_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Dragon: A New German SPG is Almost Here
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 02:18 AM UTC

Dragon has announced that their kit of a German SPG is ready for imminent release, the 1/35 5cm PaK 38 auf Pz.Kpfw.II. They've released some additional pictures of the various details.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 03:15 AM UTC
I will wait until it appears cheap on ebay......
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will wait until it appears cheap on ebay......

Indeed, that is the way to go.
AOS
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 01:56 PM UTC
I agree. actually too much money for their kits. additionally I would have to buy indy tracks and a metal barrel (weren't these included in former times ??). I ever wanted to build this gun.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 02:47 AM UTC
0I've always wanted to build this variant. I have a reference file started all ready, w/ pics and data, so this will work out GREAT. Good Timing
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:29 AM UTC
Not much of a data file! Apparently there were only no more than 5 built as field shop conversions.
digger303
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:37 AM UTC
slug955
ebay is not that cheap from shop sources
RonV
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:48 AM UTC
FWIW, I posted the following in an earlier thread (May 15) on this subject.

In my file compiled to produce the box illustration for this kit, I found a dozen photos of this vehicle taken by combat photographer Falk in 1943. The photos are described as "Russland".
Most shots deal with the fitting of the gun while several show the left side as it was completing conversion (welds are unfinished, etc.) It appears to have been a Panzer IIC that it was based on. In the background are several Marder II giving the image the appearance of a workshop.

Two other unattributed photos show such a completed vehicle in service. There are enough differences between these two photos to suggest that more than one were produced but it could be just as easily explained that these were further upgrades of the much photographed vehicle.

One source mentions that this vehicle served with 23rd Panzer Division in the fall of 1943. This would put them near the Dneipre river in southern Ukraine. The 23rd had 128 Panzerjager unit with 14 75mm self-propelled vehicles, possibly Marder II based on Panzer II chassis.

FWIW
Ron Volstad
slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 04:31 AM UTC
Ian, I tend not to buy from shops on ebay, though the nice people at Paypal recently gave me a £15 voucher which I put to good use! Thankfully there are folks out there with more money than sense and buy new stuff and sell off at a loss when buyers remorse strikes. Lets raise a glass to them.....
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 07:06 AM UTC
They can do this paper panzer but couldn't do a respectable Wespe?
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They can do this paper panzer but couldn't do a respectable Wespe?

True, except this is not a paper panzer being as at least one was built. These days Dragon seems more interested in repops and kits of one-offs over completely new vehicles that saw real numbers. Maybe they feel the Tamiya kit is good enough.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 02:27 PM UTC
Andreas and Tat, I fully agree with you. I've got a lot of Dragon vehicles in my stash and not one of them is from a shop. All of them are off ebay for less than half price. Their kits are just too expensive these days for what they are. Yes, they're quite nicely detailed kits but I've had fit issues, crap instructions with all of them etc which takes the fun out of a build for me and with that price tag I just think "I'll wait until I can get it cheap". If they made their kits with the ease of assembly, fit etc of Tamiya but with their current level of detail I may not mind paying the extra but as it stands ebay everytime.

As Shell says Dragon seem to be more interested in repops and vehicles that were prototypes/one offs that never reached a battlefield. From a personal perspective I always think of displaying them in dios, big or small, so a one off that never left a testing ground is of no use to me, pretty much the same as the paper panzers. I'd sooner see nice versions of vehicles that were used in combat in numbers and there are literally 1000's of vehicles to choose from for the Germans. Dragon appears to be one company that doesn't listen to what modellers have to say otherwise they'd have sorted out their instructions and release kits that modellers actually want to build rather than some obscure vehicle that not that many people are aware of or was that crap it never entered service
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 02:30 PM UTC
To be honest the best bit for me of their kits is Ron's artwork. I'd rather pay £50 for a decent sized print of his boxart than for the AFV in the box
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 333 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:03 PM UTC
Can someone tell me where can I buy the 5 cm metallic ammo boxes included in this kit?

Thanks in advance,
Angel
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd sooner see nice versions of vehicles that were used in combat in numbers and there are literally 1000's of vehicles to choose from for the Germans.

No, there aren't. The versions of AFVs "used in combat in numbers" by the Germans is probably less than 50. Add in softskins and the total is still probably much less than 100.

KL
slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:59 PM UTC
What annoys me most about Dragon is that most producers charge less for older kits. Dragons just get more expensive, even those of questionable quality. Take for example their Leopold and Karl. Both are inferior to the Trumpeter kits (see PMMS) but a good 25% more expensive. Madness.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 05:02 PM UTC
Given Dragon's less than stellar reputation over the years, this can be a kit that is purchased way later (EBay) than sooner since I've got a stash that still counts over 150 kits ( and donated over 150 kits to military charities over the last 6 months). Besides, I haven't gotten out of my M47 building binge yet!
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As Shell says Dragon seem to be more interested in repops and vehicles that were prototypes/one offs that never reached a battlefield. From a personal perspective I always think of displaying them in dios, big or small, so a one off that never left a testing ground is of no use to me, pretty much the same as the paper panzers. I'd sooner see nice versions of vehicles that were used in combat in numbers and there are literally 1000's of vehicles to choose from for the Germans. Dragon appears to be one company that doesn't listen to what modellers have to say otherwise they'd have sorted out their instructions and release kits that modellers actually want to build rather than some obscure vehicle that not that many people are aware of or was that crap it never entered service

I don't remember the last time when dragon produced a totally new AFV kit that was in most ways the equal of their own kits from around 2005-2008 in terms of quality and value. They are definitely a company run by bean counters interested only in milking past investment and residual brand equity.

KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[Dragon is] definitely a company run by bean counters interested only in milking past investment and residual brand equity.

Can you list the model companies that aren't interested in maximizing their income by using their existing capital and assets?

KL
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:14 AM UTC
WARNING - Some posts in this thread have broken one of the rules for posting in this forum, as seen here:

"Before anyone can post that a company is making too much profit or that the cost of their products isn't "justified", they must first post certified reports of the company's annual debt service payments and capital depreciation charges."

Thank you,
KL
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 04:17 PM UTC
Kurt, I may have exaggerated the figure as 1000's but it is most definitely in the hundreds. When you consider that there were 26 different versions of the Sdkfz 251 alone in service in different roles it's obvious that your figure of less than 100 is well out if we're being pedantic about numbers. Dragon have produced a fair few of these but there are still several versions like the 251/8 ambulance which haven't been produced. Once you take into consideration softskins, artillery pieces, captured vehicles that were modified by the Germans for use on the battlefield there are plenty of new subjects that they could do but don't.

As for sniping about us complaining about Dragon's prices we are entitled to comment on that as we live in democracies and as this is an online community forum it is a topic of discussion. We happen to think that they are overpriced compared to other manufacturers producing kits of equal quality. Naturally we have a choice whether we choose to pay full price for them or not which we have said we avoid paying full price as in OUR opinion they are overpriced for what they are. It's an opinion which we are entitled to express. You are not an admin or a moderator so are not in a position to tell us what we can or cannot say. You are the same as us position wise. If we think something is expensive who are you to tell us it's not? We all have different incomes and monetary values are subjective according to how much money one person earns. Your word is not gospel despite what you apparently think.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 04:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Kurt, I may have exaggerated the figure as 1000's but it is most definitely in the hundreds. When you consider that there were 26 different versions of the Sdkfz 251 alone in service in different roles it's obvious that your figure of less than 100 is well out if we're being pedantic about numbers. Dragon have produced a fair few of these but there are still several versions like the 251/8 ambulance which haven't been produced. Once you take into consideration softskins, artillery pieces, captured vehicles that were modified by the Germans for use on the battlefield there are plenty of new subjects that they could do but don't.

As for sniping about us complaining about Dragon's prices we are entitled to comment on that as we live in democracies and as this is an online community forum it is a topic of discussion. We happen to think that they are overpriced compared to other manufacturers producing kits of equal quality. Naturally we have a choice whether we choose to pay full price for them or not which we have said we avoid paying full price as in OUR opinion they are overpriced for what they are. It's an opinion which we are entitled to express. You are not an admin or a moderator so are not in a position to tell us what we can or cannot say. You are the same as us position wise. If we think something is expensive who are you to tell us it's not? We all have different incomes and monetary values are subjective according to how much money one person earns. Your word is not gospel despite what you apparently think.

Here, Here!
slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 04:42 PM UTC
Nothing wrong with price comparison. There are web sites out there making a nice living on it. IF money is no object then you are at full liberty to pay over the odds, the rest of us are more frugal...
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 07:37 PM UTC
Talk about over-pricing: Dragon's 1/350 Scharnhorst is roughly $160 USD; one 1/35 Tiger I is about $80 - $90 USD. By material volume, Scharnhorst = roughly 4 - 5 Tiger kits. So why doesn't Scharnhorst cost $325? Or, more to the point, why doesn't Tiger kits cost $35 - $40? It will be interesting to see how much Dragon is going to charge for their upcoming 1/35 AT-AT (Starwars vehicle) as it will require roughly 25 times the plastic of a Tiger kit.
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 09:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

[Dragon is] definitely a company run by bean counters interested only in milking past investment and residual brand equity.

Can you list the model companies that aren't interested in maximizing their income by using their existing capital and assets?

KL

Some companies, tamiya for example, seem to also exhibit interest in investing in high quality new tooling on an ongoing basis, so as to ensure a continuous supply of golden eggs as oppose to dragon's efforts to kill the goose and get at only the eggs currently in the goose.
 _GOTOTOP