_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Academy: M4A3 Battle of the Bulge
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 02:21 PM UTC

Academy has announced a new version of the Sherman tank, in this case it will be an M4A3(76)W from the Battle of the Bulge.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Academy has announced a new version of the Sherman tank, in this case it will be an M4A3(76)W from the Battle of the Bulge.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Hi, Carlos!

Do you happen to know if the T48 Tracks w/Duckbills are single-piece vinyl, "link-and-length" or individual-link Tracks..?
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 04:51 PM UTC
I would think they're the same vinyl tracks as the M36B1, looks like it in the photo.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 05:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would think they're the same vinyl tracks as the M36B1, looks like it in the photo.

Thank You, Dave! I was afraid of that. IMO, the ACADEMY Tracks are "not so hot", so aftermarket Tracks would be in order, in my case, anyway... Maybe I'd be further ahead to stick with the ASUKA/TASCA M4A3 VVSS (76mm) kits. I like to replace the vinyl Tracks on the ASUKA Shermans with aftermarket Tracks as well...
pstansell
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Armorama: 163 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 05:59 PM UTC
I guess this would be the follow-up to their M4A2 76mm of so many years ago?

Weird timing to release it now with the presence of the Asuka kits...

Pat
MMiR
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 06:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pat
MMiR

Not everybody can afford Asuka/Tasca!

As far as tracks go, if you see a Sherman with track sag it's got a problem, so I don't see any point in aftermarket tracks (just a personal view I know, but why spend money on stuff you don't need!)
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 06:56 PM UTC
Is it just me or do the weld beads along the side look to be imprinted rather then raised/embossed?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 07:24 PM UTC
There can be a slight sag in live track but it's at the front or rear or even a float over the rollers just like a rubber band. But it usually occurs when the tank is moving.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 07:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There can be a slight sag in live track but it's at the front or rear or even a float over the rollers just like a rubber band. But it usually occurs when the tank is moving.

Steve is right! However, I've seen Shermans, Stuarts, M18s, M1Os and lots of other US Tanks and AFVs which use "Live Tracks", showing the very slightest, (barely noticeable, even if you get right up close), "Track-Sag". This is so, even when the vehicle is stationary, or parked, as I've seen at various reenactments and museums. This "sag" is only due to the great weight of the Tracks, and NOT through a lack of proper Track-tension adjustments. US Tech Manuals state that "Live Tracks" should be "adjusted as tightly as possible, without binding the moving components"... (paraphrased)

Also, watch actual US Tanks and AFVs with "Live Tracks" when they are running at speed, and "Track-sag" will be VERY noticeable just BELOW the Sprocket; the Tracks will seem to oscillate in an "up-and-down" fashion. Nothing like watching a Tank charge around on an open field, or a P-51, P-47, Corsair, or a Spitfire going "full-bore, down on the deck"!!!
hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:49 PM UTC
Nice!!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pat
MMiR

Hi, Pat!

How's "SON of SHERMAN" Volume 2 coming along? We "Shermaholics" are waiting with open arms!
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Pat
MMiR

Not everybody can afford Asuka/Tasca!

*sigh* Buy their kits from Japan, the prices are so much more reasonable.
ULIX-VM
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 834 posts
Armorama: 649 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 03:21 AM UTC
this type of sherman coming late in the war.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pat
MMiR

But this one is in 1/35nd
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 05:06 AM UTC
You know an Academy kit retail is similar to a Tsuka kit from Asia. An Academy kit from Korea can be as low as $30 including postage. So it's still cheaper. And the extra stuff in the Asuka kit, I just don't need.

As far as track tension, I once saw a M60 missing its front idler drive by. The track was barely bowed out at the front , about as much as model kit band track, with no other visible sag. A string, two end connectors and a coin. Noone wants to fix a thrown track.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You know an Academy kit retail is similar to a Tsuka kit from Asia. An Academy kit from Korea can be as low as $30 including postage. So it's still cheaper. And the extra stuff in the Asuka kit, I just don't need.

As far as track tension, I once saw a M60 missing its front idler drive by. The track was barely bowed out at the front , about as much as model kit band track, with no other visible sag. A string, two end connectors and a coin. Noone wants to fix a thrown track.

Whilst i agree that the Academy can be had for a lot cheaper it is a bit like comparing the Academy M60's with the new AFV to compare it to an Asuka/Tasca one. Their is definitely a market for these but there is a chasm between the two kits although the casual modeller would never notice nor care and I would saw they would be the majority purchaser from experience.
Al
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:33 PM UTC
You see it really comes down to she who must be obeyed. Can I convince her to let me get the $30 kit or the $50? She can't see the difference and after two decades of endless debate I came to see her point. I get as much out of one as I do the other. I have a shelf full of Academy M60 variants got off of people trading up the Afv-club kit.

Life is a lot more tolerable after I gave up the obsession with stupor detail that verged on a nervous disorder.

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 03:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You see it really comes down to she who must be obeyed. Can I convince her to let me get the $30 kit or the $50? She can't see the difference and after two decades of endless debate I came to see her point. I get as much out of one as I do the other. I have a shelf full of Academy M60 variants got off of people trading up the Afv-club kit.

Life is a lot more tolerable after I gave up the obsession with stupor detail that verged on a nervous disorder.

I hear what you're saying, Steve!

In my own case, I don't have a "Fearless Leader" around that I need to consult before opening my wallet- However, since 2010, I have to live on a limited budget, so I can empathize with you!

I have to limit myself in how MANY kits that I buy, and when I do buy, I make sure that I have enough $$$ on hand to buy the "extras" that I'll require to bring my new kit up to my own standards. Otherwise, I wait. The FIRST order of business on my agenda is to wait until prices of the latest kits come down, then, and ONLY then, do I start to scavenge on ebay like some starved vulture...
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 06:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i wouldn't disagree with that . I mainly build Shermans and have quite few non Asuka Shermans including Academy's M4A2 Mariens (Their spelling) which I really like so understand the issue. It is a good value kit generally and will appeal to a lot of buyers on a budget as do the Tamiya ones with all their issues.
As with all things in this hobby, each to their own

Al
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 07:58 AM UTC
I would guess this has many of the same parts from the M4A3 Caliope kit. The .50 cal was very nicely tooled. Box top says new tooling VVSS suspension, so maybe the issue with it sitting too high has been fixed. Gotta think positive. Price, clear instructions and ease of assembly will be big factors pushing this kit.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 08:25 AM UTC
Academy has been putting out some decent kits lately. Their 35t is sharp and accurate. I'll bet this Sherman will be easy to build, and easy to buy!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 08:44 AM UTC
And the real reason? To preempt a Tamiya M4A3 76mm VVSS. Between the new M10 and the M4A3E8 Tamiya has the parts.

But I want Tamiya to do a M4A1E8 first with NJ National Guard markings on the boxtop! Full color 50th Armored Division insignia on the front and turret sides...yup.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And the real reason? To preempt a Tamiya M4A3 76mm VVSS. Between the new M10 and the M4A3E8 Tamiya has the parts.

But I want Tamiya to do a M4A1E8 first with NJ National Guard markings on the boxtop! Full color 50th Armored Division insignia on the front and turret sides...yup.

Okay Steve I'll make sure that's on Mr. T's desk in the morning.
SKiernan
Visit this Community
Dordogne, France
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 10:29 PM UTC
I have enjoyed building Academy's other Shermans and look forward to this one.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have enjoyed building Academy's other Shermans and look forward to this one.

I've achieved a LOT of success with DRAGON's Shermans, myself. Of course, in my own case, I hardly EVER build anything "straight-out-of-the-box", anyway. I've used about every resin and PE aftermarket "jim-crack" that money can buy on my models, much to my "net worth's" detriment!!!

PS- I'm not bragging- I'm just addicted to building my stuff that way...
 _GOTOTOP