_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Canadian Armor
Discuss all types of Canadian Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Canadian AFV colours
Grrdzilla
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 06:22 AM UTC
I have been looking at every colour image of Canadian tanks that I can find, including war artists like Will Ogilvie and Alex Colville. Colvilles drawings have an amazing level of detail and being quite familiar with his work I think his colour choices are reliable.
There are two colour photos of Shermans that should be well known to Canadians and these match the well with the paintings. These are: a photo of Major-General Bert Hofmeister in front of a decidedly green Sherman (p178 of the armoured corps history) and "Clanky", Major David Currie VC's tank (p179 in the South Alberta history).
The best match to my eyes is Valejo Bronze Green with washes of light tan or beige. I have done this on several 15mm Shermans and the affect is quite pleasing.

Paul Roberts describes SCC2 as dogshit brown. On Paul's Dieppe Churchill it seems a fairly strong colour. However, a lot of contemporary images show a decidedly green colour. Now I have owned large dogs and big dog dogshit does have a certain green reflectance when the sunlight catches it just so. I have shoveled a lot of dogshit in my time and can personally verify it's greenish-ness.
Paul, was that in your mind when you described SCC2 as looking like dogshit?
Did SCC2 fade badly and could sun damage affect the hue giving the paint a green cast?

Mike Starmers book "Sicily and Italy" specify AFV colours as light mud and green. These are described as theatre colours that he has never found clear examples for. He does provide paint chips based on his best guess but they look dark to me. The ever present dust would lighten this quite a bit. Thoughts?
Gord
 _GOTOTOP