_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Color modulation
69mudbone
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2016 - 09:50 PM UTC
I have returned to armor after a long hiatus, checking on the many web sites/blogs I see color modulation / pigment. Forgive me I am old school, but black primer? What gives a new fad? It seems counter intuitive. Any help would be nice. Thanks
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2016 - 11:31 PM UTC
Hi

If you are as you say "old school" then just do it the way you know. Nobody is forcing anybody to model in a particular way....your model, your money, your time. Do it as you've always done and enjoy.

Alan
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 12:12 AM UTC
Alan wraps it up nicely.
Personally,black primer has made no difference in the end,but some guys make it work very well for them.

Tom
69mudbone
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 12:28 AM UTC
Thanks Guys, I have these kits in my closet for years and now that I am retired, I going to try out all these things I see on the web and check out the options they have for you now
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 01:07 AM UTC
If you really want info,try Google,there should be lots of articles and videos.I say this,because I don't think I can explain it as clearly myself.
baldwin8
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you really want info,try Google,there should be lots of articles and videos.I say this,because I don't think I can explain it as clearly myself.

Because he is an old gezzer like myself who just likes some of that old fashion friendly conversation that is so plentiful these days on the web.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 02:54 AM UTC
I say give things a try. You could pick up some real cheapie kits to experiment on, or even a braille kit. Just somethings to try out stuff on ....

As for modulation, I use it in a limited way, have done from way before it was popular and had a special name. It's just a fancy name for highlighting the base colour on the top faces of the vehicle to give a forced shading effect.

Basically a lot of todays techniques using modulation take it to extremes by using a black primer, highlighting the tops with white and then building up the main colours in thin layers. That's why a lot of paint sets designed for modulation get people complaining about them being too thin and not covering, they don't understand the thought process behind them.

The effect can be a little too extreme for my taste, often resulting in a lime or yellow green look to the upper surfaces which to me doesn't look anything like a Sherman or Soviet/Russian 4BO for example.

It is a very arty look however and very striking. Very popular with show judges and modelling magazines. It's highly unusual now-days for 'award" winning models not to be heavily modulated.

Anyway, give it and some of the other techniques a try, they all have some value and run with the things you like ....

cheers
Brent
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 03:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Because he is an old gezzer like myself who just likes some of that old fashion friendly conversation that is so plentiful these days on the web.

Come on,I'm not that old
69mudbone
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 08:12 AM UTC
I have a couple of Tamaya old half track kits,plus build T-34 that's painted, putting together diorama ideas.What I have seen so far this is a cool place I will be spending sometime with
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 10:39 AM UTC
Hi 69mudbone,

Welcome back to modeling!

No need to go to the other sites, there are many "how-to" features here at KitMaker, many by the same big names found on other sites.

F'instance, Adam Wilder wrote a short feature about modulation back in 2008:
Colour Modulation
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 11:01 AM UTC
Here's a thread by the AMMO manager in the USA that starts out with a modulated Panther: Color Modulation + Weathering

Lots of good resources here at Armorama/KitMaker, as well as other sites.

Oh, and here is Wilder's feature about Effective Pigments

The previous posters have given you excellent counsel. Modulation and pigments are "arty" and make models interesting, although not necessarily realistic. All a matter of taste. I use some filters and pigments and really like how they work, yet my aesthetic tastes run towards the "old school" methods.

So try these ideas and see if you like them, yet don't let the modeling mafia tell you that you must use them if you don't like it.

JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The effect can be a little too extreme for my taste, often resulting in a lime or yellow green look to the upper surfaces which to me doesn't look anything like a Sherman or Soviet/Russian 4BO for example.

Concur!
69mudbone
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2016 - 09:37 PM UTC
Everyone

Thanks, I really am going to enjoy my retirement, plenty of free time. I still will have the "LIST" however being married as long as I have, I know how to navigate those Shoals.
 _GOTOTOP