_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M10 Wolverine; Tamiya or Academy?
Fletcher445
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:45 AM UTC
I'm wanting an M10 Wolverine for a future diorama build. Looking at either the new Tamiya Mid Production or the Academy GMC Normandy Edition. The diorama I'm thinking of will require some suspension flex, so I may need to modify or replace the bogies to get the flex.

Any recommendations on which kit to get?
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:50 AM UTC
If you want accurate rocking VVS suspension, then you'll need to swap out with a Tasca/Asuka set, I'm afraid. Both Acad and Tamiya have the fixed VVS which you can "rock" to show some motion but that's inaccurate as both arms were independently sprung.

The Academy kit is probably cheaper now (try Ebay) as people are unloading them in exchange for the very accurate new Tamiya kit. Heck, I've got an Academy kit too, if you want it. lol
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 09:24 AM UTC
I've seen a pic of a beute M10. Between Tamiya and Academy, which would be more appropriate to use as a base kit?
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 09:42 AM UTC
The Tamiya kit is far better than the Academy one in accuracy so it depends what your preferences are. The Academy one is nice but the turret shape is off.
As for the Buete M10 in the other post then it depends on what sort of M10 it is. The Tamiya and the newer Academy one are both mid production. Academy also released the later DuckBill counterweight M10 which shares an innacurate turret shape.

Al
acebatau
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 09:52 AM UTC
I'll go with Tamiya
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Tamiya kit is far better than the Academy one in accuracy so it depends what your preferences are. The Academy one is nice but the turret shape is off.
As for the Buete M10 in the other post then it depends on what sort of M10 it is. The Tamiya and the newer Academy one are both mid production. Academy also released the later DuckBill counterweight M10 which shares an innacurate turret shape.

Al

Hi Al,

From the Beutepanzer site:

Both are captioned as captured in Italy 1943. Would these be mid-production M10s ?

Cheers,

Tat
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:26 PM UTC
I have built the Academy M10. Although it builds into an acceptable model (with Eduard PE) I am not satisfied with it. I'm not a big Tamiya fan, but their kit (from product pics) looks nicer. A big plus factor is the dedicated figures posed to fit in the turret in action poses.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm wanting an M10 Wolverine for a future diorama build. Looking at either the new Tamiya Mid Production or the Academy GMC Normandy Edition. The diorama I'm thinking of will require some suspension flex, so I may need to modify or replace the bogies to get the flex.

Any recommendations on which kit to get?

TAMIYA's M10 kit is the more accurate of the two. Even though AFV CLUB ALSO makes several M10 kits, I'd STILL fly with TAMIYA's kit. I'll be buying one of these myself, once prices have settled down. Ebay is your best bet.

The issues with the AFV CLUB M10s are with the shape and angle of the Rear Upper Hull Plate and the Turret Shape when seen overhead. The Suspension is also a little bit out-of-scale.

If you want the most accurate and properly-operative suspension, buy one of the ASUKA/TASCA M4 VVSS Suspension sets; they make very nice Early and Mid-production styles, more appropriate for TAMIYA's Mid-production M10 kit. BOTH the earlier, open-spoked, fabricated-welded Road Wheels, and the later "stamped" Road Wheels are appropriate for a Mid-production M10 TD, so you'd be safe with either. The GOOD news with the ASUKA/TASCA Suspension sets is that they are available WITH, or WITHOUT "Indy-link" Tracks. A special M4/M10/M36 Track Building Tool, (essentially, it's a jig) to properly align the "Indy-links" is also available. There again, ebay is your best bet.

***NOTE:

The ASUKA/TASCA "Late" M4 VVSS Suspension has the upwards-angled Upper Roller Brackets, which are more appropriate for LATE-production M10s, and M36 TDs...

Hope that you find this, and the other contributors' info in this thread helpful in bringing your M10 project to a successful conclusion!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 07:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Al

Hi Al,

Both are captioned as captured in Italy 1943. Would these be mid-production M10s ?

Cheers,

Tat

I'd say so, even though BOTH M10s show different Road Wheels...
Fletcher445
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:20 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the info. I was leaning on the Tamiya kit but I wanted some opinions on the Academy. I figured I would have to use a Tasca suspension kit, but was wondering if I could modify the kit suspension to re-position it. Thanks for the help guys.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Al

Hi Al,

Cheers,

Tat

I'd say so, even though BOTH M10s show different Road Wheels...

Thanks Dennis!

Thanks for raising this thread Chris. Good luck on our project!
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:00 AM UTC
The Beute M10 is a mid Production like the Tamiya and Academy M10's. Your subject has the spoked roadwheels which are not in the Tamiya kit. Asuka offers a Suspension set but not with thew spoked roadwheels: http://tasca-shop.ocnk.net/product/77. You can buy the original M3 type suspension which has those spoked wheeks or raid a DML sherman kit which usually has a spare set.

Al
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 01:05 PM UTC
Thanks Al. It seems additional work and $$$ to be true to the pic. At the least I can go for the Tamiya M10 as is, slap on a couple of balkenkreuz, and go by the unidentified unit and place story

I just remembered having a DML Sherman in the stash, so will have a look-see.

Cheers,

Tat
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 02:34 PM UTC
[quote]Thanks Al. It seems additional work and $$$ to be true to the pic. At the least I can go for the Tamiya M10 as is, slap on a couple of balkenkreuz, and go by the unidentified unit and place story

I just remembered having a DML Sherman in the stash, so will have a look-see.

Cheers,

Hi, Tat! You may have to do a little bit of extra work fitting the DML Sherman Road Wheels and Rear Idler Wheels onto the TAMIYA M10 Axles, but it shouldn't be anything major...

in the photo, I don't see any "Bumper Codes" on the front of the Transmission Case, so you should be OK, in that respect. It looks like there MAY be a Serial Number on the Rear Hull side, but the image is blurry, so you should be OK there, too...

Good Luck!
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:50 PM UTC
AFV Club has a nice kit. The Academy will come with an interior...get the newer version that came out.
Tamiya is a nice kit. Build them all !!!
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:51 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip Dennis. Now where is that Sherman
Fletcher445
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:16 PM UTC
I plan to get the open spoke road wheels because I think they add a bit of interest to the piece. As far as what to do on your captured one, I think that is totally up to you as there was no hard fast rule to which road wheel was used. On the net there is a photo of a M10 and M36 together. The M36 actually has the older road wheels and drive sprocket than the M10. So it appears that even when M10 chassis were converted to M36s the road wheels were not an issue.

This is one of my favorite M10 photos, I am thinking of a diorama that puts the TD in a pose like this but more of an action scene. Maybe the M10 is coming thru a hedge row up on the road to ambush a German scout tank? Pz38 maybe? (Hopefully the picture posts)

Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Beute M10 is a mid Production like the Tamiya and Academy M10's. Your subject has the spoked roadwheels which are not in the Tamiya kit. Asuka offers a Suspension set but not with thew spoked roadwheels: http://tasca-shop.ocnk.net/product/77. You can buy the original M3 type suspension which has those spoked wheeks or raid a DML sherman kit which usually has a spare set.

Al

Accurate Armour and TMD do sets of spoked road wheels in resin, so he doesn't have to buy the entire Tasca suspension set to get the correct parts.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:31 PM UTC
You might want to try an ASUKA/TASCA "Luchs" instead of the Pz.38(t), if you want to do a German "scout tank"..?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Al

Accurate Armour and TMD do sets of spoked road wheels in resin, so he doesn't have to buy the entire Tasca suspension set to get the correct parts.

The ACADEMY M10's Spoked Road Wheels would probably also work. I MAY even have a spare set, somewhere... (operative word being, "may")
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Al

Tim- I like your quote regarding "das essen" on the bottom of your page...

Another favorite, by Frank Zappa:

"Ich bin ein chrome di-nette- Du bist ein so-fa..."

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Al

Hi, Al- I beg to differ, regarding the Open-spoked Welded/Manufactured Road Wheels not being furnished by TASCA-

Please refer to:

TASCA 35-007 1:35 M4 SHERMAN "VVSS" SUSPENSION SET A (EARLY)

The boxing of this set only shows the "Stamped Steel" Road Wheels illustrated on the outside of the box, so I can understand how you made the assumption that TASCA doesn't offer the "Spoked" set.

I can unequivocally state that this set, 35-007, DOES indeed include the "Spoked" Road Wheels; I have this set right in front of me...

However, these TASCA/ASUKA Suspension sets don't come cheap, but they certainly are very nice. Also, to clarify a little bit regarding the TASCA/ASUKA Sherman Suspension sets:

#35-007 is the SET A (EARLY) SET, appropriate for Early and Mid-Production M4/M4A1-series Tanks, M10s, and other vehicles using the M4-type VVSS Suspension

#35-008 is the SET B (LATE) SET, appropriate for Late Production Vehicles...

The cheapest way to obtain these wheels is just to go ahead and find that Sherman in your stash...
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 04:59 AM UTC
Well I went thru the stash last night. As I'm no allied armor builder I only have one Sherman -- a Firefly that I planned to build as a beute. Fingers-crossed I went thru it, but alas no spare wheels! Anyways that M10 may just be built as is -- Thanks for suggestions all! Tat
 _GOTOTOP