_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
looking for a "Willy"Jeep ?
jonsteed47
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 11:37 PM UTC
I am looking for a US Army in 1/35 scale for a diorama does any company still make them at all ?
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 11:54 PM UTC
Bronco, Dragon, Italeri and Tamiya all make a WWII Willys Jeep. Look for WWII 1/4 ton truck, or utility truck. Bronco also makes a Ford Jeep.

Jeep trademarked the name, and the Ford designed grill, and no one wants to pay the high license cost to use the name.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 12:24 AM UTC
Go over to ebay and grab an older Italeri or Tamiya Jeep for about $10. BTW: It's a "Willys" jeep -- correctly pronounced "WILL-IS"

However, in popular culture, it's been pronounced "WILL-EEZ". But Mr. Willys pronounced his name "WILLIS"
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 05:48 AM UTC
See here:
https://www.scalemates.com/search-solr.php?q=Willys+Jeep&fkSECTION[&fkSECTION[]=Kits
Its a list of kits that have been released. You can refine your search in terms of scale, etc. Am not sure it covers all, but it still gives quite a number of choices. Another good thing is that it has the kit numbers making it easier to track down your kit of choice.
RickC5
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 05:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Go over to ebay and grab an older Italeri or Tamiya Jeep for about $10. BTW: It's a "Willys" jeep -- correctly pronounced "WILL-IS"

However, in popular culture, it's been pronounced "WILL-EEZ". But Mr. Willys pronounced his name "WILLIS"

I agree with Roy. Get a Tamiya 1/4 ton truck (Jeep) #35219 off eBay. It's inexpensive, an easy build and is an accurate representation of the WWII Jeep you're looking for.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bronco, Dragon, Italeri and Tamiya all make a WWII Willys Jeep. Look for WWII 1/4 ton truck, or utility truck. Bronco also makes a Ford Jeep.

Jeep trademarked the name, and the Ford designed grill, and no one wants to pay the high license cost to use the name.

Strictly speaking, Bronco makes a Ford GPW jeep, but the differences between it and a Willys MB are very slight. During the war, they were all called jeeps, a slang term probably derived from the designation of the 1941 Ford version, which was known as the GP (the Willys product didn't become the Jeep, capitalized and trademarked, until well after the war ended). Because of the trademark fee issue, many kit companies now refer to the jeep only as a "1/4 Ton Truck," which may confuse newbies.
Tamiya's is probably the best MB available, though Italeri's isn't bad (though one batch of Italeri Jeeps was issued with the cutaway grill intended for the SAS version, a weird mistake, or perhaps an excess of caution after Jeep trademarked the grill design as well as the name).
Heller also offered a Hotchkiss Jeep (built in France under license until the 1960's). Again, not a lot of differences between it and the basic Wllys version.
The primitive Monogram kit is also floating around, sometimes in a Revell box. A Snap-Tite version was once offered by Monogram, which had an open canvas top, the only version with that feature I can recall.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Strictly speaking, Bronco makes a Ford GPW jeep, but the differences between it and a Willys MB are very slight. During the war, they were all called jeeps, a slang term probably derived from the designation of the 1941 Ford version, which was known as the GP (the Willys product didn't become the Jeep, capitalized and trademarked, until well after the war ended). Because of the trademark fee issue, many kit companies now refer to the jeep only as a "1/4 Ton Truck," which may confuse newbies.
Tamiya's is probably the best MB available, though Italeri's isn't bad (though one batch of Italeri Jeeps was issued with the cutaway grill intended for the SAS version, a weird mistake, or perhaps an excess of caution after Jeep trademarked the grill design as well as the name).
Heller also offered a Hotchkiss Jeep (built in France under license until the 1960's). Again, not a lot of differences between it and the basic Wllys version.
The primitive Monogram kit is also floating around, sometimes in a Revell box. A Snap-Tite version was once offered by Monogram, which had an open canvas top, the only version with that feature I can recall.

The Italeri jeep had a canvas top when I built one years ago. I've worked on both Willys and Ford jeeps, and the Ford is almost a carbon copy of the original Willys. The front cross member on the Ford is a U shaped stamped metal part, on the Willys it is a formed metal tube. The Ford is also about 200 pounds heavier than the Willys because Henry thought it was to flimsy and added inserts in the frame to strengthen it. If I remember some metal is thicker as well.

On both jeeps the front frame where the front spring attaches by the bumper is the weak spot.

And, the WWII Willys 1/4 ton truck is actually a Bantam design. The Army gave the contract to Willys because they felt Bantam would not be able to make enough of them, then asked Ford to join in.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The Italeri jeep had a canvas top when I built one years ago. I've worked on both Willys and Ford jeeps, and the Ford is almost a carbon copy of the original Willys. The front cross member on the Ford is a U shaped stamped metal part, on the Willys it is a formed metal tube. The Ford is also about 200 pounds heavier than the Willys because Henry thought it was to flimsy and added inserts in the frame to strengthen it. If I remember some metal is thicker as well.

On both jeeps the front frame where the front spring attaches by the bumper is the weak spot.

And, the WWII Willys 1/4 ton truck is actually a Bantam design. The Army gave the contract to Willys because they felt Bantam would not be able to make enough of them, then asked Ford to join in.

Well, it was a Bantam concept. The Army rather high-handedly gave Bantam's plans to Ford and Willys, and invited them to offer comparable designs. All three companies got production contracts in 1941, and the Army tested them extensively. It would seem the Army was never serious about Bantam, as they passed much of its production run on to Lend Lease.
Willys' design won out chiefly because of its more powerful engine, and the Ford design was conformed to match it for parts commonality. Both companies' output was needed to fulfill the vast needs of the Allied war effort. Bantam simply didn't have the production capacity, and got a small contract for trailers, instead. Bantam eventually went out of business.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well, it was a Bantam concept. The Army rather high-handedly gave Bantam's plans to Ford and Willys, and invited them to offer comparable designs. All three companies got production contracts in 1941, and the Army tested them extensively. It would seem the Army was never serious about Bantam, as they passed much of its production run on to Lend Lease.
Willys' design won out chiefly because of its more powerful engine, and the Ford design was conformed to match it for parts commonality. Both companies' output was needed to fulfill the vast needs of the Allied war effort. Bantam simply didn't have the production capacity, and got a small contract for trailers, instead. Bantam eventually went out of business.

Hi, Mark!

Just to add to all of this by and large EXCELLENT information from all the contributors in this thread, let me mention this little bit of trivia:

The "Jeep" was actually called the "Peep" in it's original form, just to coincide with the Dodge WC-series 3/4-ton Trucks, which were called the "Beep". There's an oft-told story that goes with the "Jeep" name:

Supposedly, WWII GIs didn't care for the "Peep" name very much, because it sounded a little bit too "sissified", and so, they re-christened the cute, but very rugged little 1/4-ton Truck as the "Jeep". They called it the "Jeep" because the Jeeps seemed multiply like rabbits, and they seemed to be everywhere all at once, just like the little "Popeye" cartoon character "Jeep", whose name was derived from the little noise it made, which sounded like,

"Jeep! Jeep!".

Other stories include the other oft-told story that the "Jeep" name came from "GP", an abbreviation of part of the Jeep's Official Military Designation, i.e: "1/4-ton Truck, 4x4, General Purpose"...

Which of these two little fables, or any others that you may choose to believe, the "Jeep" name is here to stay, no matter WHO produces a certain modernized and much more cushy version of this LEGENDARY WWII vehicle.

The only similarity between the WWII Jeep and the JEEP (TM) vehicles that we see on the road today, (and performing improbable feats of mechanical prowess on TV), is that they are both 4-Wheel Drive Vehicles, and they happen to have Steering Wheels. EVERYTHING ELSE has changed.

My advice, BUY the 1/35 TAMIYA US 1/4-Ton 4x4 Truck. TAMIYA and the other manufacturers are not licensed to use the "JEEP" name-brand, so if you're going to buy a WWII Jeep kit, you'll have to search for it under the above designation. TAMIYA Jeeps can be had for as little as $5.00 USD + Shipping, if purchased from one of the Asian vendors on ebay. US and European vendors will charge more, but you'll probably see it in your mailbox a lot quicker than from one of the ebay Asian vendors, who charge "rock-bottom pricing"; this is because they will ship it to you via "Slow-boat", or by way of a 137-year old man, sitting astride a tired, equally-old YAK, if they can get away with it...

No, seriously- A LOT of the Asian vendors, (yes, even on ebay), are VERY reputable, and I personally have done business with quite a few of them, including LUCKY MODEL, and I was always very satisfied with the merchandise, it's condition upon arrival, the vendors' integrity, and the very reasonable "turn-around time"...

And now, my opinion, for what it's worth...

The main difference between the DRAGON & BRONCO Jeep kits versus the TAMIYA Jeeps, is that the DRAGON & BRONCO Jeeps are a bit more detailed, including "complete" Engines and Transmissions, and Engine Bays, allowing one to display them with their Hoods open, (Bonnets, for our British and Commonwealth friends), without having to resort to aftermarket details. Of course, there are those of us who will go out and buy additional PE and resin Updates and such, just because we are drooling, "damaged-merchandise" to begin with!

However, there are ALSO many of us that leave the 1/35 TAMIYA Jeep, and the others well-enough alone. For a simple, yet comprehensive, and a very satisfying build for the right money, I once again, recommend the TAMIYA kit. You really can't go wrong with it. The old ITALERI kit isn't bad at all- I just prefer the TAMIYA kit, personally. In my eye, the TAMIYA kit has crisper detail, better fitting parts, isn't quite as "fiddly" during assembly, and is made of an all-around better quality of plastic. I think that TAMIYA has captured "the look" of the US WWII Jeep, as well...

I hope all of the info that the other contributors have mentioned, along with my "two-cents worth", will help you out in your making a decision. Whichever kit you ultimately choose, GOOD LUCK, and HAPPY MODELLING!!!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

More or less. The Ford prototype was also too heavy, and had front springs like the Soviet GAZ. The Ford prototype and the Ford production jeep are completely different.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 05:12 AM UTC
Tamiya actually has the license from Jeep to use the name and logo. Their basic 1/35 kit has Jeep Willys MB emblazoned on the box. However since each boxing has to get separate licensing some boxings have gone the 1/4 ton truck route.

Tamiya probably has it because of all the remote control Jeeps they do.

Italeri has the Jeep license for two of their kits: the basic 1/24 and 1/35 boxings.

The variant boxings are forced to go theat generic truck 1/4 ton route.

By the way the basic boxing of the Italeri has the canvas top and trailer.

Trademarks: making the world more difficult one word at a time (TM)
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Trademarks: making the world more difficult one word at a time (TM)

That's too funny!

When Fiat bought Chrysler the rules might have changed as well.
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Italeri has the Jeep license for two of their kits: the basic 1/24 and 1/35 boxings.

Ditto with Hasegawa and its 1/24 "Jeep Willys MB".

"Jeep" was in common usage as early as 1938 as a name for a type of Santa Fe locomotive.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ditto with Hasegawa and its 1/24 "Jeep Willys MB".

"Jeep" was in common usage as early as 1938 as a name for a type of Santa Fe locomotive.

You're thinking of the GM-Electromotive Division's GP-series of Diesel-Electric Locomotives that were used by nearly every US Railroad, including the Santa Fe Railroad. (Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad). These were referred to as "Geeps", not "Jeeps"...

Your "type of Santa Fe locomotive" is kind of a misstatement- A "Santa Fe type of Locomotive" would be a totally different animal, i.e, the "Santa Fe-type" was a Steam Locomotive, with the name referring to it's wheel arrangement, following the "Whyte System" of Steam Locomotive Identification.

A "Santa Fe"-type is a Steam Locomotive with the 2-10-2 Wheel arrangement, i.e, 2 "Pony", or "Pilot" Wheels on the Front Truck, 5 much larger "Drivers", i.e, the driving wheels that propel the Locomotive either forwards or backwards, and 2 smaller wheels on the Trailing Truck, which in turn, supports the weight of the Firebox and Cab. This 2-10-2 Wheel Arrangement was first used on the Santa Fe Railroad, hence the name "Santa Fe", was assigned to the 2-10-2 Wheel Arrangement, forever more...

Other famous wheel arrangements also received names- The New York Central's "Hudsons" are famous the world over for their phenomenal service records, dependability and speediness. This was the 4-6-4 Wheel Arrangement, which is generally known as the "Hudson". Interestingly, the "Milwaukee Road", whose proper name is the Chicago, Milwaukee, St.Paul & Pacific Railroad was also developing a Steam Locomotive with the same 4-6-4 Wheel Arrangement, which they chose to name the "Baltic". If the Milwaukee Road had beaten the New York Central's "Hudson" to the rails, the 4-6-4 Wheel Arrangement would have been called the "Baltic", instead of the "Hudson". It was only by a matter of DAYS, that the New York Central J-series 4-6-4 beat the Milwaukee's F-series 4-6-4...

So, a 2-8-4 is known as a "Berkshire", a 4-6-2 is a "Pacific", a 4-6-0 is a "Ten-Wheeler", a 4-4-2 is an "Atlantic", and so on, down the whole varied series of Wheel Arrangements...
Wolfhound113
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 49 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 04:55 PM UTC
Hi,

Miniart do a couple of Bantam jeeps. The basic jeep design is all there (obviously) but there are all sorts of different details.
Search for "Miniart British (or Soviet) staff car" as the title may not have "Bantam 40 BRC" in it.

http://www.miniart-models.com/index.htm?/35050.htm (Britsh)
http://www.miniart-models.com/index.htm?/35048.htm (Soviet)

And we have Tamiya's GAZ 67B, their amphibious jeep, and a few post-war jeeps like FineMolds' Type 73 and Skybow/AFV Club's M38A1.

There was a campaign back in 2012 here where all the Jeep-a-holics gleefully came out of the closet. In true Armorama tradition it runs to 24 pages and is stuffed with information, model-wise, build-wise, accessory-wise, history-wise and other-wise.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/196882&page=1

Take any advice about colours with a grain of salt. They were regularly repainted. They were also regularly stolen. The USMC, full of righteous indignation, once stole a jeep back which the Navy had stolen from them, only to discover when they sanded it (to get the grey off) that the base coat under their green was grey - oops, they had in fact originally stolen it from the Navy.

Grtz,

Marc
 _GOTOTOP