_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Issue with consistent flow in airbrush
randis
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 11:17 PM UTC
Hello,

I'm doing my first armor, a Marder 1A2 from Tamiya, and decided to try the 3-tone nato scheme. To really get the upper hand on the camo painting I bought a new airbrush, a HS evolution solo (0.2). However, since the start of painting this tank I've been struggling with the airbrush shooting blanks.

I am able to paint with it if I keep a high flow, but when I get down to the edges between the color fields I want a very thin transition between the colors and therefor, of course, I need to adjust the needle lever properly. It's when I do this i start to get problems. Very quickly the paint stops flowing and I get the impression that there is a stop inside the nozzle.

Many times I can clear it by "full throttle" against a newspaper and then start over with the detailed lines again. However the joy is short lived. After a short time 10-60 seconds the paint stops flowing again. Especially if i make a small interruption to the flow.

Sometimes going "full throttle" is not enough either. Then I have to jerk the needle lever back and forth repeatedly to allow the needle to actually push some paint out of the nozzle until paint starts flowing again. But it's the problem is soon back.

Some details about my setup:
Paint: Vallejo Air Nato Black/Brown/Green
Paint mix: Tried everything between "out of the bottle" to 1 part paint and 2 paint/thinner. The thinner is Tamiya. I've also tried to replace thinner with airflow improver from Vallejo.
Air pressure: 10 - 30 psi

Note: I do get a slight back blow of air into the cup sometimes, but it is very little.

Where am I go wrong? This is really taking the fun out of it entirely. However those short moments when it's spraying as expected the results are absolutely wonderful.

Is the paint drying? Do I need to keep a higher pace to keep the paint coming? It's not like I go make my self a cup of coffee, but I might need to stop for a couple of seconds to check the reference photos, adjust my grip etc.

Any ideas are welcome.
Cheers
Anders
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 11:51 PM UTC
I am wondering if it is a reaction between the Vallejo paint and Tamiya thinner. I have never used Tamiya thinner with Vallejo, but they are two different Acrylic formulas. I have always used Vallejo thinner mixed with a little Flo-Aid or Testor Acrylic thinner.

It could also be that your airbrush needs a good cleaning.
stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 12:38 AM UTC
Well i would use the recommended thinner with the paints. I never used tamiya but its a alcohol based acrylic i believe so i can imagine the thinner being much different that vallejo thinner which is for water based acrylic paint.

Also you have a .2 needle. That is super small so you paint will need to be pretty thin and i found it takes some time to get the right consistency down.

steve
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 01:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,

I'm doing my first armor, a Marder 1A2 from Tamiya, and decided to try the 3-tone nato scheme. To really get the upper hand on the camo painting I bought a new airbrush, a HS evolution solo (0.2). However, since the start of painting this tank I've been struggling with the airbrush shooting blanks.

I am able to paint with it if I keep a high flow, but when I get down to the edges between the color fields I want a very thin transition between the colors and therefor, of course, I need to adjust the needle lever properly. It's when I do this i start to get problems. Very quickly the paint stops flowing and I get the impression that there is a stop inside the nozzle.

Many times I can clear it by "full throttle" against a newspaper and then start over with the detailed lines again. However the joy is short lived. After a short time 10-60 seconds the paint stops flowing again. Especially if i make a small interruption to the flow.

Sometimes going "full throttle" is not enough either. Then I have to jerk the needle lever back and forth repeatedly to allow the needle to actually push some paint out of the nozzle until paint starts flowing again. But it's the problem is soon back.

Some details about my setup:
Paint: Vallejo Air Nato Black/Brown/Green
Paint mix: Tried everything between "out of the bottle" to 1 part paint and 2 paint/thinner. The thinner is Tamiya. I've also tried to replace thinner with airflow improver from Vallejo.
Air pressure: 10 - 30 psi

Note: I do get a slight back blow of air into the cup sometimes, but it is very little.

Where am I go wrong? This is really taking the fun out of it entirely. However those short moments when it's spraying as expected the results are absolutely wonderful.

Is the paint drying? Do I need to keep a higher pace to keep the paint coming? It's not like I go make my self a cup of coffee, but I might need to stop for a couple of seconds to check the reference photos, adjust my grip etc.

Any ideas are welcome.
Cheers
Anders

hi, Anders!

I agree with everything the other modellers have written back to you. Another thing you may want to try is to filter your paint through a very fine screen or even a coffee filter before you transfer your paint into your color cup or color jar. Your paint should be thinned to the consistency of milk, i.e, it should drip freely without any hesitation off of the tip of the blunt, solid tip of a paint stirrer or paint brush. You also want to make sure that your paint has been properly shaken AND stirred- make sure that there are no globules of partly solidified paint in your paint mixtures. Thinners are VERY IMPORTANT! I recommend using ONLY thinners that are manufactured by the same company as you paint. That, in and of itself, can also save you a lot of headaches...

Good Luck!
flippen_waffles
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 04:29 AM UTC
As others have said, the issue is the Tamiya thinner. It "curdles" the Vallejo paint and will cause clogging in the nozzle. That is why it works briefly when you full throttle it because the nozzle is cleared of the little debris.

Try using water to thin your Vallejo paints. I thin Vallejo, AK, Ammo, and life color with water and do not have any issues. Also, try running water through the airbrush after you're done spraying to get any left over paint out of the brush. Then clean break it down and clean with solvent. Hope this helps!
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 04:32 AM UTC
What the others have said.

Also you are getting paint drying at the tip especially with a .2 tip.
So keep a Qtip soaked with thinner close by and periodically
wipe the airbrush tip...this will dislodge any dried paint
and you can continue to airbrush.

Cheers,
Joe
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 05:18 AM UTC
Yup ... what the others have said. Use Vallejo Thinner with Vallejo Acrylics. I had that very same problem, i.e. mixing brands. And keep that AB clean.

—mike
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 07:46 AM UTC
Get some Vallejo airbrush thinner #71361. It's actually thinner than water and it has a retarder in it to delay tip drying. With Vallejo Air you don't need to thin it much, if at all. Shoot at 10 PSI and get close. Keep that Q-Tip of thinner handy to clean the nozzle when it clogs and you should zip right along.
randis
Visit this Community
Värmland, Sweden
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:23 PM UTC
Many thanks for your answers! I think I do need to go get some decent thinner . We only have a Wargaming shop in town focusing on GW/Citadel, but I've seen them having some vallejo paints in stock every now and then, so I will go there and check tomorrow. I might do the test with water in the meantime.

Hopefully I can report back tomorrow after trying Vallejo thinner. Otherwise I have to order it and that might be a few days.

As of cleaning I think I am fairly thorough and does what someone mentioned; running water through it and finishing of by spraying some Airbrush cleaner from Vallejo. The hardest part to clean, I think, is the nozzle. It is fragile and its hard to reach the inside of the tip. What are your methods of cleaning that?

Good point, having some thinner ready to wipe the airbrush tip every now and then.

You guys are really giving me hope

I will save my Tamiya thinner for other uses. In worst case scenario I might be able to fire up the stove with it a cold day in December.
 _GOTOTOP