_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Raindrops keep falling on my plane.
OlaLundin
Visit this Community
Kalmar, Sweden
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 08:36 PM UTC
Hello!

I have recently been getting a weird effect on my airbrushing paintjobs. I am a newbie, so new issues pop up all the time. I hope you can give me some advice on this one!

As you can see on the picture, there is a strange raindrop-looking effect. I have had it happening to me several times, and I usually discover it after I have put down the model for a while to clean my airbrush or something.

What could it be? Could it be as simple as water splashing onto the model when I clean the airbrush, or is it something else?

Cheers!

Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 08:47 PM UTC
From the photo it doesn't look like something going wrong during your painting--the rest of the paint job looks fine.

I first guess would be exactly as you say: might be splashing something around when cleaning your brush. Try putting your newly painted parts somewhere out of the way and see if it continues to occur. If not, then you've probably got your answer.

Question: Are you painting with acrylics or enamels? And what are you using to clean the brush?

Halbcl2
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 09:55 PM UTC
Could it be moisture build-up in your compressor, then spitting out of the airbrush? Do you have a moisture/water trap in your setup?

I live in a dry area, so I have never seen the effects of water from the compressor, but I wonder if this could be it . . . . ?
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:55 PM UTC
this looks a lot like an issue I had a while ago after 15 years using an airbrush without issues, it was water that came out of the compressor. It can be caused by a few things (not draining your air tank frequently, spraying for long periods, spraying during very humid weather). Do you have a moisture trap on your compressor?
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 11:22 PM UTC
I am not sure under which conditions you paint. I have in the past experienced water in the air hose on the "wrong" side of the moisture trap. This water can then find its way around the paint and drip/splash from the tip of the airbrush.

When I had that happen, I simply disconnected the air hose and shook the water out of it. Then reconnected and painted again.

Hope this helps.
OlaLundin
Visit this Community
Kalmar, Sweden
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 12:42 AM UTC
Hey guys and thanks alot for your replies!

@Mark C: I am painting with acrylics and I clean the airbrush with Vallejo airbrush cleaner and water. A definite lead might be that I'm sloppy when cleaning the airbrush and splash water onto it. I will definitely check next time if it helps to put away the model during brush-cleaning.

Hahaha I had literally no idea I was supposed to drain the compressor. I have done that now and a few cl of brown water came out. I do, however, have a moisture trap on my compressor so it seems strange that it would find it's way onto the paintjob. And I also suspect that I should have noticed this blob of water as it was shooting out of the airbrush.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 03:39 AM UTC
Even with some what coming from the compressor I would have expected more splattering than I'm seeing, and since it's acrylic paints the water should evaporate without much lasting impact--unless you are getting some lubricant from the compressor in with the moisture.

The rest of the paint looks so smooth and uniform it really looks to me like something getting splashed on the model after painting.

OlaLundin
Visit this Community
Kalmar, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 02:24 PM UTC
All right!
I am very thankful for your great input!

I will put my miniatures in a box when cleaning between colors in the future and purchase an inline moisture trap.

Let's see what happens!
 _GOTOTOP