1/35 U.S Army WWII tents?
ziggy1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 04:10 AM UTC
Gentelmen,
Ive been looking all over different online stores, and cannot find any U.S tents in 1/35. Any suggestions? Or do I scratch my own? I wouldn't even know where to start on scratch building one.
Any help would be great
Cheers,
Ziggy
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 08:20 AM UTC
What size tent were you looking for? The US Army didn't change the tent designs much from WWII through the 1980s until the new aluminum framed "Temper Tents" came out. for a long time the tents came in three sizes, GP Small, GP Medium and GP Large. There was also a Maintenance tent, and of course the ubiquitous shelter half--two were put together to "house" two soldiers lying down. There is a 1/35 manufacturer who has the shelter half in paper, and may also make a GP Medium, but the name escapes me right now. There's also an Armorama blog of a Vietnam Diorama in progress, with a GP Medium featured-- but I can't remember the name of the builder-- anyone else remember that? The medium was a good size tent with two upright posts and an central roof beam, which could house about 20 troops comfortably. The GP Large was just a larger version, with more support poles. The GP Small was a circular type tent with a central support pole and cone shaped roof, and usually housed 3-4 troops semi-comfortably, although I've seen as many as five in one. The maintenance tent was a very large tent, with large openings on either end. The shelter half was just a rectangular piece of canvas, with triangular panels on either end, one of which would serve as a door. So back to the question-- which tent are you looking for?
VR, Russ
ziggy1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 09:39 AM UTC
Im just looking for a 2 man field/pup tent
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hi,
J's Work is the company that put out the 1/35 US Army Shelter Tent set (PPA3077) which provides two shelter half tents. One made of two khaki shelter halves and one made of two OD shelter halves. The set was reviewed here on Armorama by Randy Harvey on May 5, 2013. Sorry I couldn't get the link to copy but you should be able to find it.

Hope this helps.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 10:16 AM UTC
There should be plenty of pictures of shelter half tents online, you could even search under GI Joe as it was offered in the action figure toy line complete with proper two piece poles, stakes and canvas shelter halves. It went together just like the real thing.

Two guys were each issued one shelter half (a approximately 4 by 6 foot piece of canvas with buttons, grommets and rope loops), a two piece pole and four or five tent stakes. If you were going to use the pup tent extra stakes never hurt.

You would button the two halves together, set them up on the poles and then hammer in the stakes into the outside rope loops and the front/rear end strings. Then your drill sergeant would demand you dig a whole drainage system around it.

When you had finished all that he would tell you that after field week in basic training you would never do this again because as a tanker you sleep on the tank
Taylortony
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 06:43 PM UTC
Some
Printable german ones here

http://www.fcmodeltips.com/search/label/descargas%20downloads
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 06:59 PM UTC
Another option :

H.P.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 08:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
J's Work is the company that put out the 1/35 US Army Shelter Tent set (PPA3077) which provides two shelter half tents. One made of two khaki shelter halves and one made of two OD shelter halves. The set was reviewed here on Armorama by Randy Harvey on May 5, 2013. Sorry I couldn't get the link to copy but you should be able to find it.

Hope this helps.

all J's stuff on LukyModel is free delivery!...
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2016 - 10:04 PM UTC
J's Work is the one I was thinking of, and I'd forgotten about the Tamiya one. Both are made from paper, seems to me the Shelter half tent could be made from any light weight paper easily enough- they are pretty simple-- like I said a rectangle with two triangles at the ends. Good luck!
VR Russ
 _GOTOTOP