miniart rant
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hi all,
My first complete Miniart build. And my last.
It's the shed with wood fence.
My kudos go out to you guys who like them.
Instructions are vey vague. I didn't find 2 sections that fit together well.Flemsy,cheap vaccumformed plastic.Tons of trimming. I have so many gaps in this that now need to be filled. Today I just glued it all together and will fix it later. In the end it will look good, but I could have built it myself without the time and aggravation.
Example is The French Café in the first photo.
Layer balsa down first to the parts some support. Didn't much help with fit.
 photo miniart 009_zpsuxmlr7uj.jpg  photo miniart 008_zpsn7trvjr8.jpg  photo miniart 001_zpso8c2mika.jpg  photo miniart 007_zpsdxscmtmn.jpg  photo miniart 006_zpswzokgza9.jpg  photo miniart 005_zps5wrhglfo.jpg  photo miniart 004_zps1mdibruf.jpg  photo miniart 003_zps7xzptq8w.jpg  photo miniart 002_zpslol5vkl1.jpg

Tom
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 12:59 AM UTC
I built the "Ruined Factory". The front and backs of the walls don't line up all that great and the seam!! Especially trying to fill the seams on the damaged brick walls. I would probably try to build one again, but I would stay away from anything brick.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hi Tom, sorry to hear of all your troubles with the fit! Good to know though.

Looks like you did a really good job of saving it! If there are still unattractive gaps/lines, our friend "weathering" can cover many headaches! Haha

Nice build as always

Cheers
Nick
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 01:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,
My first complete Miniart build. And my last.
It's the shed with wood fence.
My kudos go out to you guys who like them.
Instructions are vey vague. I didn't find 2 sections that fit together well.Flemsy,cheap vaccumformed plastic.Tons of trimming.

Hi

Yes it is vac formed and it's something that is well known. It's how they keep the price competitive. A resin equivalent would cost you way more.

It does take a certain technique to work with any vac formed kit, and it seems there are quite a few if you are an aircraft modeller, but Miniart seems to be the only major producer in this area of interest.

In fairness to Miniart they do have comprehensive videos on their web site explaining the best way to go about building their kits.

Did you look at these or read any blogs related to Miniart buildings before making yours?

Alan
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 01:42 AM UTC
Thanks guys,
Watched a video on someone doing a Miniart building.
Did more work than me and still says they're a pain in the ass.Just me ,but it's better and easier to scratch build from their photos.
If you can get the building accessories ,They are a lot of great doors and such to have. Always on backorder.

Tom
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 02:15 AM UTC
Hi Tom, That looks like a tough one. I built one of their larger buildings ('Russian Street') awhile back which didn’t have anywhere near the complexity of angles and joints that I’m seeing here. Granted, the Vacuform was a lot of work, I still enjoyed the build — just needed to walk away, from time-to-time!

Once you get past that main assembly tedium, I’m certain you’ll dazzle us with another great looking dio!

—mike
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 02:25 AM UTC
Hi Alan,
I've watched the videos. And the new one is the same old one with music. It all goes together fine.BS.
If you like their product ,good for you.
Just stating my opinion.

Tom
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 02:29 AM UTC
Thanks Mike.
Keep watching.

Tom
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 04:26 AM UTC
I know how you feel. My first Mini Art building was terrible; not a single straight line, or 90 degree angle anywhere. But they do get better:

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 05:16 AM UTC
look i dont know in north europe with that kind of building but in my area all the old houses looks 90° but is not,my family house in south switzerland was build in different stage in the last 8-900 years from the basement up, but you dont find one angle really 90° ,everything between 100 and 80° is ok!!... ....the only one straigth is the last one from the 60'...in my area we used to say "pay the eye" basically means "if look ok is ok"
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 08:07 PM UTC
There's this tourist attraction Tudor mansion house in England that was built with green timbers. Over the years (centuries) the timbers have warped until the entire structure is crooked and twisted in every direction. Even though, it's still structurally sound.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 08:58 PM UTC
I like your first picture of your work.
I like Miniart very much. You have to know how to cut them correctly & paint them correctly.Yes, you have to use putty in the joints to smooth them. You have to use "oil paints" in the painting process or it just doesn't do it justice. You also have to know how to weather a building.
There's noone else on the market who creates so many diorama & buildings for us.
Verlinden's all resin bases are very, very nice ...but they are limited.
Your building in the last picture is ace. Use oil paint on it.IMO
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... You have to use "oil paints" in the painting process or it just doesn't do it justice. ...

There's no way I'm using oil paints to paint my apartment, acrylic paints work just fine! ... Oops, off topic.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:00 PM UTC
Try to tackle Chesterfield Church spire.
pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:47 PM UTC
You could also try texture paints like those from Tamiya or Vallejo on the edges of bricks -this helps hide the seam and also adds a realistic texture to damaged brick work.(Picked that one oup from FC model tips).

ultimately though Vacufirmed kit = work (and usually a lot of it) but the results to me eye are usually worth it.
FWIW; I often use foamboard to add internal support to the parts if they need it.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You could also try texture paints like those from Tamiya or Vallejo on the edges of bricks -this helps hide the seam and also adds a realistic texture to damaged brick work. ...

Yes! ... anything to get rid of those unsightly seams! One other thing I’ve noticed … As Vacuform frustration sets in, some modelers tend to fill-in the seams and just sand them down to the point where they are smooth and rounded — call it good! With just a little more effort one can jag things up a bit and then add some broken brick pieces to the edges, ultimately resulting in a more realistic damaged look. HTH.

—mike
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2016 - 04:54 AM UTC
Hi all,
Never thought I'd get this reaction to this and it's great.
Anyway,added balsa to fill a lot.Gave it a quick coat of black to give me a better idea of the end.
Small gaps will be covered with foliage in the end.
Your right Mike.I thought the filler rounds it off too much and will add debris to the ends.

Tom  photo rant 2 001_zpsk7jmml0n.jpg  photo rant 2 002_zpsuzg1kurg.jpg  photo rant 2 003_zpsdj9owtsm.jpg  photo rant 2 004_zpss9qrwx2z.jpg  photo rant 2 005_zpsgwauei1s.jpg  photo rant 2 006_zpsvekxcdez.jpg  photo rant 2 007_zpsoz4pna2k.jpg  photo rant 2 008_zpschsgunzc.jpg  photo rant 2 009_zpswrhsjq0c.jpg
jasperck
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2016 - 05:28 AM UTC
I've done a few MiniArt buildings with reasonable success, but recently I've found that I can just scratchbuild houses, ruins, etc. using foamcore, balsa, and plaster. It takes a little more effort than building a vac kit, but I find it a lot less frustrating. The best part of scratchwork in my opinion is that I can build everything to my specification (and reference material): size, construction material, state of disrepair, etc.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've done a few MiniArt buildings with reasonable success, but recently I've found that I can just scratchbuild houses, ruins, etc. using foamcore, balsa, and plaster. It takes a little more effort than building a vac kit, but I find it a lot less frustrating. The best part of scratchwork in my opinion is that I can build everything to my specification (and reference material): size, construction material, state of disrepair, etc.

Totally agree with everything you say.
I can take a Miniart image and copy it by scratch.
Maybe more time,but much less aggravation and more self satisfaction.I do like their accessories,as in windows ,lamps,etc.,but they are never in stock on the major sites.
Biggles2,looks like the same building?Did you do your own roof?

Tom
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 04:17 AM UTC
Yeah, same building. Wood strip roof framing and 1/32 (close enough) shingles from Rusty Stumps http://www.rustystumps.com/products.asp?cat=27
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 09:03 PM UTC
Hi Tom - I'll second the support/recommendation for Rusty Stumps - they make all sorts of interesting stuff in many scales, and Walt is a great guy! I've worked with him on a variety of projects, and he has delivered as promised. Maybe worth considering for a future build.

Take care
Nick
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 12:36 AM UTC
Steps to building a successful Miniart building,

Step 1 Buy overpriced building
Step 2 watch video online
Step 3 follow direction, remove parts from sheets
Step 4 realize it's a lost cause, make measurements, throw building into trash, keep accessories
Step 5 vow never again...

repeat as needed until lesson learned.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steps to building a successful Miniart building,

Step 1 Buy overpriced building
Step 2 watch video online
Step 3 follow direction, remove parts from sheets
Step 4 realize it's a lost cause, make measurements, throw building into trash, keep accessories
Step 5 vow never again...

repeat as needed until lesson learned.

Love it Mike.
I was thinking it's only me.
This was going in the garbage very soon after starting,but I spent good money on it and damn one way or the other I'll finish it.
Anyway here's some pics on the paint as base coats.
Do you guys want me to post progress or wait till it's finished ???

Tom
 photo Building3 001_zps2nv1xqu9.jpg  photo Building3 002_zpscpusdp2z.jpg  photo Building3 003_zpstijgwudo.jpg  photo Building3 004_zpsgln6nukg.jpg  photo Building3 005_zpsej4wtufx.jpg  photo Building3 006_zpsxva7en32.jpg  photo Building3 007_zpsnfmoccqu.jpg
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 05:35 AM UTC
keep posting, you might just shame me into digging out my couple of 'projects', dust them off, open the box, then throw them back onto the shelf (too much of a cheapskate to bin them)
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 06:19 AM UTC
Tom, Please keep posting the WIP. However, now that you've decided to go ahead with the build, the current title seems very negative regarding MiniArt. ... Maybe start a new Thread? Just sayin.'

—mike
 _GOTOTOP