_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Panther Ausf. A Camouflage Scheme
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 05:07 AM UTC
This is my first post on the forum. I am working on a panther ausf. a kit and it is my first attempt at doing camouflage on armour. I am looking for feedback on my camo scheme.

I will also be weathering this and I am looking as to how to blend the camo together ( I do not have access to an airbrush).

EDIT: it appears the photos did not post properly, but they are located in my image gallery, they are the only photos there.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 05:33 AM UTC
I think that's extremely nice looking. Especially considering you didn't use an air brush.

I'll post the pics for you.

Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 05:36 AM UTC
What kit is that?

Anyways, to help with your weathering questions. What I do is, after I do my clear gloss, decals and clear gloss again... I then do a wash over the entire tank. Then I clean it up, wipe most of it away and let dry. Then I do a pin wash and streaking.

The main wash over the entire tank will help blend everything together nicely.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 05:43 AM UTC
It is an old italeri Panther Ausf A kit, kit number 270. Thank you for the tips, is vallejo satin varnish a good enough gloss coat or should I get something else?

Also am I correct in saying that the Ausf A was never painted in hinterhalt (ambush) camo, i was going to add the dots to make it ambush but wasn't sure if this would be correct.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 06:13 AM UTC
The Ausf. A ended production in May '44, and Hinterhalt went into use the following August so none were factory-painted that way, and most likely were not repainted retroactively. There are also two versions depending on which factory produced the vehicles affected. Daimler-Benz used the contrasting dots and MAN/MNH used the interlocking discs.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 06:26 AM UTC
I can't speak for any other gloss, except what I use. I use Future floor wax. It works very very good and you get a huge bottle that'll probably last forever. It's self leveling and you pretty much can't mess it up.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 06:49 AM UTC
Can you fill the gap at the front of the hull where the upper and lower hull meet?

I see you brushed the paint on and there are no missed small spots due to the rough zimm. Nice

I might try to smooth out some of the edges where the colors meet.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 07:49 AM UTC
Very striking cammo. Well executed, especially as it is applied using a brush. Looking forward to more progress.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 07:51 AM UTC
Thank you all for the positive feedback, I was nervous doing it as a first ever attempt. I ordered a TASCA firefly and was thinking of making a diorama down the road with both as a Falaise pocket scene
 _GOTOTOP