_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya/Italeri M24 Chaffee accurate size?
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 03:16 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I've always liked these little tanks but haven't had the courage to tackle the Bronco one. I know this kit is originally a very old Italeri kit but when I saw it at the hobby shop today I couldn't resist it (its the damn box art, they make them irresistible damn them).

I had a look inside and it looks ok to me. The detail seems crisp and it looks like a nice easy build. I'm just amazed at how small the thing is (1/35). I compared the upper hull to an M8 Greyhound and they're about the same size.

So my question is were they really that small or could the kit have incorrect dimensions? Would anyone know?

Thanks guys.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 04:03 PM UTC
AFAIK the 1:1 M24 is 556 cm long (and the M8 is 500 cm long). Just measure the kit hull and multiply the result by 35

H.P.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 04:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

I've always liked these little tanks but haven't had the courage to tackle the Bronco one. I know this kit is originally a very old Italeri kit but when I saw it at the hobby shop today I couldn't resist it (its the damn box art, they make them irresistible damn them).

I had a look inside and it looks ok to me. The detail seems crisp and it looks like a nice easy build. I'm just amazed at how small the thing is (1/35). I compared the upper hull to an M8 Greyhound and they're about the same size.

So my question is were they really that small or could the kit have incorrect dimensions? Would anyone know?

Thanks guys.

Have you actually tried to build the "ITALERI M24-in-a-TAMIYA Box", yet? The old ITALERI M24 suffers from a very weak Suspension, which is inclined to break during assembly, FRUSTRATING top Hull-to-bottom Hull fit issues, and a lot of shape and accuracy issues. There is A LOT of clean-up required because of molding issues, as well. I know, because about 17 years ago, I dealt with all of that nonsense.

A few years later, when Rob Irvine owned and operated FORMATIONS, he came out with a "VERY Limited" Complete Full Resin Update/Conversion kit for the ITALERI M24- It is no longer in production, and EXCEEDINGLY DIFFICULT to find any of them anywhere...

This conversion came out WAAAAY before the EXCELLENT BRONCO and AFV CLUB M24 kits came on to the scene. Well, I went out (with misgivings) and bought another ITALERI M24 on-the-cheap, and the FORMATIONS M24 Update/Conversion kit, which set me back about $150.00, plus a full set of FRIUL Metal Tracks, which also contained a Sprockets & Rear Idlers Conversion, plus a LIONROAR M24 Full PE set, in order to make a good model of this tank, which I always had a hankering to do. I needn't have worried, because the FORMATIONS M24 Update/Conversion kit entirely DOES do the REAL M24 justice- It was (and still is) an EXCELLENT investment!!!

The only part that I needed to use from the old ITALERI M24 dinosaur was THE LOWER HULL!!! The FORMATIONS M24 Update/Conversion kit REALLY WAS THAT COMPLETE! Even the "On The Vehicle Tools (OTV) were included in this update/Conversion!

I also added a resin Full Interior, and a resin Full Engine Compartment with the Twin Cadillac Engines, both from VERLINDEN. I scratch-built any details that were omitted in these two updates. (I also bought the BRONCO kit, because it had come out by then, so I bought TWO sets of each of the VERLINDEN Updates).

I added my own Crew Members, gleaned from a combination of DRAGON, VERLINDEN, and now-defunct WARRIORS figure sets. I've been building and painting figures for about 45 years now, so I've become pretty proficient in those endeavors- I used to build and sell all kinds of modelling efforts semi-professionally on special commissions; now I build simply for my own pleasure.

I also used a combination of Stowage sets from different aftermarket suppliers, i.e BLAST, VERLINDEN, BLACK DOG, etc...

I was, and still am, VERY satisfied with the results of this long but very pleasing effort! I have yet to start my BRONCO M24- Needless to say, this one will get all the resin and PE updates available, PLUS another set of FRIUL TRACKS. I haven't bought the AFV CLUB US M24 yet, but that's on the horizon...

Whether TAMIYA bothered to correct all the annoying traits of the old ITALERI M24 kit is open to question. I simply don't know. "Irresistible BOX ART" NEVER sold me on ANYTHING! CAVEAT EMPTOR- "Let the Buyer Beware"...

I will ALWAYS wait for reviews and "build" articles before I buy ANY kit, which saves me A LOT of money and disappointments...

GOOD LUCK with your build!!!
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 04:01 AM UTC
Durn it, I really wish I hadn't bought it now. It was a full price kit as well.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to do my best and see how it goes.

Thanks guys.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:17 AM UTC
Zaloga built the old Italeri kit a few years ago (before Bronco and AFV Club) and I thought he ended up with a decent result after various corrections and detailing. It was the subject of a Mil Mod article which illustrated all the changes he made. The kit is not beyond redemption, although I remember that he did replace all the roadwheels (M41 parts) and engine deck grilles.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 06:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Durn it, I really wish I hadn't bought it now. It was a full price kit as well.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to do my best and see how it goes.

Thanks guys.

By NO means should you give up hope! It'll be interesting to see you post your progress with it!

Improving the ITALERI/TAMIYA M24 is NOT an impossible endeavor! You'd be surprised at how many ways there are that you can improve the ITALERI kit- And if TAMIYA is using THEIR OWN plastic in this re-box, fully HALF of any potential fit and/or breakage problems will have been eliminated. I used an old, old, old original ITALERI M24 in my first M24 build, and the ITALERI plastic was inconsistent- too soft in some areas, and too brittle in the Suspension parts- That's why they broke so easily! As I said before, maybe the ITALERI/TAMIYA re-boxing is using TAMIYA plastic. So go ahead and see how it goes!
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 05:13 AM UTC
It's still on the sprues but the AFV Club NM-116 kit looks a lot nicer than the old Italeri Chaffee kit I was thinking of converting.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 05:28 PM UTC
[quote]It's still on the sprues but the AFV Club NM-116 kit looks a lot nicer than the old Italeri Chaffee kit I was thinking of converting.[/quot

I agree- But let's not forget that the old ITALERI M24 goes back to the 1980s, whereas the BRONCO AND AFV CLUB M24s have only come upon thescene in the last 5 years, or so...
 _GOTOTOP