_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Filtering with Zimmerit
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2016 - 10:39 PM UTC
This will be my first attempt at applying filters to a model, I have read up on them pretty extensively online and feel I understand how to make and apply one. My only question is should I do anything different since my model has zimmerit on it?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 12:02 AM UTC
Go with the zimm instead of across it,and don't let it accumulate in the ridges,it's not a wash,just for tinting .
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 02:55 AM UTC
Thank you for the reply, my decals are already on, is it okay to apply the filter over them or should i go around them?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 02:59 AM UTC
Put a clear coat to protect them,then filter and weather them so they blend in .
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 03:00 AM UTC
Awesome thanks, clear coat is already on and has cured for about 3 days

Also is it okay to make my filter with isopropyl alcohol or will this react with the Future gloss coat?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 03:19 AM UTC
I believe future is impervious to everthing,perhaps someone else would know for sure.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 03:56 AM UTC
I applied my filter but over did it in some spots, is there anyway to remove it and try again?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 04:08 AM UTC
You said your filter was made with alcohol,if so try to remove it with a brush dampened with alchohol.

Filtering is best done with enamels or oils,they don't dry as fast and can be adjusted easier.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 07:21 AM UTC
Bringing this topic back alive, I am going to try a yellow ochre filter in artist oil in a couple days. How can I avoid the filter filling in the ridges in the zimmerit?
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 09:32 AM UTC
Dont soak to much the brush and go in the direction of the Zimmerit,if still fill the ridges after try to go trough again with a clean dry brush to remove the filter where you need
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 10:46 AM UTC
Use a wide soft brush for filters. Squeeze out most of the filter solution and apply quickly and evenly. Try to avoid going over the same area twice, at least until after the filter has dried. Unlike a wash, a filter should be no more than 5% pigment, or color, to 95% solvent. If one filter coat isn't enough, then apply another when dry.
bigjsd
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 11:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This will be my first attempt at applying filters to a model, I have read up on them pretty extensively online and feel I understand how to make and apply one. My only question is should I do anything different since my model has zimmerit on it?

If I may ask, why are you using a filter? Is your color wrong? Is there a specific tint you are going for? It seems some people apply filters because it's listed as one of the steps in finishing a model instead of a specific purpose.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 11:30 AM UTC
Note also that filters work better on a matt surface. The Future coat is anything but matt...
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If I may ask, why are you using a filter? Is your color wrong? Is there a specific tint you are going for? It seems some people apply filters because it's listed as one of the steps in finishing a model instead of a specific purpose.

There's nothing like experimentation, to see if you like an effect.
astursimmer
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

There's nothing like experimentation, to see if you like an effect.

I agree with John, sometimes we do things we see others do just to be as cool as the coolest modellers... and buy the same products they use, there is a lot of marketing going on about that, and it really works, also with me.
You have to know what a filter can be used for, if not, I see no point in testing what it does on a model. Experiments, I prefer do them on test plates.
May we comment what everyone is using filters for?
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 09:09 PM UTC
My main interest right now on my Panther model is to tone down the camo, I received some advice on here that indicated a filter might help, however in my opinion it did not tone the camo down, so in my case a filter was a probably a waste. Anyone have advice on how to tone down a camo pattern without an airbrush?
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 03:58 AM UTC
Put on a flat, clear coat. Mix 95:5 ratio -- thinner + base color. Brush it on evenly, and don't let puddles collect on recessed parts.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My main interest right now on my Panther model is to tone down the camo, I received some advice on here that indicated a filter might help, however in my opinion it did not tone the camo down, so in my case a filter was a probably a waste. Anyone have advice on how to tone down a camo pattern without an airbrush?

In the case of German Tri-Color Camo,a very light misting of Dunkelgelb 90-10 over the whole model will do it.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 04:49 AM UTC
I don't have an airbrush so unfortunately no light misting, which is unfortunate because that seems like the easiest method. Would the oil dot method work?
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't have an airbrush so unfortunately no light misting, which is unfortunate because that seems like the easiest method. Would the oil dot method work?

You can, but you will have to use the hand brush as well. You seem to be unnecessarily complicating your work. The formula for that misting coat has been laid out as above. No airbrush? then get the hairy stick, hand brush it on -- do thin, even coats. Brush it on one stroke after another, no overlaps. Look out for puddles collecting on recesses -- take them off with a dry brush. One uniform coat should do it. Do it on a test piece to get your confidence up, then go for it.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 08:57 AM UTC
In terms of the method outlined above, can I do it with acrylic? I don't have a colour close to the base in oils
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:55 AM UTC
Yes, you may do that.
astursimmer
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 10:11 AM UTC
Butt the recommended misting 90-10 applied with a brush is nothing else than what is called a ....filter. Which was already reported not giving the desired results.
Without an airbrush, apart of repeating the filter several times till toning down the camo, the other only technique I can think of is the good old "dry Brush"
 _GOTOTOP