_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
washing products for weathering
bairdlander
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 08:33 AM UTC
What is the difference between simply thinning down a brown color to simulate mud for example or thinning down black paint for grime and use of these products?Is there a really noticeable effect from these products?What products do you recommend?
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 11:53 AM UTC
Personally, apart of convenience I don't see other advantages of the ready-made products. You don't need to think about paint proportions when mixing a certain tone and they are always ready when you need them.

I have both ready-made mixes and oil paints. I'm using one or the other depending on the mood I'm in
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 12:23 PM UTC
I have a few ready made products, but see no advantage in them. I reduce ModelMaster/Testors paint for washes and it works just as well.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 03:31 PM UTC
With acrylic based washes (going with my Vallejo experience), there is a difference. The washes aren't simply watered down paint, they have slightly different properties and can be used as filters and washes, plus they can be fairly easily cleaned up with a moistened cotton bud. I'm presuming the same thing is true of "weathering effects". The advantage these products should have (apart from convenience) is that they don't act like acrylic paint, meaning you have a little more working time and they can be blended in somewhat. You can make your own mixes of course, there are plenty of mediums available to make all sorts of concoctions for all sorts of applications.

Kimmo
bairdlander
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:07 PM UTC
Thanks for the responses,building my first kit in 30 years.I do not recall these products existing back then.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the responses,building my first kit in 30 years.I do not recall these products existing back then.

It's a whole new world of modeling these days.Pick up some books or magazines,or just search the net for articles and videos for an endless variety of products,techniques,aftermarket,and accessories.You can go old school or try out some new product.Only your preferences and wallet will determine what you do.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

With acrylic based washes (going with my Vallejo experience), there is a difference. The washes aren't simply watered down paint, they have slightly different properties and can be used as filters and washes ...

I second that on the Vallejo Wash products. Come to think of it I use it more as a filter.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

With acrylic based washes (going with my Vallejo experience), there is a difference. The washes aren't simply watered down paint, they have slightly different properties and can be used as filters and washes ...

I second that on the Vallejo Wash products. Come to think of it I use it more as a filter.

I prefer the ammo products
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 12:01 PM UTC
In my opinion the main advantage is that they are ready to use. The exact shade and dilution.
You may recreate it yourself but will need some time to get the paint mix and some practice to get the right consistency. Therefore, it's very useful for beginners, or if you have limited time.
bairdlander
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 - 06:44 AM UTC
I tried to make my own watering down some Tamiya black.Did not go well,so I purchased Vallejo's desert dust,dark brown,oiled earth and Lavedo black wash(I think they made a mistake because I am sure I ordered Vallejo black wash).Works well on rivets and small parts.Can I use this as an entire filter/wash over the model?Can it be applied by airbrush?Not sure if I want to proceed as I do not want to ruin the model.I have applied a laquer coat to protect the current paint job.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 - 07:14 AM UTC
the difference between wash and filters is just filter is more thinned then a wash,i speak about the ready made
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 - 01:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I tried to make my own watering down some Tamiya black.Did not go well,so I purchased Vallejo's desert dust,dark brown,oiled earth and Lavedo black wash(I think they made a mistake because I am sure I ordered Vallejo black wash).Works well on rivets and small parts.Can I use this as an entire filter/wash over the model?Can it be applied by airbrush?Not sure if I want to proceed as I do not want to ruin the model.I have applied a laquer coat to protect the current paint job.

Yes you can use it either as wash or filter. I just thin lt with heavily with water if used as a filter. I do put on a clear coat prior to applying. Airbrushed? Haven't done that. Aren't washes and filters supposed to be done by brush?
hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 - 04:20 PM UTC
I would like to recommend you Ammo and AKI products. They could decrease your trial and error.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes you can use it either as wash or filter. I just thin lt with heavily with water if used as a filter. I do put on a clear coat prior to applying. Airbrushed? Haven't done that. Aren't washes and filters supposed to be done by brush?

I always use the brush,for the wash the AB i dont think can works maybe for filters..
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 05:48 AM UTC
For decades, way before all these new washes and filters were available, the only way to weather was mixing your own weathering pigments yourself. And not all oil paints were the same. Pactra oils wouldn't mix with regular testors or testors modelmaster paints, regular testors would mix with moldermasters and humbrol wouldn't mix with anything and artist oils were best used by themselves. Each brand reacted differently with different brands of thinners and you had to experiment with paint and thinners to find out what paint worked with what thinner. I had about a dozen different thinners for all the different paints. Acrylics, when they came out, were touted as being able to be thinned with water, but that didn't work very well as washes. I finally found that for weathering early tamiya acrylics worked best with a bit a IPA for thinning. But the main thing I learned was after laying down the basecoat was to seal it with "dullcoat" or "glosscoat" depending if I was putting down decals at that point because the thin washes and different thinner would react with the basecoat if it wasn't sealed. And of course laying down a nice even layer of dullcoat once completed. I'm going to try some of these newer pigments as I transfer from strictly oil base to mainly acrylics, as funds are available. But I'm sure I'll still use my old tried and true, familiar washes for the majority of my weathering.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 08:03 AM UTC
"regular testors would mix with moldermasters" I meant to say regular testors often would not mix with modelmasters.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 09:17 AM UTC
Here is a feature explaining how to make your own washes and filters with a variety of model paints, artist products, and common fluids.

https://archive.kitmaker.net/features/782
Braystaff
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 12:26 PM UTC
I've found Lifecolor tensocrom to be really good. They make a range of premixed colours, for stains and washes, plus they sell the tensocrom base to mix with any colour in their range. Pretty much them make up any colour of wash or filter you need
 _GOTOTOP