_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Two "new" kits from Dragon
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 04:38 PM UTC
Here they are in orange boxes:

http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=CHC9152
http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=CHC9151

Apparently they removed early SU-100 parts and 'goodies' from the SU-85m kit and in the JS-2 kit boxart nothing shows it is an 'M' version...
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 05:31 PM UTC
These look nice, and both will contain Magic Track. Lets hope more Orange Box releases will contain Magic Track.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 06:55 PM UTC
Aren't these kits from the '90's?
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 07:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the JS-2M kit, and it is not bad.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 08:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have the JS-2M kit, and it is not bad.

The Dragon smart kit SU-85M was a really good kit, it came with 2 barrels an 85mm & 100 mm. Not sure what they leave out in the Orange kit.
Same as the Dragon T34/85 smart kit...
I never did the JS-2 but I did do the ISU-122J kit..good kit.
These might be bare bones kits but still good.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Almost all the kits in the Orange Bix line are from the 90s with a few newer parts, but for a lot less money that regular Dragon kits.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 07:43 PM UTC
But do they have the right number of rivets? I like the Magic Tracks!
AlfredCZ
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 09:25 PM UTC
Why waste money with orange box Stalin ? Tamiya is far far better and price is comparable.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 10:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why waste money with orange box Stalin ? Tamiya is far far better and price is comparable.

Tamiya kit just as old, and Magic Track makes Dragon kit much nore economical with not having to buy AM tracks to replace the Tamiya rubber crap.

DG0542
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 10:30 PM UTC
The Tamiya IS-2 has a link and length option, with a jig to get the track sag right, and is actually a newer kit than the Dragon IS-2, which came out around the turn of the century.

Anyways, why do people like magic track? I never liked them and spend money to replace them.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Tamiya IS-2 has a link and length option, with a jig to get the track sag right, and is actually a newer kit than the Dragon IS-2, which came out around the turn of the century.

Anyways, why do people like magic track? I never liked them and spend money to replace them.

Magic Tacks beat their DS option,I spend money to get MT's when I could,I love metal tracks,but who can afford $35-50 extra for each kit,so MT's will do.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Tamiya kit just as old, and Magic Track makes Dragon kit much nore economical with not having to buy AM tracks to replace the Tamiya rubber crap.

What the [auto-censored] are you talking about? The Tamiya JS-2 dates back to only 2007 and has the option of link and length or well moulded soft plastic tracks?
Removed by original poster on 06/30/16 - 17:57:52 (GMT).
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What the [auto-censored] are you talking about? The Tamiya JS-2 dates back to only 2007 and has the option of link and length or well moulded soft plastic tracks?

sorry, was thinking of the JS-3 Stalin kit, which was released in 1996.

DG0542
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 11:05 PM UTC
I understand its a personal preference. I was just wondering. As for me I've never had a good Magic Track experience, and never had a bad DS Track Experience.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Magic Tacks beat their DS option,I spend money to get MT's when I could,I love metal tracks,but who can afford $35-50 extra for each kit,so MT's will do.

Venko555
Visit this Community
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 908 posts
Armorama: 698 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 11:55 PM UTC
Plastic workable tracks, included in the kit, is the best solution-like Takom, Meng, new Miniart kits etc. My two cents
Monsoon
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 01:04 AM UTC
I've read all about the Magic Tracks/DS Tracks and rubber tracks debate. I have the solution:

Buy models of vehicles with wheels.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here they are in orange boxes:

http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=CHC9152
http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=CHC9151

Apparently they removed early SU-100 parts and 'goodies' from the SU-85m kit and in the JS-2 kit boxart nothing shows it is an 'M' version...

Some scholars used to refer to the late production Stalin with the straight glacis plate (without an opening driver's port) as an IS-2m (small "m") and the postwar upgrade with the side mounted lockers as IS-2M (capital M).

Dragon was midway through upgrading their IS-2 Stalin kit when Tamiya released theirs, so Dragon canceled the upgrade. They had corrected the lower hull depth and designed Magic Tracks for it, but skipped the retooling of the undersized road wheels. The upper hull and turret are unchanged, as far as I know. This would be the second time they've offered this partially revised kit as an Orange Box from Cyber Hobby.
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 05:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Some scholars used to refer to the late production Stalin with the straight glacis plate (without an opening driver's port) as an IS-2m (small "m") and the postwar upgrade with the side mounted lockers as IS-2M (capital M).

Dragon was midway through upgrading their IS-2 Stalin kit when Tamiya released theirs, so Dragon canceled the upgrade. They had corrected the lower hull depth and designed Magic Tracks for it, but skipped the retooling of the undersized road wheels. The upper hull and turret are unchanged, as far as I know. This would be the second time they've offered this partially revised kit as an Orange Box from Cyber Hobby.

I've never heard of such a classification. Why not call them early and standard instead?

It is clear they never finished improving their JS/JSU family, but why do they think we'll buy them now? Clearly the SU-85 is intended to bite a piece of cake from the upcoming MiniArt releases, but the JS-2 kit as is is not better than Tamiya or even Trumpeter ones...
 _GOTOTOP