_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4A1 DV hull conversion to mid production
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 08:38 AM UTC
I have a couple of M4A1 DV models from Dragon, and am wondering how much work would be involved to convert one of them to a non-DV mid production style.

Is it simply a matter of building up the shape around the hull hatches and adding the correct perisopes, or are there more significant differences between the hull versions that would need to be altered?

If there is a cheap mid-production upper hull available that will fit the dragon kit ( kit #6404 I think) then that might work, but cheap is the key word in that sentence.

Thanks.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 08:58 AM UTC
You can get the non-dv hull sprue from Asuka:

http://tasca-shop.ocnk.net/product/18

It is 5.00 us, and comes with a turret shell.

What is your goal? If you want to do an M4A1 in Normandy, for example, some of the early DV hulls had applique welded over the dv flaps and later vvss put on. That might be easier than making the Askua hull fit the Dragon chassis.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:18 AM UTC
Planning on making a grizzly/skink, and recent internet research I have done indicates that all grizzly hulls were of the non-dv variety sourced from one manufacturer.
$5US is a good price if there's not too much work to make it fit, would just need find out how exorbitant postage to Aus is.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:31 AM UTC
For some reason shipping to the US went to the moon a few months back, so I choose the non registered shipping to save a lot of money. Shipping was reasonable, but one of my orders got lost, and I'm still waiting for it. I would go registered if it is not too high.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 09:41 AM UTC
Looks like shipping to Australia is actually quite reasonable so this is a viable option.

How much work would it be to fit that hull to the Dragon chassis?
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 07:28 PM UTC
I have not tried that conversion. I did put a Asuka M4A2 hull on the Dragon M4A2 after I messed up the Asuka lower hull. I did not take more than the usual fitting. The hull sponson inserts had to be worked on, as did the fit between the hull and the transmission.

Are you using the 3 piece, or the early cast nose? On the cast nose the fit can be poor, the hull too far forward and the nose low. I set up the hull in the right place and found that by cutting the top of the transmission off, lining it up with the hull and adding a spacer to fill in the gap can correct the problem. If the height of the transmission bolt strip matches, the hull can be moved a little front or back. If I remember right, the 3 piece nose fits ok, but it has been a long time since I worked on one from Dragon.

Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 04:07 AM UTC
I will have to have a good look and see what comes in the Dragon kit, but apparently I should be using the 3 piece for an accurate grizzly.

Unfortunately I will have to pack all my models away for a few weeks this weekend, and I am still working on refining the skink parts, so this is another of my slow going projects.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 08:57 AM UTC
Dragons DV comes with the 3 piece nose so you are good to go. Good luck with your projects.

I just got an e-mail from Asuka letting me know there was a delay on the missing order somehow, and it's on the way!
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 06:48 PM UTC
Finally remembering to update this...
I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a new upper hull from Asuka around $AU10 including postage. 3 weeks later and without a word or notice it turned up on my doorstep.

I did a quick test fit and apart from some very minor surgery around the transmission area it's a perfect fit to the Dragon lower.
So my Skink project is one more slow step closer to fruition.
Just need to get my finger out and finish the turret and guns for casting.
 _GOTOTOP