_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of armor/AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
More What If Sherman's 1947/48.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 10:33 AM UTC
Not sure if I want this one to be a build log because I'm going to be putting a few Sherman builds here, all with the same idea. Getting ready to fight the Stalinists in 1947 or '48. I'll bring the JagdSherman build here when I decide to get back to it.

First up is a rather straight forward conversion, with some add ons to fit the theme. I got the Tasca British Sherman II DV at a swap meet. I wanted it for the M3 boogies, and desert war stuff which ended up in a kit bash to make an early M4A2 at El Alamein. All that's still in the box waiting. I'm going to use later M4 boogies, cast nose and the usual upgrades seen on the M4A1's. The later gun mantlet will have the M1A2 76mm with the muzzle brake. I looked for the RB barrel, and there aren't any. I managed to find an Aber barrel for 20.00, but it is in the post. I have a Kaizen track set for it, and might use extended end connectors.

Other odds and ends will be pulled into the project as I go, and I'm still thinking about added armor. With the narrow VVSS, not a lot of armor.

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 05:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not sure if I want this one to be a build log because I'm going to be putting a few Sherman builds here, all with the same idea. Getting ready to fight the Stalinists in 1947 or '48. I'll bring the JagdSherman build here when I decide to get back to it.

First up is a rather straight forward conversion, with some add ons to fit the theme. I got the Tasca British Sherman II DV at a swap meet. I wanted it for the M3 boogies, and desert war stuff which ended up in a kit bash to make an early M4A2 at El Alamein. All that's still in the box waiting. I'm going to use later M4 boogies, cast nose and the usual upgrades seen on the M4A1's. The later gun mantlet will have the M1A2 76mm with the muzzle brake. I looked for the RB barrel, and there aren't any. I managed to find an Aber barrel for 20.00, but it is in the post. I have a Kaizen track set for it, and might use extended end connectors.

Other odds and ends will be pulled into the project as I go, and I'm still thinking about added armor. With the narrow VVSS, not a lot of armor.

Hi, Randall!

Are you going to use the "original" Turret, i.e, the one with only the SINGLE Commander's "double"-Hatch Cupola, or are you going to go for an altogether newer-design Turret, such as the later Turret with the Loader's Hatch, or maybe the T23 Turret, for instance..?

Just curious...
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 08:07 PM UTC
More nifty stuff, cool!
I'm also interested in seeing those tracks go together.
pstansell
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Armorama: 163 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 09:22 PM UTC
If you think that you're too good to boogie,

Well, now honey I've got news for you:

EVERYbody here has got to boogie,

There is NO exception to the rule...
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 09:40 PM UTC
More Frankenshermans! I love your builds Randall!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, Randall!

Are you going to use the "original" Turret, i.e, the one with only the SINGLE Commander's "double"-Hatch Cupola, or are you going to go for an altogether newer-design Turret, such as the later Turret with the Loader's Hatch, or maybe the T23 Turret, for instance..?

Just curious...

Dennis,

I'm going to have to use the kits 75mm turret on this one. The T23 turret mantlet blocks the drivers hatch. The turret will be improved. I wish Asuka would make a late 75mm turret for their M4A3 kit. It would save a lot of time on kit swaps. The T23 would look nice on a Composite hull (spoiler alert!) but that's in the future.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

More nifty stuff, cool!
I'm also interested in seeing those tracks go together.

I did a test with the T-80, and I liked how these go together. Time consuming, but they are more durable than others I've tried.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Try saying boogie three times really fast.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

More Frankenshermans! I love your builds Randall!

Thanks Matthew. Once it cools off here in AZ I'll get some paint.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 03:00 AM UTC
The Tasca/Asuka hull gets quicker with each build. The hull is riveted, which will save some time on the welds. Once the glue sets for a day I will run a little liquid glue along the seams to fill the gaps. I've had trouble with this hull in the past, but this time it went smoothly.

There are some seams along the DV inserts. These will be covered with applique, and the visors welded, so not a problem. I'm keeping this one a radial powered tank. Upgraded, not radically altered.

Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 03:45 AM UTC
You mean like the US did IRL for their post war allies?

m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You mean like the US did IRL for their post war allies?

Ah, one of the old Indo-Pakistan target practice M4A1's.

That's more or less the base tank for this project.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 05:43 AM UTC
What I have so far. The base build will be more or less what Can'tstop posted. Mine will be a bit different. Those Pakistani M4A1's were nice looking tanks, just a bit out classed by India's Centurions.

The 76mm is from the Tamiya M4A3E8, just tacked together to test the look. The Aber barrel is for the Tamiya kit so should be a quick glue on.

m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:38 AM UTC
A little progress. I wanted to eliminate the cut-out in the hull rear, and decided the simplest way is to add the plates to protect the air cleaners, and use them to cover the arcs in the hull rear and just run a strip across. Once the air cleaners are on I'll figure out the air deflector I want.

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What I have so far. The base build will be more or less what Can'tstop posted. Mine will be a bit different. Those Pakistani M4A1's were nice looking tanks, just a bit out classed by India's Centurions.

The 76mm is from the Tamiya M4A3E8, just tacked together to test the look. The Aber barrel is for the Tamiya kit so should be a quick glue on.

Question answered!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 11:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Try saying boogie three times really fast.

BOOGIE-BOOGIE-BOOGIE!!!

We always talked FAST in Brooklyn, so saying Boogie three times fast is a piece o' cake...

Did you know that a "NEW YORK MINUTE" goes about 3-seconds..?

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 11:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, Randall!

Just curious...

Dennis,

I'm going to have to use the kits 75mm turret on this one. The T23 turret mantlet blocks the drivers hatch. The turret will be improved. I wish Asuka would make a late 75mm turret for their M4A3 kit. It would save a lot of time on kit swaps. The T23 would look nice on a Composite hull (spoiler alert!) but that's in the future.

If you have a TAMIYA M4 105mm Howitzer kit laying around, the Turret in that kit will give you a "Late" 75mm-style Turret with the Loader's Hatch, AND the "Single-Hatch" Commander's Cupola with integral Vision Blocks.

Or, BETTER YET, if you have the DRAGON M4 105mm Howitzer kit, and if you don't mind "sacrificing" the parts, that kit will supply you with the "Late" 75mm-style Turret, and BOTH the "Double-Hatch" Commander's Cupola, and the "last-design" "Single-Hatch" Commander's Cupola in Gray plastic, PLUS CLEAR plastic Vision Blocks...

Of course, there is also The NEW TMD, after-market manufacturer extraordinaire, which can supply you with several "Late" Turret designs, for which they also supply ALL of the resin "goodies" that you'll need to fit them out properly- Cupolas, Hatches, Periscopes, Lifting Lugs, the whole NINE YARDS!
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 07:57 PM UTC
What distributer would have those TMD sets avalible in the UK, Dennis?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What distributer would have those TMD sets avalible in the UK, Dennis?

Hi, Tim!

I'm not sure, but I'll be glad to check which UK Distributors TMD deals with, for you-

They also do some REEEALLY GREAT WWII German stuff, Russo-Soviet stuff, BRITISH stuff, and what-all else! They have some really GREAT Conversion kits, as well as parts for all concerned...

Back in a flash!

I'm back-

I just emailed The New TMD regarding your question as to UK Distributors. I just checked the site- (Joe Bakanovic is the Owner/Operator, and he's readily accessable, AND more than willing to answer any and all questions.

Just log on to: www.newtmd.com

You can ask questions and set up an account, if you want to. The New TMD is definitely worth a look- The site is very user-friendly, the Parts and Conversion kits are beautifully cast, and the Detail is SUPERB!

Hope this helps!
stufer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:55 PM UTC
Tim,
Order direct from Joe,set up an account and buy what takes your fancy,nothing but good things to say about NewTMD and their service to the UK

Steve
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, Randall!

Just curious...

Dennis,

If you have a TAMIYA M4 105mm Howitzer kit laying around, the Turret in that kit will give you a "Late" 75mm-style Turret with the Loader's Hatch, AND the "Single-Hatch" Commander's Cupola with integral Vision Blocks.

Or, BETTER YET, if you have the DRAGON M4 105mm Howitzer kit, and if you don't mind "sacrificing" the parts, that kit will supply you with the "Late" 75mm-style Turret, and BOTH the "Double-Hatch" Commander's Cupola, and the "last-design" "Single-Hatch" Commander's Cupola in Gray plastic, PLUS CLEAR plastic Vision Blocks...

Of course, there is also The NEW TMD, after-market manufacturer extraordinaire, which can supply you with several "Late" Turret designs, for which they also supply ALL of the resin "goodies" that you'll need to fit them out properly- Cupolas, Hatches, Periscopes, Lifting Lugs, the whole NINE YARDS!

Dennis, I've got the DML M4 105 kit, but it's for a project. I'm staying away from getting any resin parts for my Sherman's at the moment.

What I like about the Tasca/Asuka M4 series is that the parts are interchangeable. The turret from a 76mm M4A3 fits perfectly on a M4 DV hull. No conversion needed. The same for the hulls. I did discover the Asuka M4 upper hull fits nicely on the new Tamiya M4A3E8 lower hull.

The Tasca/Asuka M4 series is not perfect, but I'll stick with them for the time being, and hope for that late 75mm turret. They already have the hull.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:49 PM UTC
After looking at a lot of pictures of the M4A1E's, post war rebuilds I wanted to check the length of the 76mm barrel. I put a 76mm turret on another project hull, and compared it to the Tamiya barrel I'm using as a fill in. It matches up ok, and you can see how the T23 mantlet blocks the front hatches.

m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:14 PM UTC
A Composite hull test fit on the A1 hull. The T23 fits perfectly. The mantlet covers the front hatches, but since the hatches pivot forward they clear the mantlet. Actually Chrysler wanted to use the Composite hull on the M4A3, but the Army went with the welded design from Fisher. My plan is to make a M4A3E8 Composite hull. Gun type has not been decided on. 75mm KwK, 76mm US, or 90mm US.

I'm thinking the T23 turrets would be re-armed with the US 90mm, and spare guns would be put in the 75mm turrets. There was a lot of good advice, and thoughts, in the Sherman/Panther thread. After a little eye-balling I think the 75 KwK could be mounted in the 76mm turret much easier than in the 75 turret. There is no way the 88 fits in any of the turrets.

Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:20 PM UTC
Did you ever think of moving the transmission for such a Sherman to the rear in order to lower the hull height, Randall.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you ever think of moving the transmission for such a Sherman to the rear in order to lower the hull height, Randall.

Yes, and I might do something along those lines in the future. It would probably look more Centurion than Pershing. It would need a long engine deck like the Centurion to fit the transmission in the rear.
 _GOTOTOP