_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
How do you do oil-impregnated paint?
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 01:22 PM UTC
Hi everyone,
One of the things I've noticed on some builds is the oil-impregnated look of paint on the edges of oil stains and grease spatter. It's a look I really like and I think it adds a great dimension and proof-of-use and maintenance.

Does anyone out there have a method for doing it, or a link to Someplace that does?

Thanks,

Gaz
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 04:46 PM UTC
Just use carefully applied washes. Black, brown, blue, grey, tan mixed to taste for fuel/oil/grime stains. Apply as thin or as thick and as many layers as the effect you want to achieve. You can streak, mottle or spatter the effect as well, use a brush or sponge depending on the effect again. For fresh spills a touch of gloss. There's no real secret formula to be honest. One tip I will pass on is that Vallejo Smoke makes an excellent grimy/oily wash that can be mixed with other colours to change the tint.

You can see what I did with an AEC engine and exhaust using these techniques.

http://www.track-link.com/blogs/27119/34

To leave a tidemark, thin the wash a bit more than usual apply and let it dry for a moment, then with a clean brush, remove the moisture in the centre of the puddle only. You can get tidemarks happening by accident as well when you apply too much at once. The edges dry quicker and results in a ring, annoying when you don't want that effect.

As always, experiment on scrap first and have fun.

Kimmo
hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 04:46 PM UTC
I give you some hints. In many cases modelers usually apply oil satin effect material directly to the place where they want express their effect. Or they mix grease and satin effect with enamel thinner or white spirit and humbrol But in my case I like to add several pigments in that mixture. For example if you want to make very viscous grease then you just add black pigment to mixture of mig engine oil effect, thinner and humbrol gloss varnish so on.

Cheers Byeol
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 04:23 AM UTC
Guys,
Thank tou very much for your replies.

Gaz
 _GOTOTOP