production in 1949.

I used "M26" as a general term- The M26 was actually designated as: Tank, Heavy T26E3, upon it's entry into official service in the US ARMY. 40 of these were produced, with 20 being shipped to Europe in the last few weeks of the war in Germany...
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And here I was thinking that most of Cooper's BS had been finally staked in the heart and buried under running water with garlic in its mouth. I'm rather inclined to go with "Armored Thunderbolt" as the definitive word on the subject but perhaps the publisher's blurb is more sensationalistic than the book itself.

And there ya have it.
saurkrautwerfer
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 08:44 PM UTC
Re: Tank destroyers

The thing with a cannon on it that's not quite a tank did not live long after the end of the war. However the dedicated anti-tank vehicle lived, and lives on in things like the M56, the Ontos, M150, M901, Stryker ATGM etc, etc.

Like I said, there's a need for vehicles that kill tanks that do not come with the cost/burden of a tank. The fact it doesn't look like an M10 is immaterial.

Re: "Begging"

It's worth noting that even when the 76 MM armed tanks they were left behind in the UK during D-Day because no one wanted them. Even then in the fairly limited US tank on tank fighting coming out of the Summer of 1944, while there was a press for a better gun, and then even a better gun on top of the 76 MM that existed it took the Bulge for the myth of the Sherman as utterly useless to start.

Looking back on it, with perfect hindsight we can see the M1 needed to be a full length gun. We can also see how useful the M26 would have been if it'd arrived in number in Summer-Fall 1944. But they didn't have that hindsight in June 1944. And until that moment the Sherman had proven to be one of the best tanks of the war.

The scandal thing irks me too. It's not like there was a sinister cabal of Army generals working in the basement of the proto-pentagon plotting how to lose the war by inferior tank designs. There were a lot of factors at the time that perfectly reasonable people fell victim to in regards to not building a better tank. We like to pretend it was just one general who screwed it all up, but literally hundreds if not thousands of senior and not so senior military folks and civilians all played their tiny part in ensuring that 75 MM armed Shermans would be as common as they were, while M26s would not be a factor.

As the case was the Sherman did about as good as any other tank would have, with the added advantages of being quite plentiful (I think there were two Shermans for every German full tracked AFV ever produced), and amazingly reliable*

*Which is odd in a way. We harp on McNair for keeping the TD doctrine alive well after it was due to be put down, but on the other hand his obsession with reliability is a big part in the success of US armor and motorized equipment.
AUSTanker
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 08:55 PM UTC
Sneak preview VIDEO for the book is here- great vintage and new tank photos!!

http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Mark-DeJohn/e/B01DTSCSEK/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1
AUSTanker
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:56 PM UTC
QUICK- Somebody tell the National Armor and Cavalry Foundation that they don't exist, as someone posted - because their Museum is going to take up 30-plus acres of land and 100,000 sqaure feet at Ft. Benning!!

armorcavalrymuseum.org

"Our mission: to create a world-class museum to honor all our mounted warriors, past, present, and future, and their families. The site is on land adjacent to the National Infantry Museum.

When completed, this site will be the US Army's largest museum complex."

A worthy cause- support and pass it on.
Axis23
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 11:37 PM UTC
I have to ask one question: If American Sherman crews had to laden their tanks with sand bag armor and logs, how much faith in the design to thwart German tanks and German antitank guns did they really have?

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/Stealth-Ranger/M4A3E8%20Sherman%20BM%20Group%20Build/14AD2025TB20B17203-14-45.jpg

I am not sure if I ever have seen any pictures of a German tank with so much added amour by their crew.

I am not here to pick a side on what country had the best tank during the war, I am just curious why American crews felt it so necessary to add so much extra amour.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:21 AM UTC
First a Stinger is an anti-aircraft missile, not anti tank.

The sand bags were also added to protect against the most plentiful German anti-tank weapon, Panzer Fausts and Panzershreks. Any soldier on the side of the road in a bush could kill a Sherman, or almost any other tank for that matter. The Sherman was a good tank for 1943. the Army's failure was to grasp the idea that weapons would evolve and get more deadly as the war went on. Complacency was the problem.

Tom
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Had a close friend that probably knew more about the M26 series tanks than anybody I've ever ran across. He was very late WWII (not positive he ever saw much if any combat in WWII). What he told me that the M26 was in constant development all the way thru the Korean War. Many little changes here and there that to us mean little. He also did the full Korean War in an M26a1 (I think that's what it was anyway). The M46 was similar to the M26 in many ways, but also included all the upgrades given to the M26 plus a few others here and there.

Bob spoke of combat against the T34/85 as if it was last week. The M26 was superior in most ways, but not all. He said the 85mm gun on the T34 was capable of knocking out any tank in that era. Had little use for the M4e8 used in Korea, and even less for the M24. Bob also said the 75mm gun on a Panther was capable of busting the M26 just about anytime it wanted to. Plus the 88mm was good at busting up anything on the battle field.

For those that might want to know, Bob was they fellow they interviewed in the World's Greatest Tank Battles. His tale of the head on collision with the T34/85 was something to be heard. We lost him about nine months ago, and I still talk with his Widow weekly.
gary
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Re: Tank destroyers

The thing with a cannon on it that's not quite a tank did not live long after the end of the war. However the dedicated anti-tank vehicle lived, and lives on in things like the M56, the Ontos, M150, M901, Stryker ATGM etc, etc.

Like I said, there's a need for vehicles that kill tanks that do not come with the cost/burden of a tank. The fact it doesn't look like an M10 is immaterial.

Re: "Begging"

It's worth noting that even when the 76 MM armed tanks they were left behind in the UK during D-Day because no one wanted them. Even then in the fairly limited US tank on tank fighting coming out of the Summer of 1944, while there was a press for a better gun, and then even a better gun on top of the 76 MM that existed it took the Bulge for the myth of the Sherman as utterly useless to start.

Looking back on it, with perfect hindsight we can see the M1 needed to be a full length gun. We can also see how useful the M26 would have been if it'd arrived in number in Summer-Fall 1944. But they didn't have that hindsight in June 1944. And until that moment the Sherman had proven to be one of the best tanks of the war.

The scandal thing irks me too. It's not like there was a sinister cabal of Army generals working in the basement of the proto-pentagon plotting how to lose the war by inferior tank designs. There were a lot of factors at the time that perfectly reasonable people fell victim to in regards to not building a better tank. We like to pretend it was just one general who screwed it all up, but literally hundreds if not thousands of senior and not so senior military folks and civilians all played their tiny part in ensuring that 75 MM armed Shermans would be as common as they were, while M26s would not be a factor.

As the case was the Sherman did about as good as any other tank would have, with the added advantages of being quite plentiful (I think there were two Shermans for every German full tracked AFV ever produced), and amazingly reliable*

*Which is odd in a way. We harp on McNair for keeping the TD doctrine alive well after it was due to be put down, but on the other hand his obsession with reliability is a big part in the success of US armor and motorized equipment.

The one thing everyone fails to see with the Sherman design was it build ability. It was designed from the get go to be built in mass. They literally spit them out faster than the bad guys could manufacture ammo! It was literally a mass produced stop gap weapons system. Pretty much the equal to the PzKw. IV. F2. Yet with several advantages even though it was under gunned.

U.S. manufacturing is what won WWII. Just look at the Sherman tank, and the bomber manufacturing alone. We built them faster than they could shoot them down! Germans speak of this issue often, and they are right. Now how fast they could build the M26 tank; I haven't a clue. Appears tobe much slower than the Sherman.
gary
AUSTanker
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:49 AM UTC

Paul, have you actually read this book, or spoken with the author? How do you know his intentions, argument, tone, in a 500-page book? Are you a mind reader?

With your ability to pass judgement on a book you've never read- which isn't even coming out until next year- we should be seeing you on a reality show, demonstrating your mind reading skills!

Quoted Text

AUSTanker
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:51 AM UTC
BINGO! Thanks for bringing less heat, more light!

Quoted Text

I have to ask one question: If American Sherman crews had to laden their tanks with sand bag armor and logs, how much faith in the design to thwart German tanks and German antitank guns did they really have?

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/Stealth-Ranger/M4A3E8%20Sherman%20BM%20Group%20Build/14AD2025TB20B17203-14-45.jpg

I am not sure if I ever have seen any pictures of a German tank with so much added amour by their crew.

I am not here to pick a side on what country had the best tank during the war, I am just curious why American crews felt it so necessary to add so much extra amour.

AUSTanker
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:52 AM UTC
Have you read this book? Spoken with the author?

Quoted Text

AUSTanker
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:54 AM UTC

Russel, have you read this book? Spoken to the author?

Your criticism is based on...what, exactly?

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And there ya have it.

AUSTanker
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:56 AM UTC
Gary, would have loved to interview him for the book- not too many T26 tankers still drinking canteen gin today! Best, Christian