_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
USMC M60A1 with ERA?
denstore
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 03:18 PM UTC
Lets say that I would like to build a Desert Storm M60A1 with the ERA tiles. What would be the logical path to get a decent result?
I have the old Tamiya kit, but it doesn't cut it today. Kit bash with the AFV Club kit? Or would it be better to scratch the ERA tiles, modify the Tamiya ones, or could I get them as an aftermarket set somewhere?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 03:25 PM UTC
The Tamiya ERA is simplified crap. It doesn't have all the structure and attachment points of the real thing. There was a Verlinden set that had all the points and blocks, but in plastic the best was Academy. They even included the alternative inert blocks used in training.

You know AFV-club is going to do it eventually, I'd say wait to see their effort or if there'll be a new After market bit for the AFV-club.

The bricks are easy to scratch, all the supports and points of contact that held them in place would be tiresome and a pain.
denstore
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 03:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Tamiya ERA is simplified crap. It doesn't have all the structure and attachment points of the real thing. There was a Verlinden set that had all the points and blocks, but in plastic the best was Academy. They even included the alternative inert blocks used in training.

You know AFV-club is going to do it eventually, I'd say wait to see their effort or if there'll be a new After market bit for the AFV-club.

The bricks are easy to scratch, all the supports and points of contact that held them in place would be tiresome and a pain.

Thanks!
How was the quality of the Verlinden set? I have had both bad and good experiences with his resin stuff.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 09:53 AM UTC
Toadman has photo's of the M60A1's with the mounting brackets but without the tiles if that is helpful.
denstore
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Toadman has photo's of the M60A1's with the mounting brackets but without the tiles if that is helpful.

Thanks, a very useful collection of photos.

This project is getting more complex than I had plans for, initially. 😀
Any decals out there for one of these tanks? Preferably one with lots of stowage and interesting/colourful markings.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 04:14 AM UTC
Googling USMC M60A1 will show some good pictures of the tanks. They were a plain sand with the usual markings. The added on stowage was normal USMC bags. They tended to be rather plain looking.

On a side note, my brother in law served in the Guard with an Ex-Marine M60A1 tanker that was in the gulf war. While on the road a call came over the radio from an Army M1 unit requesting permission to pass. The CO said ok, and a moment later a group of M1's passed them, driving in the desert faster than the M60A1 could drive on the road.

I wanted to get more details, but my brother in law retired.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 05:14 AM UTC
Tamiya makes the decals for the Marines M60A1 in Desert Storm and you could order them from Tamiya. They have "The American Express" (my old tank) and another one, Titian I believe.
Removed by original poster on 03/22/18 - 20:20:41 (GMT).
MarineTanker91
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 01:21 AM UTC
Top this is Corporal Miles Carter from Charlie company 8th tanks. We have a Facebook page for the old unit and some of the guys have been asking about you. We tried to find you for our reunion 4 years ago but were unable to locate you. On Facebook look up the group named: USMC - Charlie Company, 8th Tank Battalion. Some of the guys are planning another reunion soon, hope you can join us. Semper Fi
Black3Actual
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 01:35 AM UTC
Top, I've been looking for you for a while. If you wouldn't mind, drop me an email, please. [email protected].

Joe Bakanovic
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 07:28 AM UTC
Howdy Magnus, the Jarhead M60A1s with ERA operating during Desert Shield/Desert Storm could be found in many colors. During Operation Desert Shield in Saudi Arabia, unloading fresh off the Pre-position ships there could be seen vanilla CARC Sand, tri-color CARC NATOflage and four color Gray Desert MERDC hogs. Tanks that floated in later from the US and Okinawa were a mix of Summer Verdant and Tropic MERDC. All tanks would at some point have Service green colored ERA tiles applied. Before crossing into Kuwait for the ground phase of Operation Desert Storm these tiles were painted a tan or brown color. The NATOflage and Summer/Tropic MERDC tanks were then further painted a desertish color either partially or completely. No real hard rule for the additional color. It was a very motley looking bunch of vehicles heading North in 1991.
I would just be patient if I were wanting to build a 1/35 scale USMC M60A1(RISE)Passive w/ERA hog.
Happy USMC modeling!
Mike sends . . .
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 09:04 AM UTC
I have a Gunze Sangyo M60A1 RISE w/ Passive Armor, one of their "high tech" kits. The tank is the old Esci M60 with white metal ERA pieces. Stated to be the U.S. Marine version. How accurate is it? Meaning the ERA parts, the tank part I already know.

Edit: Just found a Academy 1349 Marine M60A1 with ERA. Guess I should go thru my stash more often.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 10:34 AM UTC
MILES!! How the heck are you! Long time since we crawled through all those wrecks. Miss you guys. Get to me at

[email protected].
 _GOTOTOP