_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Weathering Panther
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 08:29 AM UTC
Hello All,

I just finished all the painting on my Panther tank by applying a flat coat. Up until now I have painted the camo, added a filter of yellow ochre, complete pin washes in burnt umber and then applied the flat coat.

I have never weathered an AFV before and I am looking for tips on how to:

1) Blend the camo/ make the tank look dusty
2) Weather the road wheels
3) Weather the tracks
4) And generally weather the rest of the vehicle

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 04:54 PM UTC
Wow,I would love to offer specific advice,but that is such a broad subject to cover in a few sentences,there are so many diffrent schools of weathering and techniques,so many weathering products out there now,acrylic,enamels,oils,washes,pigments to name a few.

I would weather the tracks and roadwheels with washes and pigments.perhaps drybrushing the metal highlights.
A overall wash would impart grime or dust
a pinwash would bring out raised details or impart dust ti the crevices.

Try a subject search in the forum,there have been many topics on this,check out build blogs and see how other modelers have handled it,check out videos on youtube,check out some magazines and publications for an over view of the subject.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 07:44 PM UTC
I have read up on oil dot filters. I just have one questions pertaining to these, I have applied a coat of testors dull coat lacquer from a rattle can. Can I apply an oil dot filter over this, or will the mineral spirits react poorly with the dull coat?
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 08:12 PM UTC
Honestly I can only see a very minimal pin wash on the road wheels. Most modern weathering techniques are part of the painting process, not something you do to the model after it is painted and decals are applied. With that said, you certainly can do a lot to this at this point. I would skip over dot filters for now and work towards a more visible pin wash, or better yet work some dark brown oil paint straight from the tube into the recesses where you would put a pin wash, then let it set for 10-20 minutes, then feather this out onto you panels.

See below I used a very dark brown oil paint and did as I described above:

Once you have that done let it dry over night then we can take the next step.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 08:19 PM UTC
In terms of the pin wash, are we talking just more on the road wheels or more so overall? there aren't many panel lines on this model due to the zimmerit.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In terms of the pin wash, are we talking just more on the road wheels or more so overall? there aren't many panel lines on this model due to the zimmerit.

Any place that meets at less than 180 angle needs an artificial shadow - that is what a pin wash does. I said not to use a pin wash but to really force the shadows with brown oil paint.
slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 10:26 PM UTC
This is a huge subject and covered in many books. As someone who is too heavy handed with weathering I would recommend watching some of the many You Tube 'how too' vids. There is no substitute though for practice. If you have one, use an old kit you would not even show your mother to practice on. One caveat though I found to my costs is that acrylic washes don't work when applied over oil streaks. Talk about a basic mistake!!. Good luck....
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a huge subject and covered in many books. As someone who is too heavy handed with weathering I would recommend watching some of the many You Tube 'how too' vids. There is no substitute though for practice. If you have one, use an old kit you would not even show your mother to practice on. One caveat though I found to my costs is that acrylic washes don't work when applied over oil streaks. Talk about a basic mistake!!. Good luck....

If you can spare the change I would recommend Mike Rinaldi's set of books. Big clear photos in a SBS format.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If you can spare the change I would recommend Mike Rinaldi's set of books. Big clear photos in a SBS format.

Yeah, I second that suggestion.
 _GOTOTOP