_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
CCKW 352 - Hobby Boss with Italeri cab
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 05:30 AM UTC
In case anyone wonders how the Hobby Boss CCKW 352 looks with Italeri cab, below are some pics of my model finished today. The front grille is from Limes Model. Replacing the cab is not quite straightforward, because the frame is not the same shape in both kits and the engine is molded with cab parts in Italeri, while it is separate and attached to the frame in the HB kit. But as you can see the Italeri cab can be put on HB kit with some effort and looks much better than the misshapen HB part.

The cab in my model has been additionally modified to improve the shape of doors, as I don't like how Italeri made the upper edge flat, while they should be slightly curved. It wasn't easy modification, but I prefer the end result in my model from the original Italeri shape.

My CCKW tows the AFV Club M2A1 howitzer.

More photos on my website: http://vodnik.net/pages/CCKW_105/cckw_105.htm
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:28 AM UTC
That's so nice. I need to do something similar.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:31 AM UTC
This looks really, really nice. Just because I don't know and haven't looked into it, what's wrong with the Hobbyboss cab?
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 08:29 AM UTC
Wow. That is great. Looks like the real thing!
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This looks really, really nice. Just because I don't know and haven't looked into it, what's wrong with the Hobbyboss cab?

The doors are too small.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/225302
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 09:56 AM UTC
Pawel, that is really beautiful. I like your subtle weathering technique. It is so effective. Your models really highlight the work you put into the build. I have read elsewhere that this is a needed fix if you want an accurate CCKW. Thanks for posting it. I am also happy to see you updating your own site again.

Regards,

Eric
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 11:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The doors are too small.

That's right, but it's not just that: the overall length of the cab is correct, but the driver's compartment is too short, while engine compartment is too long. The proportions are significantly off because of that - for me it is very visible.
deathdork
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 12:17 PM UTC
Actually if I am not mistaken the Italeri hard top cab owes it's lineage to the old Peerless Max kit. Nearly 40 years old. Quite a testament for the original.
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 12:35 PM UTC
Hi gang, I don't know if anyone is interested but I did the same thing with a Tamiya kitbash.
astursimmer
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 12:51 PM UTC
Hi Pawel,
Great adaption! Congrats!
I remember from a comparison to a drawing in the tankograd TM, using the door length as a known references, the HB cabin was was ok as you say in one of your replies, but then the praised italeri cabin could be around 2 to 3 mm too short. Did it cause you any problem? Did you actually notice it at all?
Nacho
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Pawel,
Great adaption! Congrats!
I remember from a comparison to a drawing in the tankograd TM, using the door length as a known references, the HB cabin was was ok as you say in one of your replies, but then the praised italeri cabin could be around 2 to 3 mm too short. Did it cause you any problem? Did you actually notice it at all?
Nacho

I didn't notice this problem. But there was enough problems to make the Italeri cab fit the HB frame, that 2mm overall length difference was easy to miss. And I usually start measuring things when they don't look right to me (which is quite often actually...) and the Italeri cab looks right. Correct proportions are more important than absolute size - as eye always identifies shape problems sooner than size problems.

But I just realized that I made one more modification to Italeri cab - I lowered boarding steps about 2 - 3 mms. I think they are too close to the door bottom in the Italeri cab, or at least they seemed to be placed too high when I test fitted parts on my model. I think it looks right now.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 02:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi gang, I don't know if anyone is interested but I did the same thing with a Tamiya kitbash.

Sure, show us! I considered it, but prefer the closed cab.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:27 PM UTC
Great job! Cheers, here, here!

I am waiting for the SWB with gun ring to get to the US and to come down in price a bite before I start mine. (Do not want to put any more money in HB's pocket than I have to for their messed up cab!) Will also be using the Italeri cab to finish off mine.
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:51 PM UTC
Great work Pawell. I like the subtle weathering and the job.
I have an Italeri one and waiting for the HB to do the same.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards from the south
Alvaro
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 08:36 PM UTC
Here's a few conversions that I did using the Tamiya chassis and the Italeri cab. It is not too tough!

And some other conversions still in progress:

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 09:07 PM UTC
And the cab swap works in the opposite direction as well; Tamiya open cab placed on the Italeri water truck.

Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 11:53 PM UTC
It has been pointed out that front facing reflectors should be amber, not red. I repainted them to correct color on my model already, but to save myself some work I altered my photos digitally - but the color on the photos still matches the actual corrected color on my model, so no cheating here
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 - 06:26 PM UTC
Excellent, excellent build! Kudos.
seabee1526
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 185 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 - 06:53 PM UTC
Looks great...time for you to bring it to market, I'd buy one.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 01:40 AM UTC
Pawel, if you don't mind me asking, where did the ammo boxes come from? Also nicely done!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 05:44 PM UTC
Would you please give me any advice/tips you can offer on bending that large piece of etch for the gas tank shield?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In case anyone wonders how the Hobby Boss CCKW 352 looks with Italeri cab, below are some pics of my model finished today. The front grille is from Limes Model. Replacing the cab is not quite straightforward, because the frame is not the same shape in both kits and the engine is molded with cab parts in Italeri, while it is separate and attached to the frame in the HB kit. But as you can see the Italeri cab can be put on HB kit with some effort and looks much better than the misshapen HB part.

The cab in my model has been additionally modified to improve the shape of doors, as I don't like how Italeri made the upper edge flat, while they should be slightly curved. It wasn't easy modification, but I prefer the end result in my model from the original Italeri shape.

My CCKW tows the AFV Club M2A1 howitzer.

More photos on my website: http://vodnik.net/pages/CCKW_105/cckw_105.htm

AN ADMIRABLE JOB!!!

I've done numerous ITALERI/TAMIYA CCKW353 kit-bash projects, using different components of each, plus a lot of aftermarket stuff; I really like the ABER PE sets- hard to find, but not impossible. I also really like the DEF CCKW "sagged" Tire/Wheelsets. I've seen enough real CCKW 352s and 353s to see that even when the Tires are pumped up to the correct air pressure, there is still some "bulge & sag" to them...

I MIGHT try an HB/ITALERI cross-breed, after seeing this...
seabee1526
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 185 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 09:43 PM UTC
What technique did you use to modify the Italeri doors to make them less "flat"?
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 10:57 PM UTC
Pawel, really excellent build and outstanding finish! Great model.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2017 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What technique did you use to modify the Italeri doors to make them less "flat"?

The doors were easy - I just carefully bent the upper frame - actually it broke in half in one door in the process and I had to repair it. I made a new glass for the right side door matching the new frame shape (there's no glass in the left side one).

More difficult was the shape of the door opening. I first drilled a row of holes above the door opening and connected them to create a single long hole. It allowed me to push the upper door opening "frame" upwards to give it more curved shape. Once I reached the desired shape, I filled the opening with CA glue and hit it with accelerator. Then I restored the smooth roof shape with putty.
 _GOTOTOP