_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Italeri: T-55 Iraqi Army
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 01:01 PM UTC

Italeri has released a special version of their T-55 with four decorations for the Iraqi Army.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 01:17 PM UTC
Are the sprues also 25 years old?
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 01:20 PM UTC
It has link-and-length tracks. How bad could it be?
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 02:39 PM UTC
All it is the very old Esci kit.
pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 03:17 PM UTC
If you are willing to put in a bit of work with it,you can produce something reasonable out of the base kit. There's an old Mil Mod article on Accurising/correcting the old ESCI/Italeri - in the 2nd AFV special IIRC..
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 06:52 PM UTC
Again they hijack this anniversary as an excuse to squeeze a little more profit out of their old-ass moulds
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 12:02 AM UTC
I guess there is a market for these out of date kits. People who don't know any better and those who want an inexpensive build for the sake of nostalgia must buy them. I am newly back at this and can't see myself spending any money on a kit I know to be from when I was a teen. These ESCI kits were bad back then. I put major work in and want something as a base that is already accurate but needs some fine tuning.

Regards,

Eric

P.S. I hope the above doesn't sound too snobbish. I just dislike the practice of companies reissuing another's ancient kit. Tamiya did this with Italeri's HMMWV kit before they did their own. Italeri is capable of better but they are as a previous reply says getting th most out if a mold.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 01:35 AM UTC
Hi;

Unless Italeri was given the Tamiya molds, then this kit if it is the old Esci molds is really not worth investing in ! Now Tamiya and Italeri have shared there molds in the past, so it could happen again. Now just maybe they have come up with something that we have not seen as of yet. Well lets Hope So !!!!

CHEERS; MIKE.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hi;

"HUH"--I guess I should have looked, before I Opened MY BIG MOUTH !!!!!!!!!
Well in any case, if Tamiya can still Market there T-62 then Italeri can still use the Old Esci kit !

CHEERS; MIKE.
ULIX-VM
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 834 posts
Armorama: 649 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 03:36 AM UTC
maybe is direct copy of the esci kit.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 04:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

maybe is direct copy of the esci kit.

The original Esci kit in Italeri packaging, in fact.
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 22:32:17 (GMT).
MrCompletely
Visit this Community
Saitama-ken, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 05:54 AM UTC
While it's true old kits like this would be good for new, young people entering the hobby, it also looks like a cynical revenue-raising scheme. Re-issuing old, un-updated models is fine as long as they aren't re-released at similar prices to current generation models. Italeri, Tamiya and Dragon are all guilty of this.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 07:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While it's true old kits like this would be good for new, young people entering the hobby, it also looks like a cynical revenue-raising scheme. Re-issuing old, un-updated models is fine as long as they aren't re-released at similar prices to current generation models. Italeri, Tamiya and Dragon are all guilty of this.

This is disappointing, really. I gave up on Italerei back when I was a kid because some kit's MG34 looked more like a Browning .30 cal on the box. I guess there's no reason to reconsider them.

I.P. Knightly
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 08:32 AM UTC
Is Italeri in financial difficulty? That could explain why they are trying to squeeze income blood from these polystyrene turnips.
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 11:04 AM UTC
The LHS has lost my business because they stopped stocking new Takom, Meng and others and instead have a ton of Airfix, Tamiya, and Italeri reissues. The Sgt York was a junk kit that bore almost no resemblance to the actual vehicle and came out after the program was cancelled. It is on the LHS's shelf! Tamiya can't be hurting that bad. The only reason anyone buys these kits is on impulse with no idea of the age or inaccuracy of the it.

Regards,

Eric
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 355 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 03:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The only reason anyone buys these kits is on impulse with no idea of the age or inaccuracy of the it.

This is exactly how I ended up with the Tamiya M60A1 RISE/Passive w/ ERA. I had no idea that the lower hull and running gear dated to the 1970s (and believe me, it shows its age).
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 06:30 PM UTC
I don't think this is because they are financially hurting.. I think it's because they concentrate more on aircraft kits.. I got their latest new kit, the LMV Lince, and it's a very nice kit.. so, when they want to, they can put out good AFV kits.. So, I think they just choose to concentrate on aircraft.. and they re-issue these old kits just to have some kind of a place in the AFV kit market.. I actually know people who prefer to buy these old kits because of their somewhat lower prices, even though they know about the low quality and all that... That's why I always say.. there's a buyer out there for all kinds of kits, no matter how low the quality is.. otherwise, many of these companies would have gone out of business a long time ago

Hisham
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 07:22 PM UTC
You know the Esci T-55 was state of the art when it came out. It is only by comparing it to more recent releases that it loses out ... and loses out badly. Actually the Lee near copy of the Esci kit is marginally better adding a few details the old Esci missed. But it's still an ancient kit from a different time. Should be on the shelf next to Monogram/Revell SSP program re-releases of ancient kits for nostalgia value only.
 _GOTOTOP