_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Paint colours / Sets for Rusdian troops
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 10:10 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
Does anyone know of which colours or any sets to paint Russian troops in A'stan & Checyna??
Cheers Mike
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 03:07 PM UTC
There's no actual sets as far as I know- I wish there was frankly! But for Afghanistan you are looking at a mostly khaki/tan colored uniform for both winter and temperate. For VDV style camo it would be a light-ish green and a pale sand or light tan color. In Chechnya the aforementioned tan uniforms were also present quite a bit, more so in the First Chechen war but there were a plethora of different uniforms used in both Chechen wars. I don't have the time right now to go through them but I will later unless someone else beats me to it in the mean-time.
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 04:23 PM UTC
Hi Karl,
Thanks that's a start at least, I have some evolution figures in a cold weather type uniform, which I think is some sort of a reed / light green type of thing??
Mike
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Karl,
Thanks that's a start at least, I have some evolution figures in a cold weather type uniform, which I think is some sort of a reed / light green type of thing??
Mike

The majority of Evolution's Modern Russian figs are wearing winter 'Afghanka' pattern uniforms- the easy way to spot them is the big fur collars. That same light tan color was used on the temperate uniform which is basically the same thing but much thinner and with a regular shirt style collar instead of a big fur one. The exception in Evolution's range is their 'special troops' which wear a few different things and their most modern 'Little Green Men' (the Russian troops seen in Crimea) figures.

Lots of different patterns were common in both the First and Second Chechen wars. Here's a random image from the net showing three different camo patterns in a group of soldiers.

The guy on the left with the sunglasses is wearing a KLMK camo pattern uniform, commonly used by VDV. The soldier beside him appears to be wearing a Flora pattern uniform which was quite common. The rest of the soldiers look to be wearing the temperate Afghanka style uniform.

If you know the figures you want to use then I'm sure I could help you determine which uniform it is.

Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 03:01 PM UTC
Hi Karl,
The figure sets I have are as follows
Russian soliders, Fallen & Wounded (Chechyna)
Kit # em -35117
And
Crew of the T-72 Tank
Kit # em-35115
Both lots are in cold / wet weather jackets etc
Mike
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 09:00 PM UTC
Hi Mike- I actually have set 35117 myself- its excellent. As you already spotted they are wearing the winter Afghanka pattern uniforms. The most common form of this is in the light tan color you see painted on the box art.

However, the same pattern/design of jacket and trousers were also manufactured in several other camouflage patterns. Butan was a common enough pattern in this style of jacket:

Next was TTSKO.

TTSKO and Flora camo look quite similar but Flora is usually more horizontal in terms of the camouflage pattern. Below is the Flora pattern.

There is some discrepancy as to what dates Flora was issued- some say 1998 or later (which would be after the First Chechen war) yet some photos seem to contradict this- but then again putting a date to a photo is sometimes just as tricky! In any case these would be the most common patterns of the Afghanka style uniform- for the Russian Army at least. (The MVD, including OMON, also used the Afghanka style for their camouflage uniforms.)

I hope this helps you out Mike !
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 08:20 AM UTC
Hi Karl,
Thanks very much for that info & the pics!! Now I at least have an idea of where & how to start, which was a lot more than I knew two days ago!!
Mike
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Karl,
Thanks very much for that info & the pics!! Now I at least have an idea of where & how to start, which was a lot more than I knew two days ago!!
Mike

No problem Mike, glad I could be of some help.
 _GOTOTOP