_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman"easy eight
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hi all,

I just wanted to post these photos of the new Tamiya Sherman.
I usually will take a break from a long diorama or kit build and assemble something from Tamiya for stress relief.
I have to say this kit is the best from them or any other manufacturer.
Every part went together perfectly, great instructions and a one piece canon barrel. No more two halves that need trimming and filler.
Also used their new tank crew. Same quality. Not crazy about the 4 part helmets but still went together well. My Advise is to go over the instructions first. I made the mistake on the first figure by putting the helmet top on first. Beyond that I think it is pretty much impossible to make a mistake on these kits. All is ootb. Very little added stowage at this point and no weathering.Used my own map for the commander.
Well,well worth the money.
Would love to see them do some up to date vehicles.

Tom

photo sheman 005_zpsowkcoe0v.jpg  photo sheman 004_zpskx17mk2t.jpg  photo sheman 003_zpskkxuydhg.jpg  photo sheman 002_zpsyouhkvoc.jpg  photo sheman 001_zps5iy8ynus.jpg
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 02:39 AM UTC
Tom,
Sweet looking build! The figures bring it to life despite the fact you didn't weather it. I like the periscpe glass. A nice pint of interest.

Gaz
spstreeter
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 03:32 AM UTC
Nicely done. I put this kit together as well, it was excellent. I will probably spring for another before too long.
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 01:38 AM UTC
Your figure paint job is awesome. Very very nice job. Share your techniques! ;-)
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 04:05 AM UTC
Thank you so much Clayton.That's the first compliment I've ever had on figures,but I'm really not great on them.Slowly getting better,but just OK in my opinion.Don't forget the uniform insignias are decals supplied I wish were part of all figure kits.
Not a lot of technique to mine.I try to do straps and small areas first.Flesh areas next and a little white on the eyes.I've found an artist very fine tip marker that I use for the pupils and eyebrows.Finally paint the rest of base color and then touch up.Next I spray with it with Tamiya TS-80.Finally add flat black and slightly darker base color as a wash.On the flesh I do a wash of Burnt umber oil.
Not much advise I'm afraid.
Gary,as for the periscopes,when I first got back to this hobby I got Shep Paines first dio book.It always sticks in my mind that he said that any glass will reflect the sky.
That's why most of mine I color clear blue.

Tom
edouble
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 07:55 AM UTC
As an easy eight addict and general Sherman o holic I agree what a breath of fresh air this kit is. I built the entire thing in two sittings and the only update I felt it needed was an improved .50 cal M2. It is waiting my airbrush but I tend not to paint a lot in summer in AZ. While I was monkeying with it I dug out all the M4A3E8 kits I had "in stock" and then went and bought another. The kit in my picture is an old Dragon kit that will disappear tot the back shelf soon. Behind all the new ones!

j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 05:08 PM UTC
my next build ! where did you get the figures ?
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

He said he used their US tank crew set.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

He said he used their US tank crew set.

thanks
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 01:16 AM UTC
Lou, the figures come with the kit. There is also another figure kit that Tamiya released at the same time of US tankers during a down time taking care of their tank. Also very nice. Whatever Tamiya has done with their figs they should keep it up ! (Almost) resin quality !
 _GOTOTOP