_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
★ Academy M1A1 "War Pig" 1st Tank ★
Lokis_Tyro
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 10:01 AM UTC
I've started the build over the weekend and so far it's been interesting. I don't know much about tanks but I'm doing my best to stay accurate, aside from the turret size. I'll be ordering the correct tracks, probably Bronco's. I'd like to add extra exterior detail as well. If anyone knows where I can get the pe for this kit that would be really helpful. Out of stock everywhere I look. I'll definitely need help along the way.

So I've built the road wheels, drilled out the (incorrect?) return roller's mud holes and assembled the sprockets & idlers. I think that's right.. Is there a missing detail on the road wheel bearing retainer nut? They're round with a slot, not multi-sided like the walk-around pics. I haven't found any pics of the actual War Pig where I can see them in detail yet.

billflorig
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:07 PM UTC
Andrew,

I'll be following this with interest! I am about to start the same kit! Best of luck, Bill
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there a missing detail on the road wheel bearing retainer nut? They're round with a slot, not multi-sided like the walk-around pics.

The two-lobed, slotted type are correct for an M1A1. The multi-sided ones are only on M1A2 SEP v2 tanks.
Lokis_Tyro
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 06:49 AM UTC
Thanks, Bill. I've noticed a lot of missing details so far and I'm only into step two.

Gino, thanks for the response. I looked at another m1a1 walkaround at primeportal and it shows the road wheels with the multi-sided nut. Thoughts? Links:

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/marc_peters/m1a1/

http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/marc_peters/m1a1/images/m1a1_07_of_71.jpg

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 07:15 AM UTC
The pic you linked to (below) is basically the same center hub, just with a little more square edges. Both types are correct for an M1A1.

I thought you were referring to the new, octagonal type used on M1A2 SEP V2s.
grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 08:30 AM UTC
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/136603
Lokis_Tyro
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 10:41 PM UTC
Thanks, Gino. Sorry for the confusion! The "turbine" type is well out of my league as far as scratch-building goes so I'll file an octagon into the circular hubs. Anything will look better than the roundies found in the kit.

Thanks for the link, Rod. I have that bookmarked along with a couple builds of the Academy kit.
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 06:30 PM UTC
I picked up one of these kits last night at my club's semi-annual auction. Practically stole it! I got it for $16.

I'll be watching this thread!

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 06:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I picked up one of these kits last night at my club's semi-annual auction. Practically stole it! I got it for $16.

That is because the kit is not that great. It has a short M1 turret (short by about 5mm, it shows in the area of the smoke grenade launchers where it is really cramped), and the tracks are the older T156 chevron block track that were replaced in the early '90s with T158 square block tracks. It also has no anti-slip coating, motorization holes in the hull, and all the issues/lack of details of the old Tamiya kit it was a copy of. The only saving grace to the kit is the new J sprue with some nice, updated/new pieces on it. I would keep the J sprue and dump the rest of the kit.
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 07:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That is because the kit is not that great. It has a short M1 turret (short by about 5mm, it shows in the area of the smoke grenade launchers where it is really cramped), and the tracks are the older T156 chevron block track that were replaced in the early '90s with T158 square block tracks. It also has no anti-slip coating, motorization holes in the hull, and all the issues/lack of details of the old Tamiya kit it was a copy of. The only saving grace to the kit is the new J sprue with some nice, updated/new pieces on it. I would keep the J sprue and dump the rest of the kit.

I might just use it as a tackling dummy then, to practice new finishing techniques.

I've got the old Dragon M1A2 SEP kit in my stack of stuff. As soon as I get the Tunguska done I'm going to take a break from tracks for a while and do the Trumpy M1117 Guardian to cleanse my palette!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 08:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got the old Dragon M1A2 SEP kit in my stack of stuff.

The Dragon Abrams kits (M1A1 AIM, M1A2 SEP, and M1A2 SEP v2) are light years ahead of any Academy kit. I would stick with them to get a very good Abrams model.
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 09:29 PM UTC
Roger that, sir! Circular error probability, zero. Impact with high order detonation!

Have a nice day!
69mudbone
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hey Guys, I would like to build USMC M-1 Tank 2003 on the road to Baghdad. Any recommendations would be most welcomed.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Guys, I wou ld like to build USMC M-1 Tank 2003 on the road to Baghdad. Any recommendations would be most welcomed.

The Tamiya M1A2 kit (35269) comes with the USMC parts and decal options for one. It is a pretty good kit, but lacks some of the finer details, to include the anti-slip coating. The coating can be added by following this thread.

For a really nice USMC Abrams, you can use the USMC parts from the Tamiya kit or the USMC parts from this Academy kit (on sprue J) and add them to a Dragon M1A1 AIM kit.

69mudbone
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 01:06 AM UTC
Gino, Thanks for your response. I think I will go with the Tamiya kit,and will try that spray can for anti slip I just finished a Trumpter kit my first and it was a nightmare. I have been out of the hobby for many years. I hope Tamiya still makes good kit. Again thanks
 _GOTOTOP