_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Question about road wheel masks
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 07:21 PM UTC
Has anyone used the Alliance Models masks (I'm interested in the German sets) for road wheels, and how they compare to the Quickwheel sets?

Thanks in advance.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 10:34 PM UTC
When I enquired, I was laughed at.
flippen_waffles
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 11:41 PM UTC
I bought one of these and have never looked back. Not to mention youll be able to use it on a lot more vehicles than the quick wheel masks.

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 12:30 AM UTC
Here is a quick link:

Circle Template Tutorial
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:15 AM UTC
That's fine and all, but it does not in any way answer my question, which was how the two products compare.

BTW, Alliance makes plenty of other masks beyond road wheels, such as SS/Wehrmacht tactical markings. Does Hobby Lobby have a circle template for those, too?

I have a circle template. I also have a s#!t ton of German tanks. I don't want to paint the wheels one at a time if I don't have to.
flippen_waffles
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's fine and all, but it does not in any way answer my question, which was how the two products compare.

BTW, Alliance makes plenty of other masks beyond road wheels, such as SS/Wehrmacht tactical markings. Does Hobby Lobby have a circle template for those, too?

I have a circle template. I also have a s#!t ton of German tanks. I don't want to paint the wheels one at a time if I don't have to.

We were only trying to help. It would seem more economical to buy a template that has more circle diameters for $6 than buying a template that does one diameter for $12. However, as you stated having a large selection of German tanks with their many road wheels, it would seem more economical time-wise to buy the quickwheel mask. And I wouldn't know if Hobby Lobby sells insignia masks in addition to circle templates. I hope someone is able to answer your original question for you.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 11:20 AM UTC
Have you considered using a circle cutter (like dividers but with a blade - such as the Olfa) and cutting them out from masking film? It will do anything from around 10mm diameter up to larger than any 1/35 tank wheel in infinite increments.

No, I've not bought any custom wheel masks either as I have an aversion to buying things that I could make myself without much work, although my build rate is so slow that the time is not a big deal to me.
 _GOTOTOP