_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How I Learned to Love Panda's Cougar 4x4
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 01:22 PM UTC
Or, It's All Too Much!

My first BLog in a while. I finally got the StuG base painted and the Hellcat primed. But that aside, since I recently got this Cougar 4x4 kit, and with some 3D printed stuff and a Bronco M1114 on the way (and nothing at all to do this summer), I decided to start this kit. So far it's proven to be a pretty good challenge. I'm almost finished with the suspension and undercarriage.

Correcting some errors in the instructions. Better than some Dragon kits.

Some cutting pock marks that needed to be filled and were.

Another two corrections.

Lost the other kit piece so I had to scratch a new one. I didn't hollow it out as on the actual piece but it should suffice. Hopefully it won't be easily seen.

This is where I'm at currently. I removed the kit retainer(?) bars that hold the transmission to the springs and I'm replacing them with plastic rod.

35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 10:38 PM UTC
I'm currently doing their 6x6 JERRV version and actually love it. But then I just finished their M-ATV and relatively speaking the Cougar is a breeze in comparison.
Ok,they are not easy kits but they are a lovely subject!
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 03:35 AM UTC
And to think I was considering purchasing the Panda M-ATV. I've been finding often with this kit that the engineers who designed it, decided to make the hole and the attachment plug the exact same size for some reason. On almost every single connection I've had to thin down the attachment plug or enlarge a hole. I'm finding it to be pretty ludicrous. I really like the kit and the subject but these attachments are hell. I think for the 6x6 Cougar I'm going to try my hand at the Meng kit.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think for the 6x6 Cougar I'm going to try my hand at the Meng kit.

Meng kit is some 13mm (if I remember correctly) too long - it is stretched in length because Meng designers misinterpreted the reference material (the length given with large boarding steps at the rear interpreted as the length of the hull only...).

If this major inaccuracy doesn't bother you then indeed the Meng kit is otherwise better than the Panda offering (in instructions quality, fit, molding, details etc).
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 01:41 PM UTC
Is that scale length or actual length? If it's actual length it would kinda irk me, but not too too much. But one thing I really can't stand are badly modeled and molded M2 .50's... Like in this Panda kit. I'm contemplating between getting a Live Resin M2 or a different manufacturer's. That, or getting a M240 or using the Mk19 40mm grenade launcher from the Bronco M1114 kit even though I haven't found any evidence that any Cougars have ever mounted the Mk19. And as soon as I get them, I'll start going through some of the stuff that I've been designing and trying to use it on this and the eventual M1114 build. I know I can at least use the VIC-3 FFCS on the Cougar.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 01:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is that scale length or actual length? If it's actual length it would kinda irk me, but not too too much.

The kit is too long by that much. For me it is very noticeable - particularly way too long engine hood (itself it is some 6-7mm too long). But others don't see it as a problem.
Removed by original poster on 06/12/16 - 12:49:30 (GMT).
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 05:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Is that scale length or actual length? If it's actual length it would kinda irk me, but not too too much.

The kit is too long by that much. For me it is very noticeable - particularly way too long engine hood (itself it is some 6-7mm too long). But others don't see it as a problem.

How would you do to correct it ?
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 06:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How would you do to correct it ?

It's not really possible unless you want to scratchbuild almost the whole model. The entire vehicle, every part of it (except wheels and smaller details) is stretched lengthwise. You either accept it or don't buy this kit. I chose the the latter.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 02:21 AM UTC
Mengs too long, Pandas too narrow....still the only Cougars around. It's all a matter of personal preference
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 03:20 AM UTC
Good point.

I'm making little bits of progress every time I work on it. Very little progress has been made since the last update. I finished the suspension and I started on the front fender assembly which is still unfinished. I added the assembly that's on top of the front right fender (I'm not sure what it is) but I need to fill some holes on it.

As you can see I have the front wheels turned to one side. Should give it some semblance of liveliness. Everything is still just a dry fit. The newer assemblies aren't shown in the last picture because I took it last night.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mengs too long, Pandas too narrow....still the only Cougars around. It's all a matter of personal preference

True. For me the length issue is much more noticeable. But indeed neither is correct.
terminators
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

True. For me the length issue is much more noticeable. But indeed neither is correct.

Why there are mistakes on dimensions ? I wonder what are their informations to manufacture a model.

I hope this is not a problem to put a driver figure inside.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 10:39 PM UTC
I plan to put a driver in here. This or the Bronco M1114 kit I will start eventually. But back to this project.

I started on the interior. This kit is starting to be more hassle than assembly. I had to chop practically the top 1/4 of the firewall off so that the upper body would fit the chassis assembly. The upper seat backs don't fit unless then connecting nubs are cut off and a lot of plastic cut away. I'll be getting pictures soon.
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 01:12 PM UTC
Just a note about accuracy of Panda kit!

I finished last year a Cromwell Cougar that match nearly perfectly the blue prints found on internet (in other Armorama thread).

I compared some parts of the Panda 4x4 kit which are common with 6x6 Cougar (engine bonnet, front grill, roof...)and they are close to be the same.
I thinks that if Panda is too narrow it's just by 1 or perhaps 2 mm in my view.

I likes Panda Cougar and M-ATAV .... in the box!
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 01:28 PM UTC
I'm starting to agree with your sentiment that this kit is best in the box. I hacked away at much of the rear door frame to get it to fit. And it still didn't completely fit! Whoever engineered this kit should be retrained in tolerances and fit of parts.

I made progress on the interior and I'll get pictures up tomorrow. I just need to find out now which intercom system this vehicle uses, whether it's AN/VIC-3, LV2 or AN/VIC-5, and where the various boxes are located.
terminators
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a note about accuracy of Panda kit!

I finished last year a Cromwell Cougar that match nearly perfectly the blue prints found on internet (in other Armorama thread).

I compared some parts of the Panda 4x4 kit which are common with 6x6 Cougar (engine bonnet, front grill, roof...)and they are close to be the same.
I thinks that if Panda is too narrow it's just by 1 or perhaps 2 mm in my view.

I likes Panda Cougar and M-ATAV .... in the box!

Thanks for those informations.
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 12:21 AM UTC
Thanks for showing your build here, nice to follow it and looking forward to see more of it i have not dare to buy it after some bad review and not seen so many built... ( looks like the few that was building it here when it came out have still not build it complete...)
I hope that Meng models will come out with the 4x4 also.. and in the right size this time...
But please continue Michael with yours and we will maybe see one of them built atleast..
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 01:36 AM UTC
I've been doing a little bit more. Frankly, I'm never going to buy a Panda kit again except for very few exceptions. There's no PE bending instructions, no color charts, no color call-outs. And, like I said, almost nothing fits. On the O-GPK glass, they positioned the little injection nubs on a ridge that positions the glass on the shields. And the little plastic that's left is difficult to remove so that the glass fits. I have nothing good to say about the kit other than that it's apparently accurate.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2016 - 03:18 AM UTC
Bout time for a new update... So here it is!

I have most of the sub-assemblies finished except the rear seats and some other things. Most of the cabin is finished and the turret is as well and broken down into 3 assemblies. I think Panda gave this kit the LV2 intercom system and I'll show how I got that in the last picture.

I haven't done the exhaust yet or some parts of the interior which I'm saving for sub-assemblies. Also, I have a defective sprue! The clear windows for the gun shield weren't molded properly and are of no use.
youngtiger1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 534 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:25 PM UTC
Now this is interesting. I know Panda is part of Kitty Hawk and few guys on LSP received bad sprues in their F-86D kit. It seems the quality control is becoming a serious issue with some of their kits.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 11:01 AM UTC
Hello Mike,
any more progress or even finished photos you have. I have this kit and would like to start it, also take a look at some of your resin pieces for it.

Joe
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 11:12 AM UTC
I did make some progress. I mostly finished off the upper hull and did some more on the interior but thats about it. I put it back in the box because the kit just got too frustrating. Literally almost nothing fits well on this kit. I can't vouch for accuracy but it looks like a Cougar (and builds like a 10 ton Alaskan Grizzly Bear that's charging at you full steam). The only good assembly that I found consisted of the turret. That's the only saving grace for this kit for me.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 12:48 PM UTC
If it was easy Mike anyone could do it..... stick with it. Panda kits are challenging builds but they do such lovely subjects. And in this case the only 4x4 Cougar on the market. You can do it....
 _GOTOTOP