_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Blending German Camo
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 09:14 AM UTC
I am wondering what the best methods are for blending german camo together. Right now I am happy with the camo job on my panther tank, but the colors are too bold. I would like them to look more faded and blended together. I dont have an airbrush and typically use tamiya acrylic.

Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 09:31 AM UTC
Two things will help tone down and blend the cammo. Assuming you used a dark yellow or something similar for the 3 color pattern use a heavily thinned base coat and apply several light coats over the entire model. You could forgo that and just apply an overall weathering wash. I generally do both. Either will help tone down the stark contrast and help blend it all together. Good luck.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 09:35 AM UTC
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 10:09 AM UTC
Matthew,
Yes, that looks like a nice start but toning it down and blending it together would be a great idea and make you happier with your overall result. I would agree with Armorsmith that a filter would help a great deal. Try a light gray filter (about 1 part gray to ten parts thinner and then thin a bit more! If you are using an airbrush just load it up and give the whole thing a couple of thin coats. Adding another filter using the base dunkelgelb to help tie it together would be helpful as well. After that has dried rock hard I would use a wash to help bring out some of the detail before I started with the actual weathering process.
Good luck and post a picture or two for people to see your progress and provide further help with the next steps.
Cheers,
Rick
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 - 07:44 PM UTC
I am applying decals today and will start the blending tomorrow. In terms of the grey filter, how dark should it be, I was thinking JN Grey (XF-12) is that too light?
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 04:47 AM UTC
Before and after pics of the filter

Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:29 AM UTC
Shaping up nicely. Nice cammo pattern as well.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:37 AM UTC
Thank you! What can I do to touch up areas I am not 100% happy with in terms of the filter? Some are a little thick and others it looks a little sloppy
 _GOTOTOP