_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Shermaholics, I need a little advice
Gewehr43
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 05:41 AM UTC
Hi, everyone. I primarily build German and Soviet armor, but have recently struck a serious interest to build this:

The tanks is Big Bertha. My great uncle was the gunner and is the gentleman standing on the left in the second photo. I'd no idea these photos existed until just the other day and now I'd like to pay a humble homage to him and his crew.

My problem is that I'm clueless about Shermans. I can tell you that it's a late HVSS 105 Howitzer tank of the 777th tank battalion of the 10th Armored Division. Beyond that, I can't discern much in the way of details.

I have Dragon's kit 6354 in the stash and I'd like to use it as a base. However, reading the reviews of it on PMMS make it sound nigh unbuildable, with the mantlet being the grossest offender.

My desire is to correct it as much as is practical. Kitbashing isn't really an option at the moment, and I'm not after 110% perfect detail. But, I would like to correct major, glaring mistakes. What do I need to do to this kit to get it to match Big Bertha in the photos? Does anyone have a tweak list or any other information for me on aftermarket correction parts, etc?

Thank you!
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 06:28 AM UTC
If you want to go with just the mantlet correction, TMD makes one I believe, even a whole new turret if you want. I don't think the kit is that bad, it's no Tasca/Asuka but with a little attention should fit the bill.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP