Hosted by Darren Baker
Resin or plaster
GB3424
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2016 - 02:20 PM UTC
Hi, I've started this topic to ask the question: Which do you prefer resin or plaster buildings?
I would be very grateful for your views on this topic. Cheers
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2016 - 05:49 PM UTC
If the choice is between resin or plaster, I'd pick plaster nearly every time. Some folks don't like the weight, but I that doesn't bother me. I think it's easier to work with, modify, & paint. And if you ever have to get rid of an old dusty dio, you cab bash it and have instant rubble for your next dio.
GB3424
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2016 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If the choice is between resin or plaster, I'd pick plaster nearly every time. Some folks don't like the weight, but I that doesn't bother me. I think it's easier to work with, modify, & paint. And if you ever have to get rid of an old dusty dio, you cab bash it and have instant rubble for your next dio.

Hi, thanks for your comment, I agree plaster is easier to paint and weathering (for buildings at least), also plaster buildings tend to be a bit cheaper than resin. Although for large structure, like bridges, resin may be better as it's stronger. thanks again for you comment.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:13 PM UTC
I was actually thinking the same about stability. I guess it really depends on size, thickness and form. If the thing is going to shipped around, resin might be more stable. Still production price and ease is a big plus for plaster.

So the answer would be... "It depends"
zorrolobo
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 1,457 posts
Armorama: 1,440 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:17 PM UTC
I agree with plaster. Much easier to work with. And the weight difference is not that much.
GB3424
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:26 PM UTC
Hi, thanks for your comments.Plaster does seem to be the most popular choice. Just thinking about it, the best thing for buildings may be plaster walls and resin roofs and extras like gutters and whatnot.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2016 - 10:41 PM UTC
resin!!!!
Plaster is okay till you break it. If you buy resin buildings , nothing beats the detail.
GB3424
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

resin!!!!
Plaster is okay till you break it. If you buy resin buildings , nothing beats the detail.

Hi, thanks for your comment, plaster does break easily, I remember I bought a vignette from Add on Parts , and it was smashed to pieces, it was fixed but it would of been better if it hadn't broke. Can one get plaster that is a hard as resin? Perhaps it's fairer to say they both have pros and con, it all depends on what one is casting. Well thanks again guys, happy modelling.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 04:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

resin!!!!

Hi, thanks for your comment, plaster does break easily, I remember I bought a vignette from Add on Parts , and it was smashed to pieces, it was fixed but it would of been better if it hadn't broke. Can one get plaster that is a hard as resin? Perhaps it's fairer to say they both have pros and con, it all depends on what one is casting. Well thanks again guys, happy modelling.

I bought plaster buildings once, and they came shattered. Never again.
GB3424
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 08:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

resin!!!!

I bought plaster buildings once, and they came shattered. Never again.

Hi Tom, sorry it's taken so long for me to respond, been busy. Plaster buildings do break easily and it's gutting when one buys something and it arrives broken.
downtowndeco
Visit this Community
Montana, United States
KitMaker: 306 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 12:22 AM UTC
We use hydrocal white, which a hard casting plaster. We also pack our kits so well I regularly ship them overseas with no problems. That being said, if you ever get a broken piece for any reason, we send replacement parts at no charge, no questions asked.

The parts are wrapped in bubble wrap, shirk wrapped & then cradled in the box.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Check out our line @ www.dioramasplus.com Place an order this weekend & I'll throw in an extra rubble set at no extra charge.

Cheers!

Randy Pepprock
Dioramas Plus
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:06 AM UTC
Hello - at one point, I was a model RR guy - and can offer full support to Randy's hydrocal buildings - I have built several of them. The details are crisp and they can be painted up to look great. Once painted, they can take a variety of washes ranging from scale mortar (between bricks, stones) to various weathering treatments. I can also say that the parts survived the post office with no problems.
Hydrocal can be a bit heavy, but the degree of which will naturally vary by how big your project is - big projects get heavy with or without hydrocal.

Cheers
Nick
GB3424
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hi, sorry I haven't replied till now, didn't realise anyone else had commented. That diorama is very nice. Hydrocal white looks interesting, and if it can survive the post office it can survive anything. I took delivery of some Alpine miniatures yesterday (great figures) and the package clearly said "fragile handle with care" and the postman just stuffed it through the letter box, and I mean stuffed it through. Anyway, I digress, Thank you all for your comments.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 10:52 PM UTC
Scrolling through the replies. I prefer plaster because of how well it takes paint/stain and how easy it is to pick holes and damage. Also easier to remove excess than resin. I like resin because it is lighter and stronger. But for buildings/walls/cliffs, I much prefer plaster. I have worked with it for decades in model railroads.

I've received plaster castings from Belgium, Russia and Spain over the past couple of years and only one piece was broken. Remember that masonry/adobe/stucco buildings - especially older ones or those in a war zone, naturally crack. Cracks can be authentic.

If you'd like to see plaster/ceramic models that arrived from overseas, here are links:

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/9497

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/9469

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/11753

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/11895

Hope this helps your decision making. :-)
Removed by original poster on 07/12/16 - 18:21:31 (GMT).
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 11:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, sorry I haven't replied till now, didn't realise anyone else had commented. That diorama is very nice. Hydrocal white looks interesting, and if it can survive the post office it can survive anything. I took delivery of some Alpine miniatures yesterday (great figures) and the package clearly said "fragile handle with care" and the postman just stuffed it through the letter box, and I mean stuffed it through. Anyway, I digress, Thank you all for your comments.

Quoted Text

...the package clearly said "fragile handle with care" and the postman just stuffed it through the letter box, and I mean stuffed it through.

The fine men and women of the USPS usually handle my mail satisfactorily, but they also have some idiots. The big box arrived a few months ago. (Note the multiple FRAGILE stickers.) The little box came from Europe.

In El Paso, one crammed a "10-pound" box into a "5-pound" mailbox, literally hammering it into the space. I literally had to cut the box apart to extract it; later I challenged the mail carrier about it - he said he wasn't there that day. (I saw him leave about a minute before I got to the mail room.) We wasn't wearing his name tag and wouldn't even tell me his name. I called local USPS and they told me that was not compliant with their rules - he should have been wearing his badge and he should have told me his name.

JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...offer full support to Randy's hydrocal buildings - I have built several of them. The details are crisp and they can be painted up to look great. Once painted, they can take a variety of washes ranging from scale mortar (between bricks, stones) to various weathering treatments.

I concur with Nick. I haven't actually built a Downtown Deco kit YET, but I've seen them and echo that they are great kits.
downtowndeco
Visit this Community
Montana, United States
KitMaker: 306 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 01:31 AM UTC
Like I said, we gladly replace damaged castings for any reason, no questions asked. That being said I can count on one hand the amount of times I've actually had to send replacement parts in the last 5 years, and we're talking about out of thousands of kits sold.

Try one, you'll like it!

Visit our site @ www.dioramasplus.com

Randy Pepprock
Dioramas Plus
GB3424
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 12:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Scrolling through the replies. I prefer plaster because of how well it takes paint/stain and how easy it is to pick holes and damage. Also easier to remove excess than resin. I like resin because it is lighter and stronger. But for buildings/walls/cliffs, I much prefer plaster. I have worked with it for decades in model railroads.

I've received plaster castings from Belgium, Russia and Spain over the past couple of years and only one piece was broken. Remember that masonry/adobe/stucco buildings - especially older ones or those in a war zone, naturally crack. Cracks can be authentic.

If you'd like to see plaster/ceramic models that arrived from overseas, here are links:

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/9497

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/9469

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/11753

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/11895

Hope this helps your decision making. :-)

Hi, I agree cracks and things in the buildings are fine they add something to the look of the model, thanks for the links, the first one look really nice.
GB3424
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...the package clearly said "fragile handle with care" and the postman just stuffed it through the letter box, and I mean stuffed it through.

The fine men and women of the USPS usually handle my mail satisfactorily, but they also have some idiots. The big box arrived a few months ago. (Note the multiple FRAGILE stickers.) The little box came from Europe.

In El Paso, one crammed a "10-pound" box into a "5-pound" mailbox, literally hammering it into the space. I literally had to cut the box apart to extract it; later I challenged the mail carrier about it - he said he wasn't there that day. (I saw him leave about a minute before I got to the mail room.) We wasn't wearing his name tag and wouldn't even tell me his name. I called local USPS and they told me that was not compliant with their rules - he should have been wearing his badge and he should have told me his name.

That's not good, hope the contents were still OK. The person who delivered it may of been brought before his boss when they got back to depot, as they always keep records of who does what route and when.
GB3424
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Like I said, we gladly replace damaged castings for any reason, no questions asked. That being said I can count on one hand the amount of times I've actually had to send replacement parts in the last 5 years, and we're talking about out of thousands of kits sold.

Try one, you'll like it!

Visit our site @ www.dioramasplus.com

Randy Pepprock
Dioramas Plus

Hi, thanks for the link, you have a lot of great stuff there, I especially like the brick factory and brick ruins.
Thank you all for your replies, I may not be here again for a while (just got some kittens so keeping an eye on them) so thanks in advance for any more input. Happy modelling.
 _GOTOTOP