_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/144 "Firefly in a Jar"
MikeBrindos
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 09:58 PM UTC
That's right. It's a Firefly in a Jar. This is what I made for my Dad for his Birthday yesterday. A 1/144th scale Sherman Firefly in a Boccage scene in a Jar. This was fun. I'm thinking it wasn't nearly as challenging as a ship in a bottle would be, but it was certainly fun to figure it out lol.

The sand (from my vacation to Long Beach) is still wet in the pictures below so it looks a bit like mud and I don't expect it to fully dry for days.

I started with the Revell "Army Vehicles" set in 1/144 that has been hanging around Hobby Lobby for months. I picked it up for the trucks as I want to convert them to fuel/supply trucks for my 144th aircraft. I think it would make a neat little scene.

Okay, okay, on with the pictures.

I made the Firefly conversion myself. I think I did pretty good, except for the loader's hatch, wich is at the wrong angle. But that's what I get by going from memory and not looking up a reference picture before starting. :/

Paint turned out pretty good. I mixed up my own concoction to mimic a Bronze Green and the markings are hand painted except for the star on the second tank. That is a decal. I can't paint stars lol.

If you thought 144th planes are tiny...

And then it went into the Jar. I planned on putting both tanks in there, but only one would fit and not be pressed against the glass.

To say it was difficult to get pictures of it in the jar would be an understatement.

That is a project I wouldn't mind trying again. I just wish I could've found a lid for that Jar lol. I wouldn't want my Firefly to escape!

Thanks for looking-in guys. Any thoughts or ideas for improvement would be appreciated.
Rubicon
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 08:49 PM UTC
Very cool project!
 _GOTOTOP