_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman with stored .50
SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 03:18 PM UTC
Hello, I'm currently building the Israeli M1 using Tamiya's kit from 2011. I found the exact tank I want to build and it is only shown with the .50 cal stored in the back part of the turret covered with some sort of tarp. Now, since the pictures I have are quite blurry I was wondering if anyone had some clear pictures of that setup? Either with or without the tarp covering it. I just want to see how to attach the machine gun to the mount.

All help is kindly appreciated.

Kind regards, Sven.
Removed by original poster on 06/01/16 - 11:47:08 (GMT).
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 05:20 PM UTC
A couple of photos in Laughlin & Stansell's book show the pintle was inserted in the circular socket and the receiver was facing to the left (i.e. trigger to commander's side). Barrel was removed and could be stowed between the horizontal brackets above it. The fitted canvas cover (zipped, as I recall) was often used to protect it from the elements.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 05:36 PM UTC
Here's a top view showing the stored MG :

H.P.
SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 08:12 PM UTC
Thanks guys, this is how the mount looks on my model, how should I put it? Also if anyone has a picture with the tarp on, I would be quite grateful as that's what I'm going for.

[/quote]

Kind regards
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:04 PM UTC
The MG, with its barrel removed had its pintle emplaced to the lug attached to the blower fan and “pointing” to the left. This allowed the ammo box to jut out to the rear. The MG’s barrel collar would be held by the metal strip bracket and locked into place. The two L-shaped pieces had clips to stow the MG barrel and one spare.

This is only an image from a 1/6th scale webpage but you get the idea. This modeler has chosen to leave the MG barrel in place -- in real life, that would be a bad idea to have it protruding so much.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:36 PM UTC
After a moderate internet photo search this is the only photo I could find of the 50 cal. stowed behind the turret and covered up.

I suspect that once a Sherman was in country the 50 cal. spent very little time covered up. Perhaps it would be covered in place on top of the turret when marching or during bad weather but rarely ever seen broken down and stowed.

In this case the Sherman "FINISH EM" is shown disembarking from an LST on the coast of Sicily. (US Signal Corps Photo)

Some very good resin castings both of the top turret mounted 50 cal. covered fully in canvas, as well as the canvas covered 30 cal. bow gun are available from some of the after market suppliers.
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 22:52:26 (GMT).
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

After a moderate internet photo search this is the only photo I could find of the 50 cal. stowed behind the turret and covered up.

In this case the Sherman "FINISH EM" is shown disembarking from an LST on the coast of Sicily. (US Signal Corps Photo)

Some very good resin castings both of the top turret mounted 50 cal. covered fully in canvas, as well as the canvas covered 30 cal. bow gun are available from some of the after market suppliers.

I do not think this is a covered 50 Cal as the early turrets did not have the stowage brackets. These only tend to show up on the T23 76mm turrets and the late HB turrets on the M4A3 and M4& M4A3 105mm. I'd say this is just wrapped crew stowage using the tie down points and straps suppled in that postion.

Al
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 04:09 PM UTC
Sven , here's some 50's tarped up , stowed and mounted .

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 05:43 PM UTC
Absolutely GREAT photos Cheyenne!
highpoint
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 07:23 PM UTC
Hey Sven,
If you can get your hands on Steve Zaloga's Modeling the 76mm Sherman book, in the chapter on the M4A1 Op Cobra he does exactly as you want. In the photo Erica sent of the 1/16 Sherman, it basically is the same but the barrel is removed and clamped into brackets mounted on the horizontal L-beams. For best result, you need some pe clamps. PanzerArt makes a canvas covered 50 that is okay. I used one on an Israeli M-51 early.

Jeff
SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 03:51 AM UTC
Everyone, thank you so much. Thanks to the suggestions I managed to figure everything out.

Mr.Zaloga's book was incredibly helpful, can't believe I didn't bother checking in there beforehand.

Once I finish with my projects I will share pictures.

Kind regards.
 _GOTOTOP